corolla ae86 ignition system, petrol 1984

hijack

corolla ae86 ignition system, petrol 1984

Postby hijack » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi. i am looking for a diagram of how my ignition system should be wired. At present my ignition system consists of a coil, ballast resistor, igniter and distributor but I don't know if I have wired them up correctly. The igniter and ballast resistor are mounted on the coil. The distributor has three wires coming out of it. They are white, red and blue but only the white and blue are connected. Incidentally the fault is that the car turns over but won't fire. Any help or wiring diagram would be great.

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: corolla ae86 ignition system, petrol 1984

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:45 am

There is a link to the Factory Service Manuals at the top of the TECH & AE86 page after you select the appropriate link. Scroll down and then go to the website and download the manuals.

If you can, try to post some pictures of what you're dealing with.

Have you recently done any work on the car? Such as removing and replacing the distributor? If so, recheck the timing marks on the timing gear and camshafts. Remove the oil filler cap and turn the crankshaft clockwise with a 19mm six point socket until the dimples on the camshafts, the dimple of the timing gear and the mark on the intake cam line up. Remove the distributor cap after you know it is at top dead center and make sure the distributor rotor is facing towards the number one spark plug location on the distributor cap.

The FSM is your best friend. And there are a lot of helpful people and technical threads at the top of the TECH section.