Strut casing spindle rust

40vpurpletop
Club4AG Regular

Strut casing spindle rust

Postby 40vpurpletop » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:49 am

Hi I got me a pair of strut casing but there is rust on the spindles and they are quite dull. What would be the best way to remove the rust and shine them up a bit? Or does anyone know a shop that can do the above in socal?

Thanks and God bless!!!

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Strut casing spindle rust

Postby SgtRauksauff » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:30 pm

I think it really depends on how badly rusted... if it's just some light speckling, things are probably fine, probably could get away with cleaning with a wire brush and some emery cloth. but if it's solidly rusted over the whole thing, you might not be able to use them, considering they are what the bearings actually ride on.

pictures would help determine if they're salvageable.

40vpurpletop
Club4AG Regular

Postby 40vpurpletop » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Well I soaked it in vinegar and got it all off. Just some hard to remove black bits that I'm not sure what it is. Now how do I go about buffing them up a bit. They are still kinda dull. Is there a specification for the spindle? Like they can't get below a specific diameter before they are unusable? I couldn't find anything. I'll try to take some photis of how they look now.

Thanks and namaste.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:24 pm

There is a whole section of parameters the spindles have to fall within in the BGB (service manual). It even involves having fancy dealer tools that test how strong the magnetic attraction is lol.

If you really want all that, I'm sure someone could post it out of the service manual. Otherwise I think you should be fine unless there are large chunks missing out of it or the threads are burred...

Best of luck :)
Success guardian... Successsssssss..