Fuel Lines to -6 AN

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Fuel Lines to -6 AN

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:57 am

I ended up buying fuel lines from someone and didn't inspect them closely enough. It looks like he had twisted off the bit that connects it all to the fuel pump. So now I'm stuck trying to use fittings and get everything to gel using -6AN as the standard. Is there any simple way to do this? I used a ferrule compression fitting but I think it might have been too small and didn't seal properly. I might just have to cut it and size it up again to get a better size on it. I was just wondering if there were any other simple options like what I'm trying to do that will work. I might just have to flare it to 37 degrees. Just trying to avoid having to find/buy a 37 degree flaring tool.

Ratranger
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Fuel Lines to -6 AN

Postby Ratranger » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:00 pm

What size is the hard line? http://www.competitionproducts.com/mobi ... ucmSLNlBTc. I used these on my fuel system.
4age bigport in a 73 spitfire

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:12 pm

Make sure you're using the right size compression fitting too! I used them on the hard pipe near the motor and found out that the two hard pipes are different sizes AFTER buying the fittings. I believe the one was 5/16 and the smaller was 1/4, but that's off memory do your research. I found it when I went to put the fitting on the 1/4 pipe and it was loose. The 5/16 pipe I had to use a file to get rid of the protective coat on it and then put a ton of effort into getting the fitting on but I got a good seal with it. Don't short cut your fuel system!
Last edited by shagymc on Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:04 pm

I ended up reversing the metric to AN adapter. Just tightened it up and the leaks are nowhere to be found thankfully. There's still a bit of work to be done, but with that out of the way I just need to see why my starter isn't going off. I did the same with filing. Took a bit but it'll be worth it. If I decide to clean things up, I'll probably re-do all the fuel lines with AN stuff to make it flow better...and maybe larger fuel lines in general.