W58 crossmember

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

W58 crossmember

Postby jdm86gtz » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Anybody try this on an AE86 with a 4AG and W5# gearbox?
I think I have the Malaysian bellhousing on my W58.

http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/ON ... =4&pid=313

How would this compare to an A/T crossmember as an available replacement?

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

Re: W58 crossmember

Postby EddieNanakase » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Not sure if you have one, but I would suggest for you to buy a welding machine. Buy a
good quality welding machine, I bought the exact same one as this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-DAY-SALE-10 ... 337c1d4fb7
I bought mine new for $400, and I'm still using it, I have used it for so many things ! I was able to
fabricate a bracket for my W58 trans in my AE86 and you can use that welding machine for so many other things.
Investing on a good quality welding machine will pay for itself in no time. If you go to a shop and request to
have them weld a piece for you, even if it's something small, they can easily charge you around $60 - 80 !
Get a really nice, quality welding helmet as well, I bought one for around $400, and it was definitely worth
every penny. I have patched my AE86 with the welding machine, I have fabricated so many pieces. By no means
am I saying that the above Powermig machine is high quality, but I would say that I've had it for years and it
still works perfectly. The wire from the feeder does get stuck once in a while, but it can easily be fixed.
The trigger would get stuck, so I just applied a little bit of multi purpose grease on the trigger's seal and it fixed
the problem. Do your research on welding machines before buying, you do get what you pay for. The bracket you
posted might even have to be modified to work, might want to paint it as well, it looks like it will rust.

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: W58 crossmember

Postby jdm86gtz » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:20 pm

I have access to a mig welder in work and at the shed just not the ability to use it :( It's about time I learned