AE-86 Track/Race car Spoiler/GT Wing Size and shape

hachirokkos
Club4AG Regular

AE-86 Track/Race car Spoiler/GT Wing Size and shape

Postby hachirokkos » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:34 am

Hello every1,
i would like to know your experiance with AE86 Wings or your opinion for mine.
The engine that is mounted on the car is an 20v BlackTop 1.6 with 120whp dyno resault.
The spoiler that i have is a GT Wing made for skyline. The car is clearly ans only used for grip racing and NOT for drifting!!!
Also please dont mind for the broken exhaust.
Please take in consideration the track shape and size. The track shape that we use, is the red, on the bottom left corner. 2.2km long

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: AE-86 Track/Race car Spoiler/GT Wing Size and shape

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:21 am

If you're asking whether it makes sense to run a large wing, I think it does in some cases. I run an aerofoil wing from a Lotus Elise on my car and it made a significant difference on Laguna Seca. The rear is much more planted when I'm cooking down the hill. I'm able to go flat from T8 to T10 now, where I was not able to without the wing. I have class restrictions to consider, so the Elise wing works well for me. I could not use the wing that you are running and stay in a favorable class. If the tracks that you run on have high speed corners, I think running a wing makes good sense. It's just added weight and drag otherwise.

The angle that you have your wing mounted is adding a lot of drag. I think you can run a shallower angle and have it work effectively, but with much less drag. That should enable you to achieve a higher stop speed. The endplates seem to hang well off the side of the car, which would make it illegal for most race classes. Something to consider if you intend to do any competition stuff.