Necessary Relays

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Necessary Relays

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:11 pm

I've got a question about the relays on the car. Mine won't run and I'm trying to figure out why. I tried jumping the clutch safety switch at first and nothing happened when I turned the key. So I removed the starter relay and jumped the pins needed to turn the starter. The COR is clicking just fine. For some odd reason though the car will start and then die. It won't really run at all. I'm baffled and can't figure out why. I'm running aftermarket pulleys from T3 for the crank and Tomei for the cams. The timing as far as I know is set properly. The igniter is giving off enough juice to spark the plugs and the dizzy is set properly also. Does jumping the starter relay leave out other circuits that need to be closed in order for the car to run?

On a side note, I've run a phpbb forum before and might be able to fix a few of the broken items...who would I need to message about fixing it all up?

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Re: Necessary Relays

Postby shagymc » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:39 am

Have you checked your ignition wire for 12v constant with the key in the ON position? If you have spark, have you checked for fuel? When you turn the ignition to the ON position before cranking, can you hear the fuel pump prime? I'd also look and see if your ISCV is working too!

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:57 am

I haven't yet. I'll add that on my list of things to check when I get home. Do you mean the wire at the bottom of the coil? I thought the fuel pump didn't prime on ae86 cars. At least that is what I was told. Forgot to add that I don't have the idle up hooked up. The little green plug near the afm. The one I got was super rusty so I figured I'd try and find a new one first. I'll add that back into the loop and see if it changes anything. And the AFM isn't hooked up properly yet either. I need to get a snorkel/tube for it to sit on so that could be the cause of it also.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Fuel pump does not prime, but you can force it to run and make sure fuel is getting to the rail.

You say the AFM is not hooked up? You do mean the black box with the flap inside to measure air flow correct? That must be plugged in or the car will do exactly as you are describing. Start then die right away. I accidentally left it unplugged once and the same thing happened.

If you don't have the idle air valve hooked up you will have to keep RPMs around 2k manually with the throttle until the car reaches operating temperature.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:31 pm

Yeah. I have it wired up with the connector but it isn't physically connected to the throttle body. I might just have to bite the bullet and put in the rusty idle up I have then. Would those be the only things keeping it from going off though? It just seems odd that all that needs to be in to get it to operate at all.

Edit: Rigged the AFM to be mated to the throttle body loosely. I'll find a more permanent fix tomorrow. Looks like it makes vacuum to help it run. But for some reason without the idle up the throttle won't go above 800 or so and that's with the pedal floored. Any ideas on what could cause that to happen?

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 am

if the AFM isn't connected properly, it's not going to be able to measure the amount of air going to the engine, so the ECU won't know to add more fuel to match the air that's coming in.

In conjunction, you might need to have the TPS dialed in pretty well also.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:28 am

Get your AFM installed correctly, otherwise its not helping us help you. Lastly, make sure your AFM is grounded as well. Otherwise you will have the problem you described. I believe it grounds with a square-ish clear-yellowish connector down by the cross member bolts on the driver side.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:50 pm

Jeonsah wrote:Get your AFM installed correctly, otherwise its not helping us help you. Lastly, make sure your AFM is grounded as well. Otherwise you will have the problem you described. I believe it grounds with a square-ish clear-yellowish connector down by the cross member bolts on the driver side.

I've got a silicone tube on the way to fix the vacuum issue at the afm. I'll check that connector when I get home. Is it the same on a kouki harness? I'll post an update once the tube shows up and is installed. Thanks everyone!

Edit: From the looks of it, this square connector is the ground? It doesn't have a plug to go into so I'll just crip some wire up and ground it to the chassis somewhere. The other two are for A/C stuff though right?

I'll update again after I get the AFM hooked up with the tube I ordered.

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby SgtRauksauff » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:27 am

YES that square plug MUST be grounded for the fuel pump to stay on while in the RUN position.

--sarge

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 pm

I got the AFM tube but it turns out the Intake end is too small and fits inside instead of outside it. But after plugging up the ground and shoving a wrench to open the flap up the car holds idle just fine! What are you guys running from your intakes to the AFM? I'd go with a standard hose if I could find one for the right price, but the silicone option just seems like a cheaper option since everyone wants so much for the OEM stuff.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 am

The Injen short ram intake is a popular choice I think. It is pricey though at about $190.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:20 pm

That's super expensive. I just need the short metal tube from the TB to the AFM. I think I've got it all sorted out though. Should be 2.5 to 3 inch with the bend.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:31 am

The time when these cars were cheap to work on is long gone. :lol:
But yea if you can fabricate one then do that.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:54 am

Yeah. I guess that's true. I think I'm just going to go with a 45 degree bend on the hose and just use a dry filter for reusability. It's going to be my daily so that should help reduce costs in the long run by a little bit.