FC caliper conversion

Postby davieTGB86 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:39 pm

Does anyone here have any experience on the fc caliper conversion
On the 86??

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: FC caliper conversion

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:53 am

I have FC calipers, 282mm discs and still using the OEM master cylinder.
I'm using Project Mu HC pads all round and the braking power is immense.
In hind sight given the money I spent I could have bought the T3 kit and had brand new calipers.

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am

I been reading up that you have to change the booster/cylinder too
running stock cylinder doesn't effect the braking??

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:41 pm

Is that dude in California still producing the Adapter bracket?
The only ones I can find these days are the AJPS ones from Aussie and I don't think they allow you to run the mini cooper S rotors (?)
irony.cc

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Question since were on the topic. What about the rear? Wouldn't something need to go there to help proportion out the stopping power?

And when should one consider a brake upgrade? I'm stock, and pretty soon I'll be going SS lines and hps pads, I'm guessing that's enough

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 pm

I think guys who want 'balance' run S13 240sx rear calipers and rotors.

I think stock rebuild calipers with S/S lines are probably good enough.
The FC/FD Calipers just look cooler. I'm all about the looks, man. haha.
irony.cc

Army Fork
Club4AG Expert

Postby Army Fork » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:46 pm

In the case of the T3/Wilwood calipers, I believe you do not need to swap out the master cylinder, the kit just bolts in. Am I correct in that assumption?
1984 SR5-GTS 20V ST/BT coupe.
- Stance GR+ Coilovers
- Mishimoto Cooling
- T3 adjustable 4-bar, Panhard, traction brackets, tension rods
- T3 Short shift
- Manual rack conversion
- Blacktop electronics

NOKsk8er
Club4AG Regular

Postby NOKsk8er » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 am

i dont think you necessarily need to swap out a master cylinder, however a proportional valve, i think yes. master cylinder holds your brake fluid and proportional valve dictates how much pressure to send in the front and rear brakes. correct me if im wrong... i did a swap like this in my honda days. swapped brakes from an DC acura integra to 90 civic si. the other thing that i swapped was the proportional valve.
Rear wheel drive cars might be different story. but i heard you can swap a MA45 rear disks and calipers into an ae86. should bolt right on but i never actually tried it.
RIP

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:42 am

I have this swap on my car....steel braided lines all around, project mu pads all around also...no need to change the booster or proportioning valve ...car stops on a dime with stock parts. I also use motul brake fluid...if your really anal about the brakes u can buy an adjustable valve and tune the pressure yourself but its not needed
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 am

gaijin_rokurunner wrote:I have this swap on my car....steel braided lines all around, project mu pads all around also...no need to change the booster or proportioning valve ...car stops on a dime with stock parts. I also use motul brake fluid...if your really anal about the brakes u can buy an adjustable valve and tune the pressure yourself but its not needed

yea cause all the guys on the toymods,org or 86drivingclub all say you have to switch out the cylinder with a bigger one
like 1" clyinders off skylines and other Nissan cars...
that why I was wondering if anyone here had done this swap...

thanks gaijin for the post
do you know who makes the conversion plate still for the caliper??

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:36 am

well I havent changed mines and its a 100% improvement over stock setup....i did however install a new master cylinder because my old one was leaking...as far as who sells them im not sure there was a group buy about a year ago on the old club4ag. One of the members made them and sold the kits....post a inquiry in the WTB section asking who made the kits and if they would make another run of them
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:34 am

icic thanks a lot gaijin

jay_trueno
Club4AG Regular

Postby jay_trueno » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:33 pm

Check out this thread: http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/sharing- ... hlight=rx7

I remember a guy also made a similar post to this in the old club4ag, perhaps he is the same member. Anyway, if you can get a hold of a machinist to cut these out for you in cnc, you can have your brackets and from the sound of it, they are made to be compatible with mini cooper rotors which seem to be so popular. I haven't gotten around to this brake upgrade myself so i cannot verify that they work but as with everything else that involves these old cars, do your research. At least this gives you a lead to follow.

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:24 pm

jay_trueno wrote:Check out this thread: http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/sharing- ... hlight=rx7

I remember a guy also made a similar post to this in the old club4ag, perhaps he is the same member. Anyway, if you can get a hold of a machinist to cut these out for you in cnc, you can have your brackets and from the sound of it, they are made to be compatible with mini cooper rotors which seem to be so popular. I haven't gotten around to this brake upgrade myself so i cannot verify that they work but as with everything else that involves these old cars, do your research. At least this gives you a lead to follow.

I did my research jay. and aeu86 or drivingclub are all over seas forums.
so I know you can use mini cooper to civic to bigger rotors from DBA and so on...
I was looking to see if anyone did it here because I just had few questions about changing the master cylinder.
if that was a "must".

as you can read from the conversation, gaijin has done it and its works just fine from his post.
getting the conversion plate isn't my problem.
it was the changing the cylinder more.
and that link I have already looked at. all of the forums mention changing the cylinder or portion valve but they don't really specify if its a "must"
I just wanted to clarify that is all.

jay_trueno
Club4AG Regular

Postby jay_trueno » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm

davieTGB86 wrote:I did my research jay. and aeu86 or drivingclub are all over seas forums.
so I know you can use mini cooper to civic to bigger rotors from DBA and so on...
I was looking to see if anyone did it here because I just had few questions about changing the master cylinder.
if that was a "must".

as you can read from the conversation, gaijin has done it and its works just fine from his post.
getting the conversion plate isn't my problem.
it was the changing the cylinder more.
and that link I have already looked at. all of the forums mention changing the cylinder or portion valve but they don't really specify if its a "must"
I just wanted to clarify that is all.

Sweet! Seems like you have all your ingredients. I'm sure people would like to see pictures when you install them.

lootbag
Club4AG Regular

Postby lootbag » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:03 am

I did the conversion as well.
DBA4000 Cooper S rotors, HP Plus pads and Super Blue fluid.
Didn't need a larger master cylinder.
I would like to fiddle with an adjustable proportioning valve, it is easy to lock up the front under hard braking.

I bought the adapter plates from the guy here on club4ag before the crash.
There is a guy in Canada that makes the adapter for Cooper 2 rotors.
Here is the link: http://www.dorikaze.net/showthread.php?24050-SwitchBack-Parts-!

davieTGB86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby davieTGB86 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:44 pm

awesome thanks for the link lootbag!!