Front brake calliper slider pin cap

tofu20v
Club4AG Regular

Front brake calliper slider pin cap

Postby tofu20v » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:20 am

Hi, I recently changed the brake pads and discs on my 1985 Trueno and put too much grease on the slider pin for RH front calliper (which I then forced on with a hammer when it wouldn't slide all the way) and it caused the cap at the back of the calliper to start coming off. Tried getting it properly seated again but it was fiddly and I rushed it - ended up coming off whilst driving.

I cannot find any part number for it nor is it part of any brake calliper rebuild kit I can find. Getting a new calliper isn't much of an option as parts are scarce in the UK. Anyone know anywhere to get this? Or would a generic metal cap of the right size hammered on and crimped down (as there's a slight ridge) suffice?

Here is the cap missing https://imgur.com/wBvChZX
https://imgur.com/4JvpMjg

Any help greatly appreciated, the pedal travel is very long despite a front calliper bleed so want to cross this off as a cause.

Thanks

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Front brake calliper slider pin cap

Postby davew7 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:37 am

A brake rebuild kit is not going to have that cap. I would look for an old tail lite bulb. Try cutting the socket end off, "shorten" then crimp or epoxy the cap to the caliper. Try bleeding the rear calipers. You can get air all the way up to the master cylinder when working on the front calipers. Also some time you just have to bed the pads in, if they are not perfectly square to the disc.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:50 pm

Anything will work, glop of RTV, cut a piece of tin/aluminum can, slightly oversize & tap it in, whatever..., hardly a necessary piece, Toyota hadda nicely machined piece with dust boots IIRC, while a lotta other stuff had their sliding stuff open & totally exposed, needing TLC every other year!

Slide is very unlikely to cause long pedal travel.
Push on the pedal, you see anything move? That's where the travel is going if it IS NOT compressing air.
Pedal mount or firewall bending, caliper piston/s not parallel to the disk, pads tapered, or that mickeymouse anti-rattle/squeal stuff?

Corey20v
Club4AG Regular

Postby Corey20v » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:38 am

old rubber brake lines can also cause mush. Now that i think about it, ive never adjusted a brake pedal push rod. That's probably the method with the booster push rod measurement tool. That would definitely add a ton of pedal travel if wrong.

As above, slider cover has no impact on pedal travel or feel. But could maaybe cause additional pad/rotor wear.. but the caliper would have been incredibly hard to install if that were the case
1986 SR5->20V ST (WIP!)
Other toys: 1993 S13 Coupe, 1993 NA6 Miata, 1996 Z32 300ZX

tofu20v
Club4AG Regular

Postby tofu20v » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:47 pm

In the end I used a 20 something mm engine frost plug I got on ebay and it worked great, thanks for the help guys!