GT-S/AE86 Easy and Cheap Engine Swap Options.

xXxREBELOxXx

GT-S/AE86 Easy and Cheap Engine Swap Options.

Postby xXxREBELOxXx » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Hey guys first post so I mess up in any way sorry! But anyways I planning on buying a rolling shell corolla and swaping in an enigine that's better than than the 16v 4age while not being much more if possible. I understand swaps are hard as well so any tips would and will be greatly appreciated. Btw I do know a fair bit of engines and such but not everything (I'm only 16) so you feel like saying anything (even if you think it's obvious) just do it thanks! :D

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: GT-S/AE86 Easy and Cheap Engine Swap Options.

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:48 am

What's wrong with the 16V 4AGE? The car is plenty fun with that engine in it. The only swap that I would consider "easy" is the smallport 4AGE. You'll need to either modify (cut & weld) the intake manifold or buy an adapter and get a largeport rwd intake manifold. Otherwise, it's direct bolt-up to a car that came with a largeport 16V engine. The 20V variants of the 4AGE require more parts to convert them to RWD configuration. Any other option either requires an expensive swap kit or pretty serious fabrication.

If I were you, I'd drive a car with a strong 4AGE engine before doing anything. These cars didn't become the icon that they are because the 4AGE engine sucks.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:55 am

Got a few questions first.
1. What are you using it for? Daily, AutoX, Drift?
2. Do you pay for your own insurance if you are gonna drive it on the street?
3. Do you have access to an engine hoist?
4. Do you have a job that pays well?
5. Do you have someone else who knows enough to help you and can be available often?
6. Do you have time for this?
7. Can you do wiring?

After you've answered those questions, I would say keep the 16v if you already have one. If not, get a 20v.
Can't get either engine or can't answer all of those questions "yes"? Don't bother. It's much more of a headache than you need.

Now, if you can answer all of those questions "yes", go ahead. There is a lot of information on C4AG, so it'll be helpful.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:36 pm

xXxREBELOxXx wrote: (I'm only 16):D

A stock 4AGE is more than adequate to kill yourself with..... most 16 year olds should learn the dynamics of driving, and the physics involved..... (pic to follow)

Get the chassis, suspension and brakes fully funtional, then and only then worry about more power.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:40 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:(pic to follow)

This was on a track... it is a well set up AE86, it has a mildly built engine(112hp @ the wheels)... if this had happened on the street, the car would be crushed, and I could very well be dead......

LEARN the dynamics of driving... you'll have plenty of time to build monster motors... as long as you don't kill yourself in the process..............

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:27 am

xXxREBELOxXx

I don't want to be a downer... and I apologize if I just threw a big bucket of water on a dream...... May I make a suggestion?? Is there carting near you? Carting is a great tool to learn driving dynamics on an affordable basis... it will also allow you to make mistakes that wont hurt you, or others... and will not cause property damage :o ;)

As to building or swapping engines.... a well built* version of ANY of the 4AG engines can make very good power

Well Built - the correct combination of parts and machine work to reach the desired goal you want for the engine.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:51 am

Another alternative is rallycross. It's cheap and you can drive anything that meets regulations. I think that that would be good to do.

It's what I'm going to do when I find a car that is cheap enough.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.