First Start Up Post Engine Rebuild

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

First Start Up Post Engine Rebuild

Postby yabaiani » Fri May 08, 2020 11:55 am

So as many of you have seen my multiple threads on my engine rebuild and ITB setup. I have almost completed step 1 which is finishing the rebuild and getting it cranked up for the first time.

Started up "fine" but was having trouble staying on since I did a port job, high compression pistons, bigger valves, slightly bigger cams, etc. It could be that there is so much more air flow that it needs more fuel? Not really sure. Could it be cam timing too?

The sound of the video may sound louder because the exhaust is not hooked up, but let me know your thoughts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJ-UT3QwOsg

jondee86

Re: First Start Up Post Engine Rebuild

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 08, 2020 3:01 pm

If you are running on the factory Toyota ECU then it won't want to idle as your modifications
have changed some of the basic engine operating conditions. You will need to set the idle speed
higher to keep it idling and that is a good thing as you want to keep the engine speed up around
2000 rpm and varying by gentle use of the throttle for ten minutes to bed in the cams.

Do that when you are warming the engine up before you start your running in procedure.

The modifications you have made don't have much effect higher in the rev range so the engine
should run fine out on the road.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Fri May 08, 2020 5:13 pm

jondee86 wrote:If you are running on the factory Toyota ECU then it won't want to idle as your modifications
have changed some of the basic engine operating conditions. You will need to set the idle speed
higher to keep it idling and that is a good thing as you want to keep the engine speed up around
2000 rpm and varying by gentle use of the throttle for ten minutes to bed in the cams.

Do that when you are warming the engine up before you start your running in procedure.

The modifications you have made don't have much effect higher in the rev range so the engine
should run fine out on the road.

Cheers... jondee86

Jondee, you’re right. It’s factory ECU. Just another question for you, where do you adjust the motor the idle control (just wondering since I have a MAP sensor). I didnt see a throttle screw to adjust it.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Try the Idle Air adjustment screw first. It is down a tube cast into the side of the throttlebody
and sometimes it has a rubber bung in the top. Use a Phillips/Posidrive type screwdriver and
turn the screw out (anti-clockwise) to raise the idle.

If that doesn't work you will need to use the throttle stop screw that the throttle arm comes
to rest on when the throttle closes. Loosen the locknut and wind the screw in until you get
the speed you require. This will mess with the TPS setting but that won't be an issue as you
won't be idling in the zone where the ECU likes to control the idle.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Mon May 11, 2020 8:13 pm

Nick94tt
Club4AG Expert

Postby Nick94tt » Tue May 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Fancy.

Half surprised you didn't strip all the ancillary stuff down to bead blast and powder coat it.

Happy to plant that little seed in the back of your mind. :mrgreen:

Glad you found the replacement sheet metal.