Anyone build a 4AG 16v with the Brian Crower stroker kit?

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Anyone build a 4AG 16v with the Brian Crower stroker kit?

Postby yabaiani » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:22 pm

Just like the title says, has anyone ever built one and if so…what was the experience. Any pitfalls, any things to think about?

https://briancrower.com/makes/toyota/4age_stroker.shtml

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: Anyone build a 4AG 16v with the Brian Crower stroker kit?

Postby sirdeuce » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:06 pm

Looked at it and decided to go 7AGE. Why stop at an 83mm stroke? The 7AGE gives an 85.5 stroke. With the 83mm bore you get 1850cc, with the 83mm stroke you get 1795cc. Not that 50cc is all that much, you get it from a longer stroke which means more torque. The 7AGE has proven itself time and again. For the price of the BC stroker kit you can do the 7A to the nines.
One shot, one kill.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:22 am

yabaiani wrote:Just like the title says, has anyone ever built one and if so…what was the experience. Any pitfalls, any things to think about?

https://briancrower.com/makes/toyota/4age_stroker.shtml

I actually got that kit in a trade deal a while back (I can't remember which of the two kits I have), but its the crank, rods, and high comp 83mm pistons (came with a bare 7rib 4age block too). You can get whatever pistons you want, the dude I got the kit from ordered the 83mm ones. I would imagine the stroker kit itself would be pretty straight forward, with the exception of grinding part the crankcase to make room for the larger crank.

In my case, and this is a little off subject, the main concern I have is the oversized pistons. Boring the cylinders +2mm is pretty excessive considering how close together the cylinders are. Re-sleeving would be the safe way to go, but that's more money.

All comes down to budget, I guess.

7a = 81 x 85.5 = 1762.33cc
BC Stroker kit = 81 x 83 = 1710cc
BC Stroker + Oversized pistons = 83 x 83 = 1796.33cc

I'm currently rebuilding a separate 4age, so the parts are just sitting on my shelf at the moment. One of these days I'll get around to building it.
I actually started a thread when I was driving to pick it up :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=23910
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am

one thing to consider when building a stroker... is "journal overlap". Essentially, a 7AG with the larger rod journals (45 versus 42) is stronger.....

example - http://www.wallaceracing.com/crank-journal-overlap.jpg
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 am

I built a 5.5 AG using a HKS stroker crank would that help ?
Davegt27 Code One Racing

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:44 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:one thing to consider when building a stroker... is "journal overlap". Essentially, a 7AG with the larger rod journals (45 versus 42) is stronger.....

example - http://www.wallaceracing.com/crank-journal-overlap.jpg

hey there, can you explain this a bit more to me?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:22 pm

Don't go down that rabbit hole... the Brian Crower crank is a modern 4340 steel billet item made
for racing, not some old school OEM crank made for a daily driver :) Journal overlap will not be
an issue. Read the specs taken from the BC site...

BC crankshafts are made from the finest, aerospace grade 4340 steel billet material.
CNC machined on state of the art, 5 axis Mazak Integrex 300-IV CNC machines to exacting
tolerances (.0001"). Every crankshaft features large radius journals that add rigidity for high
horsepower, high boost, high rpm applications.

Gun drilled, CNC ground oil holes feature a smooth surface for extra oiling, tear dropped for
added oil scoop, cross drilled for priority main feeding to the rods and micro polished to a
mirror finish for optimum bearing lubricity.

All cranks are stress relieved, shot peened, magna flux inspected and nitrided (multi step
heat treatment) for ultimate performance. Fully profiled counterweights are designed for
reduced windage through the crankcase creating less oil resistance for better rpm potential.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:45 am

So, the answer that needs to be asked, after jondee's comment, is, "what do you plan to do with this engine?"
For street and anything less than full on racing I'd still go with the 7AGE. I've done a lot with the 7A and found the minimum for a good build is rods, forged pistons and a good girdle if you plan to spin past 8500rpm. I tried ladder caps and found them to be inadequate for the higher RPM. The girdle adds strength to the main caps AND the block. I've seen 7AGEs put out some good power reliably. Doing a "budget" build 7AGE is really good for street use with occasional blasts to the fuel cut. Cost, other than getting the 7A block, for the build isn't much more than building a 4AGE.

Really depends on what YOU want. If you want to spend a lot of money look at MRP's 7A stroker kit, 90mm stroke x 83mm bore make 1947cc! Only 4800 New Zealand bucks. That's where you get the good girdle as well for another $500.

I tend to go on.

What are your plans? Really.
One shot, one kill.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:35 am

I'm not in the business of criticizing anyone's engine build. It's a free world (well some parts
are still kind of semi-free) and when I built my 16V I just did what suited my ideas and budget.
OP has put a lot of time and cash into this build and it is a solid engine, but I'm guessing that
since he is asking about building a stroker, he wants more :)

Looking at the build specs previously listed for the engine I suspect that it really needs more
compression and more cam. So perhaps a decent bump in performance could be achieved by
fitting some 10.5 or 11:1 high comp pistons and Kelford 193-B cams ?? Watch the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1Vleb3gvY

Should make a decent DD with a big fun factor :) BTW, I noticed in the vid that the tuners made
about tuning the OP's car, that it only smoked one tyre when launched ??

Cheers... jondee86

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:23 am

A lot of people think the displacement gained by stroking the 4AGE is where the "power" comes from. In reality the power doesn't really increase with the stroke as much as people think, it's the torque. Look at the torque/power of a stock 4AGE, 98/115 (U.S.) And the 7AFE 115/115 (U.S.) Without any other mods beyond what's necessary to get to a 7AGE results in torque hitting 115-120 ft lbs and same in hp. Torque comes on earlier and has a better curve and hp drops off earlier. In my opinion a stroked 4AGE makes for a better DD hands down. If done right the revvy nature of the 4AGE can be maintained and the top end can be recovered. I am all for increasing the stroke! doesn't matter how it's done really, I just like the 7A method.

6mm or 8.5mm stroke increase. An extra $4000 or $2000. If it's for street the 7AGE is a better choice. If it's for racing it can go either way as the engine gets rebuilt often enough.
One shot, one kill.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:08 pm

Yeah... no argument that torque is nice :) But having spent a few years driving a stock
AE86 in a lot of different situations, I only ever found the lack of torque to be noticeable
for overtaking in 4th and 5th gears. And to be fair, expecting a N.A. 1.6 liter Corolla to
be a torque monster is asking a bit much !!

What I liked about the AE86 was that it just loved to be revved. Find a twisty bit of road
and use the gears to keep the engine on the boil... that never lost lost its attraction !!
And once you add a bit more compression and a decent amount of cam, you get that magic
feeling as the engine "gets on the cam". Not to mention the loping idle that gets the girls
wet :D That's what the 4AGE is all about.

And that's why I was never interested in changing the displacement of my engine. When
I went looking for more torque the logical choice was forced induction. That does not
need stroking or over-boring... the 4AGE remains a 1600 as it was meant to be. Mind you,
I don't drag race, do burnouts or tow a trailer. If I wanted to do that I would start of with
a car that left the factory with 5 liter V8 installed.

Cheers... jondee86

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:35 am

Garage 4age Starlet Drifting - 4age at 9000rpm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWldbK9M8Rk

This is why you build a 9000rpm N.A. 4AGE :D It's not for fetching groceries or picking
the kids up from school. It's for going out and having a little motorsport action with your
mates in a safe and regulated environment.

Cheers... jondee86

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:26 am

Key phrase, "Safe and regulated environment". I'm all for that! Problem is, most don't bother with a safe and regulated environment. That's the sad part that unfortunately kills it for the rest. Big reason the question of "what are your plans with this engine" is important.

I do like the Garage 4age videos.
One shot, one kill.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:07 pm

build the car around however you prioritize driving habbits.
Winding out a motor, on the regular, just to keep pace with a minivan in daily traffic.... is really depressing
Especially in a loud obnoxious weak vessel
Torque makes all the difference in the world... hence displacement and boosted variants
A boosted A-series can pin you in the seat, lighting tires thru 1-2-3... while doing it quiety, being civil with superb driveability
Can have a std 4AG or any flavour in between. Expensive under-performer, or 'bang for the buck' over-achiever'. Choose wisely
Doesn't matter what a '4AGE' was intended to be, or an AE86 for that matter

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:05 pm

jinx wrote:build the car around however you prioritize driving habbits.
Winding out a motor, on the regular, just to keep pace with a minivan in daily traffic.... is really depressing
Especially in a loud obnoxious weak vessel
Torque makes all the difference in the world... hence displacement and boosted variants
A boosted A-series can pin you in the seat, lighting tires thru 1-2-3... while doing it quiety, being civil with superb driveability
Can have a std 4AG or any flavour in between. Expensive under-performer, or 'bang for the buck' over-achiever'. Choose wisely
Doesn't matter what a '4AGE' was intended to be, or an AE86 for that matter

Exactly! Hence the question of "what are your plans for this engine?"
One shot, one kill.

Davegt27
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Davegt27 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:22 pm

my 5.5AGZE engine was 83mm (3.267)bore 82.931mm (3.265) for 1.794 liters
https://www.inchcalculator.com/engine-d ... alculator/

the end result was/is underwhelming but I never did finish the build (the crane cams had a flaw so they got sent back and stock cams where installed)

the head was $480 (back in 2009/2010) it had bigger valves installed (I told the machine shop to turn the valves down so I did not have to replace the seats)

Crank HKS was under $500 but it had to be sent out to be repaired

rods carrillo off ebay many years ago, $275, small journal 18mm pin 40mm big end (this all plays into the ring package)

custom pistons from wiseco $500 not coated (basically you give the parts to the machine shop and then he calls you and gives you the specs then you fill out the custom piston order sheet and send it to wiseco) they screwed up my order so they had to do it a 2nd time
the ring package with 18mm pin was so tight the rings came with an extra ring that blocks off the oil groove from the wrist pin

the block was was an AE101 GZE oil squirter block $500 (ordered one of those used motors but it turned out the motor was bad (found the thrust bearings in the oil pan) and it would have cost $275 to send it back for warranty, some of the oil squirters had to be replaced)

the block was shaved 0.003 since I wanted zero deck, the head was shaved 0.005 so I am running a higher C/R then planned,
of course the crank fillets are done and set screws installed in the crank

ARP head,main and flywheel stuff installed

Jun light weight GZ101 flywheel (this was another one of those "hey dave there is a Jun flywheel on yahoo Japan for cheap do you want it" so it cost like $300

it turned out the GZ101 flywheel was a 230mm so it took awhile to get the the TRD pressure plate and driven disk (I forget the cost but they also came from Yahoo Japan)

RX7 450 injectors, Sard ADJ FP regulator, T3 ADJ Cam gears, SAFC II, wide ban AF ratio meter

I never installed the TODA cams or the HKS Header

that is about it
yeah it sounds like a lot but if you go stroker or 7A I am sure you won't regret it
its a lot of fun getting stuff done

oh a few last things 1) for every mod you do it takes like two mods to make it work 2) the power is in the head

I had the chance to get the head CNC ported but I got Lazy ($600)

Davegt27
Last edited by Davegt27 on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Davegt27 Code One Racing

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:44 pm

In the case of a GZE, the power is in the pulleys. Heh
One shot, one kill.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:54 am

GZE are way underrated imo. Here is a pretty much stock MAP GZE AE86 go 13.9 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiLBW81TVA 2.5 exhaust, small fmic, ABV mod/10psi
Simply incredible for a 'torquey' puny lil 1.6 street car! I've seen no equal to be honest
seen 2 others go 13.7 with a bit more upgrades. With additional 'suttle' mods, who knows how quick these things could go

I'm with ya on the 7A route, be it n.a., ZE or turbo.... it seems like a natural. A 'gift' from toyota. Proven performers
You can literally find tons of threads... enough info to keep you reading for weeks. Why ? It make the most $en$e
7A rip with stock head, any config. Critical to sync cam/crank timing. A good tune gets the most out of it
I'd even stick with 7A stock rods if 7500rpm redline and under 300hp

Don't see a need to spend a lot of money on a stroker, to cover most goals I'd imagine

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:44 pm

jinx wrote:GZE are way underrated imo. Here is a pretty much stock MAP GZE AE86 go 13.9 sec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hiLBW81TVA 2.5 exhaust, small fmic, ABV mod/10psi
Simply incredible for a 'torquey' puny lil 1.6 street car! I've seen no equal to be honest
seen 2 others go 13.7 with a bit more upgrades. With additional 'suttle' mods, who knows how quick these things could go

I'm with ya on the 7A route, be it n.a., ZE or turbo.... it seems like a natural. A 'gift' from toyota. Proven performers
You can literally find tons of threads... enough info to keep you reading for weeks. Why ? It make the most $en$e
7A rip with stock head, any config. Critical to sync cam/crank timing. A good tune gets the most out of it
I'd even stick with 7A stock rods if 7500rpm redline and under 300hp

Don't see a need to spend a lot of money on a stroker, to cover most goals I'd imagine

Check out "BigMike" s supercharger build. Guy did some trick things with an SC14 adapted to the 4AGE. I think he was getting in excess of 225 hp. Did a few things with pulley changes and machining the SC pulley to a smaller diameter. He also did a 6 speed swap.
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:48 pm

If you were to go with the stock 7A rods get them bushed and run 18mm or 19mm wrist/gudgeon pins for a full float.
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sun May 01, 2022 9:48 am

Oh yeah, pitfalls of a 4AGE stroker kit, whoever makes it, is the rod to stroke ratio. Unless the kit manufacturer includes a longer rod the ratio gets a bit small. The stock R/S ratio is 1.584 to 1, increasing the stroke to 83mm reduces that to 1.469 to 1. Lots to be said on that subject, read up.

Just for reference, since I'm such a 7AGE advocate, the R/S ratio is 1.549 to 1.

Getting a longer rod into a stroked 4AGE is a tad harder than with a 7AGE, uh, unless you were to stroke that. To get that 83mm stroke 4AGE up to the stock ratio your rod would have to be 9mm longer. To get the 7A to a 4AGE ratio would require a 3mm longer rod.
One shot, one kill.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sun May 01, 2022 12:33 pm

Amazing attention to detail in BigMikes GZE build thread, along with a wealth of hella useful tips!
Think he mentioned 250+, and even more spinning 17+psi, still 1.6L "budget" build if you really look at it
Proves there is loads of potential in a torquey street 7AGZE, still getting good mieage

Its possible to dump several thousand into a build, that will be lucky to run under a 15sec quarter. Buyer beware
Good info out there to get you where you want to go..... once you've pin down what that is

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sun May 01, 2022 7:08 pm

For the 7AGE stroker kit https://shop.battlegarage-rs.com/collec ... r-kit-1-9l , check it out! Rods are 6% longer than stock 7A rods and get a 1.52 R/S ratio. Claimed 250hp at 10,000rpm capability.
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sun May 01, 2022 7:12 pm

jinx wrote:Amazing attention to detail in BigMikes GZE build thread, along with a wealth of hella useful tips!
Think he mentioned 250+, and even more spinning 17+psi, still 1.6L "budget" build if you really look at it
Proves there is loads of potential in a torquey street 7AGZE, still getting good mieage

Its possible to dump several thousand into a build, that will be lucky to run under a 15sec quarter. Buyer beware
Good info out there to get you where you want to go..... once you've pin down what that is

Mikey is what you'd call a "grassroots" motorsports guy. He's done a LOT of R&D on that little 2 of his. I believe he was 13 when he got that car. Lots of time with it. I haven't run against him, but I think his car would give my Mazdaspeed3 a run.
One shot, one kill.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue May 03, 2022 11:24 am

yeah, BigMike spots a problem, thinks thru a solution, does a good job explaining the approach. Can learn alot
Tons of folks badmouth GZE and particularly its 'dated inferior' blower. Nevermind the outstanding performance markers

"Big Gulp" pushed his supercharged 1.8 miata even further. (whats up with these "Big" guys ?)
https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15602
spun a MP62 (equivalent to an SC12 iirc) up to 21psi! Converted to 'gilmer'?(timing belt style drive, so no slip)
claimed 340 'torquey' hp, with instant throttle response. Wild ride. Ideas for a 7A?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu May 05, 2022 7:24 am

If he wanted boost he could have boost, but he didn't ask???????? OP do you want to run with boost???

Desire....... Budget......

With the OP looking to purchase a stroker kit - his budget is likely adequate. What is his desire..........???????????
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:If he wanted boost he could have boost, but he didn't ask???????? OP do you want to run with boost???

Desire....... Budget......

With the OP looking to purchase a stroker kit - his budget is likely adequate. What is his desire..........???????????

Ok Mister Morningstar.
One shot, one kill.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 06, 2022 5:13 pm

It is kind of interesting, and not related to the OP's question, but since this thread is already
f**ked I'm going to add my own comments :)

Why is it that every time a topic about a high power 4AGE build comes up it always degenerates
into a debate about 7AGE builds versus the world ?? Why does everyone think that a mongrel
crossbred engine is so much better than a pure bred 1600cc 4AGE with traditional hot rodding
parts added ?

If the only statistic of interest is how quick it gets down the quarter, it seems that the whole
point of owning an AE86 has been forgotten. And indeed, thanks to Takumi and folk that think
turning cash into tyre smoke is motorsport, it seems that no-one remembers the Corolla roots.

Keiichi Tsuchiya smoked a lot of faster and more powerful cars with his original AE86 using
superior driving skills to get the best out of his "gutless" 1600 Corolla. He honed his skills on
mountain roads and short tracks where outright power was not the deciding factor. I don't
know if he ever went to the strip, but for sure he knew what the AE86 was all about.

For drag racing do this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha44MaPm-XU

As usual, you pays your money and you makes your choice :)

Cheers... jondee86

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Sat May 07, 2022 2:34 pm

jondee86 wrote:It is kind of interesting, and not related to the OP's question, but since this thread is already
f**ked I'm going to add my own comments :)

Why is it that every time a topic about a high power 4AGE build comes up it always degenerates
into a debate about 7AGE builds versus the world ?? Why does everyone think that a mongrel
crossbred engine is so much better than a pure bred 1600cc 4AGE with traditional hot rodding
parts added ?

If the only statistic of interest is how quick it gets down the quarter, it seems that the whole
point of owning an AE86 has been forgotten. And indeed, thanks to Takumi and folk that think
turning cash into tyre smoke is motorsport, it seems that no-one remembers the Corolla roots.

Keiichi Tsuchiya smoked a lot of faster and more powerful cars with his original AE86 using
superior driving skills to get the best out of his "gutless" 1600 Corolla. He honed his skills on
mountain roads and short tracks where outright power was not the deciding factor. I don't
know if he ever went to the strip, but for sure he knew what the AE86 was all about.

For drag racing do this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha44MaPm-XU

As usual, you pays your money and you makes your choice :)

Cheers... jondee86

Well said…my biggest concern is how to make the engine “safer” given the bore is 83mm so have heard that thinning the block can make it more prone to cracking. Any tips on making it better?

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat May 07, 2022 4:41 pm

My replies on the 7AGE "mongrel" are mostly to gain a better torque curve. Has nothing to do with ultimate power or torque. And if you are using the DK as an example, He loves his 7AGE "mongrel". The 7A bottom gives a better drivability for around town while maintaining the midrange of the 4AGE. If built properly it can keep the 4AGE top end as well.

You attack the 7AGE enthusiasts in a thread about stoking a 4AGE anyway, makes no sense. If you want to complain about how people don't get it about the AE86 or the 4AGE then you need to bitch about stroking the 4AGE as well. This thread is centered around STROKING an 'A' engine. You would't say anything about a turbo I'm sure.

If you are going to use Tsuchiya as an example of why not to go 7AGE, He loves his "mongrel" 7AGE. Get it right.
One shot, one kill.