Headlight Issue

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Headlight Issue

Postby yabaiani » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:27 pm

I was wondering if anyone knows why when I turn on the headlight switch knob to the right to flip the headlights, they won’t work and lights won’t turn on, but when I try to do the overheads, they turn on no problem (pop up and pop down).

Any insight on how to fix this would be great. Thank you all!

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Headlight Issue

Postby AE86Kai » Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:58 am

It is very difficult to pin point the issue from your description that could be both mechanically or electronically.
Mechanically means it could be simple as worn out outer switch knob (plastic) without the metal insert...etc.
Electronically could be faulty switch, shorted ...etc.

My suggestion for the start will be try with other switch and see if symptoms remains the same or not.....good luck. ;)

PS This issue started recently or it's been acting since you are owning your car?

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:17 am

I just got the car yesterday so I noticed it. I heard about a RTR relay in the fuse box, the switch itself, and a 10A fuse in the kicker panel that could be the issue. Or it could be the relay under the dash as well.

So not sure....

yabaiani
Club4AG Expert

Postby yabaiani » Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:04 am

Also, please excuse my ignorance, but was is the difference between the dimmer switch and the headlight switch? Where is the dimmer switch located? Is it this thing?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2948952343

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86Kai » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 am

As far as I remember (my last AE86 was like over 7yrs ago....sorry), dimmer switch is built in the headlight switch / outer ring portion.
...or am I misunderstanding the meaning of "dimmer" ? Please advise.

I am not sure how many AE86 you went through but, I highly suggest you to acquire FSM that you won't regret. :!: