AE85 Coupe Rust Repair

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

AE85 Coupe Rust Repair

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:03 pm

Hey guys,

So I'm looking to see the best way to repair the rear rust holes and cancer to make this daily driveable. The entire interior has been stripped down. The biggest problems I have are:

1.)Driver's rear shock tower.
2.)Driver's rear seat backing metal.
3.)Driver's car jack and accessories storage area.
4.)Driver's rear quarter panel.

As far as where the seat is and where the shock tower and quarter panel are concerned, I know I'm more than likely gonna need to remove the quarter panel to get to everything.

I'm trying to brainstorm if I can just do this myself to save on labor and time. My rough plan is to prep as much as I can and once I see exactly what I need, I wanted to have my chassis sheet metal plug send me repair patches, then have a mobile welder weld them up.

This is largely due to the fact that I think I'm gonna have to remove the diff and gas tank rendering it undriveable (as It's driveable now).

Do you guys think this is possible or does it need to go to a shop regardless?

Thanks In advance.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: AE85 Coupe Rust Repair

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:01 pm

Yes, I think you can do it. I have been doing about the same as you are thinking about doing on my 87 FX-16. I have an idea of a one piece rocker panel for mine.
I have been working for about 1 year now and have replaced both front floor panels and the drivers side rear floor panel. Now working on the left rear shock tower and flooring around the shock tower. Still have a lot to go yet but I think the car is worth it.
Just get you a good mig welder with gas air and practice a lot, unless you are a welder already. Also get the right tools for body work and some heat sink blocks.
I have found that butt welding is the best method and just use the stitch weld method. Have fun and don't give up. buffalohunter7321

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:31 am

Thanks Buffalo!! I appreciate the motivation and support.

I'm not sure if I'll do the welding. Don't really have room for anything extra in the single car garage (live in a condo).

Have you tried these guys:
https://www.alfaparts.net/

They have everything you need for the AE86 Chassis. Might have something for the Fx/Ae82.

Jayrdee
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jayrdee » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Geez! If it were me, I would strip the car down and do as much prep work as possible, and then take it somewhere. Hopefully the prep work could save you a little on labor costs? I'm not sure how much body work/welding experience you have but that looks like a VERY big job.
[I have no idea what I'm doing]

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:52 pm

Do you have a back yard? I don't even have a garage to work in. I just have a back yard and a bunch of Jack stands that the car is setting on.
I will try those people and see if they have any thing I can use but I have a set of new front fenders and new rear wheel arches for both sides
The only thing I could not get was the top of the rear wheel wells. I have to weld in new .023 or .o24 thickness sheet metal, that is where the heat sink metal comes in to play. This metal is really thin and must be welded real fast or it would melt away.
Well witch ever way you go, I'll ask the Lord to be with you. buffalohunter7321

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:39 pm

The place where I got all my parts from is (Raybuck Auto Body Parts). buffalohunter7321

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:50 pm

So if I removed the rear quarter panels (both of them) could I jack the car up and it would structurally be ok? or is it unsafe because the structural rigidity is so poor?

buffalohunter7321
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby buffalohunter7321 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:30 pm

If you are asking me, I would jack the car up by the rear wheels and the center jacking point between the spare tire cavity and the fuel tank. This gives you three place's of support and the car would be level and not likely to slip off the jack stands.
If you need room to preform work just remove the rear tires. buffalohunter7321

Jinsoku

Postby Jinsoku » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:39 am

its gonna take some work but you got this!

some POR15, wire brushes, grinder and maybe a dremel.
As stated, you gotta take care of as many labor hours yourself before taking it to a shop.
make sure to sand/grind about an inch past each area, the rust is under the paint/coating too.

post up the progress and tackle each task separately, don't spread yourself too thin to avoid stress.
I like to read the build logs on here and youtube for motivation to get me into the garage!!!

I recognize your SN, i think we met before. I lived in Alabama 2009-2012 and used to chill at the 850 meets in Panama City Beach, Crestview. maybe, maybe not lol
Since 2001

SR85DET
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SR85DET » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:10 pm

How is this coming along? I need some
motivation for mine!!