Electrical Connections

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Electrical Connections

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:41 am

I've got a few connectors that I'm wondering about. It's a Zenki Sr5 with Kouki GTS harnesses being put in all around for body, engine, and underdash. The peripherals don't seem to match up like blower motor connectors/power mirrors/defrost. I don't know if anything plugs into the open plugs or not, so any help on giving them an ID would be great. Thanks!

This is from my Zenki and I'm guessing it's for the door sensor? There's one on each side.

This long one's just kinda hanging out...it doesn't look like it'll have anything plugging into it.

This one's also just kinda hanging out. If I had to guess I'd say it's the clutch switch but I'm not sure. It matches what I've seen someone jump in a blog post off here. But it still looks a bit different in terms of length of the wires coming out of the taped up area.

Then this male end on the side of the driver side kick panel...and I don't know what that long one at the top is in the beige.

Same kinda thing on the passenger side.

The long one there and the two white ones off to the side. I think the long one goes into some relay but I'm not sure. There's a spot right above my buzzer so it seems logical.

Then this one one the driver side.

And finally this one on the passenger side.

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

lucky13evo
Club4AG Regular

Re: Electrical Connections

Postby lucky13evo » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 pm

Whole lot going on there and i am no expert in wiring. The last two pics are the speaker wires. The two whit ones on the passenger side are for a/c system. The rest i wm not wuite sure of.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:27 am

Haha yeah. Alright. I won't be needing the last two then. Got an amp setup so I'm using wire from that to drive my speakers. I'm hoping I didn't tuck away the clutch safety switch, but I'm taking out the metal support to figure it all out. Ended up putting the safety pad back in and didn't know about the later models having that. My harness is missing it because it pre-dates all that.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:48 am

First picture is the connector for electric mirrors. The door sensor is actually near the latch for the door itself.

Second picture with the big connector is for a cruise control computer if you had one.

Third picture is the clutch switch.

Some others by the passenger side are for HVAC stuff. I can double check.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:02 pm

Okay. That sounds about right. I jumped the clutch switch so that's out of the way now since my pedal assembly doesn't have one. That first connector should just plug into the daughterboard/fuse boxes on the sides, right? For some reason I can't plug it in anywhere. Nothing matches up to it. Could just be because it's all Zenki going into Kouki stuff though. Could you snap a picture of the area around the ignition coil and distributor with the connectors and what plugs into what? I'm trying to hook all that up now. I'm pretty sure all 4 connectors get plugged into something, but the green ones go to the dizzy and the coil and igniter have other ones...I can't imagine that it's just the distributor that gets electricity/signal.

Thanks Grant!

Update:
I think I've hooked up everything except for this little bit. There isn't a ground cable going from the cylinder head to the firewall so I'll add that one in later. For some reason no power seems to be going through. Everything is plugged in as far as I can tell minus this little harness bit. It came with my package of harnesses and what not but I have no clue as to what it does or where it goes.

If it's something that finishes the circuit then I can understand why my car won't start or the fuel pump won't go off. Any ideas on what I should check? I've checked and made sure that everything is plugged in like it's supposed to be on the fuse panels on the sides and the main fusebox under the hood. Nothing seems loose or blown as far as I can tell. Maybe I'm not wiring something up properly but I'm puzzled as to why no current is going through from the looks of it. The lights are all out as well as the solenoids to make them pop up/go down. All that should be peripheral stuff not needed to start the engine though as far as I know. I can use the spare fuses and relays from my Sr5 setup as long as they'll fit in...so spare main/etc.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:40 pm

That bit of wiring harness you have pictured there is for the HVAC. Do you want to put A/C back in your car? If not I will buy that from you. :P

As for the electric mirrors, the kouki and zenki connectors are different, but the wiring is the same, so you can splice in connectors and get it to work. I've seen a post somewhere that details the wiring between zenki and kouki mirrors.

Here are some pictures of the Ingitor/Distributor wiring.

I saw another connector in your picture and realized I also have this one unplugged.
Does anyone know what this does? I'm going to try and find it in the wiring diagrams.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:38 am

Grant wrote:That bit of wiring harness you have pictured there is for the HVAC. Do you want to put A/C back in your car? If not I will buy that from you. :P

As for the electric mirrors, the kouki and zenki connectors are different, but the wiring is the same, so you can splice in connectors and get it to work. I've seen a post somewhere that details the wiring between zenki and kouki mirrors.

Here are some pictures of the Ingitor/Distributor wiring.

I saw another connector in your picture and realized I also have this one unplugged.
Does anyone know what this does? I'm going to try and find it in the wiring diagrams.

Gotcha. I'm going to put A/C back in later on. Okay. Might have to dig a bit for that post but no one has been able to answer that question for me for a while. So that little fuse thing gets grounded on the Ignition Coil strap and everything else should be hooked up just fine. I think I just need to finish grounding everything and hopefully it'll work as it should. If not, back to the drawing board. Does anyone know what connector in the bay can jump the fuel pump relay and bypass it? I need to prime it before I run anything. The only other way I can think of is 12v straight to it from the trunk.

Update: It turns out that the grounds weren't hooked up properly. Now they're just fine but the starter solenoid isn't getting enough power to do anything. I checked it out when the key is turned and at 20v on my multimeter, it's pulling up 0.01v. Any ideas on what could be causing this? The rest of the car is getting power just fine, it's just this little bit that's not working. I think I'm going to try to clean up the contacts and see what happens. It could be that they're just dirty, but who knows.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:38 pm

I think there's only one more thing to figure out before the engine finally starts. I've got this going to my starter. Solenoid wire is right there also. When I measured the voltage going through the solenoid connector as they key is turned to start the car, I get 0.01v when set to the 20v option on my multimeter. As for the starter relay, it's clicking in two places when 12v is directly applied to it. 1-5, and 2-6 when lined up like 1 - - - - 4
5 - - 6 When I turn the key, nothing clicks...but from what I know only the starter solenoid should be the only clicking sound if it's getting ample power. I'll try moving this cable bit from ground to positive since that's where I think it goes. But if it doesn't, please correct me.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:01 pm

The thick wire indeed goes to the positive battery terminal. The starter grounds through the block if I remember correctly.

I can take a look where that solenoid wire goes too.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:12 pm

The solenoid wire just plugs in to a connector that I've got which is fine. Now I'm stuck trying to figure out if my relay is good or not. Or if the wiring going to it is shot. Is it supposed to click when the key is turned to start? I thought that clicking sound always came from the solenoid on the starter...and if the fuel pump is supposed to turn on when the key is in the on position, I don't hear it humming when I do that either.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:32 am

The fuel pump does not prime on the AE86.

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Okay. That takes care of that question then. But is the relay supposed to click when the key is turned or is that just the starter solenoid. I'm going to finish up grounding the block and wiring up that starter bit to positive. I'll see what happens but if it's still not doing anything then back to the drawing board for now. Which means it could be a bad Open Circuit relay after all or something isn't making good contact somewhere.

Update: I've got the starter wired up properly and to the right plugs. But I think it has something to do with the relay. Does anyone know of the diagram the Open Circuit one has? Without it it's becoming difficult to figure out what pins should be getting power and what not. All I know is the middle pin on the top row is getting a constant 12v. The others just seem dead and they shouldn't be.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:21 pm

P3nnyw1se
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby P3nnyw1se » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:27 pm

I think that diagram is on there. Should help me figure this whole thing out. Thanks again man

Could anyone take pictures of their yellow ECU connectors to show what pins are used? I'm looking at mine and there are a fair few missing like a pin leading to the battery to power it. The second from the right on the top on the 14 on connector. I'm hoping the harness isn't for a redtop or 20v engine.

[Resolved] I ended up removing the starter relay and jumping pins 2 and 4 to close the circuit. It's working but now the issue seems to be fuel starvation for some odd reason.

truenorican
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby truenorican » Wed May 11, 2016 10:52 am

I'm currently working on a SR5 to GTS conversion and found this plug but can't find a matching one on the headlight/underhood harness. It's on the engine harness - driver's side. Could anyone help me with its purpose? Works with the EFI Main Relay? Thanks!

I'm also missing the wire that goes from the battery to the starter which includes a small black plug that connects to the starter also. Anyone have one laying around?