LSD half shaft axle installation question

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:25 am

Hey guys, I've been working on 86 for about year now. It's been on jack stands the whole time and I would like to drive her again soon.

Basically had my LSD into my 3rd member installed by a mechanic. Got it back installed everything according to my match marks. Just having an issue with putting my axle half shafts in.

I do not want to mess anything up when I try to put my splines back into the diff. I know it's going to require some pressure. Does anyone have a video or some detailed instructions on how to get the splines to line up to help guide me through this process?

Thanks for the help.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Re: LSD half shaft axle installation question

Postby totta crolla » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:55 am

Assuming the shafts are the correct size for the differential, not late shafts into and early diff. then it will be the wheel bearing that needs a good push into the axle casing.
I find that I can get just enough of the shaft into the casing by hand to get it lined up on the splines and then a few gentle taps with a plastic mallet gets the job done. You can tell when the splines are aligned because you won't be able to turn the shaft.
Make sure that the bearing goes in nice and square and if you anticipate needing to remove the shaft in the future use some copper grease on the bearing outer shell.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:23 am

totta crolla wrote:Assuming the shafts are the correct size for the differential, not late shafts into and early diff. then it will be the wheel bearing that needs a good push into the axle casing.
I find that I can get just enough of the shaft into the casing by hand to get it lined up on the splines and then a few gentle taps with a plastic mallet gets the job done. You can tell when the splines are aligned because you won't be able to turn the shaft.
Make sure that the bearing goes in nice and square and if you anticipate needing to remove the shaft in the future use some copper grease on the bearing outer shell.

Thanks so much! That definitely helps out a bunch! I know my axles fit because I tried to put them in the diff before I had it installed.

I am going to give this a try after I get off work today, I'll give a shout in here with my success or failure on the matter! Thanks again my friend!

-Bryan

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:25 am

Rub a little bit of oil on the seals and cylinder that the bearing sits in. That should help things slide in more easily. If the cylinder is rusty, I'd take the opportunity to clean it ip with some rust remover, which should make life easier when you pull the axles next.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:11 am

gotzoom? wrote:Rub a little bit of oil on the seals and cylinder that the bearing sits in. That should help things slide in more easily. If the cylinder is rusty, I'd take the opportunity to clean it ip with some rust remover, which should make life easier when you pull the axles next.

That is a good call. The cylinders were actually not too bad. I wanted to let you all know I got everything on last night. I'll throw in a photo, got the solid rear brake kit for T3 it's looking pretty good. Car is coming together. I was too lazy to do a build thread but I took some photos of all my work.