Techno Toy Tuning Traction Brackets & 4-Links

hachidustin

Techno Toy Tuning Traction Brackets & 4-Links

Postby hachidustin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 pm

So, I was looking to replace my brackets and 4-links on my AE86 because mine are looking crusty and worn out, and I also plan on lowering my car even more than it already is, and of course I turn to Techno Toy Tuning for these parts because I love their site and everything on it, but I wanna know has anybody used these before on here? What do you guys think of them?

LongGrain

Re: Techno Toy Tuning Traction Brackets & 4-Links

Postby LongGrain » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 pm

i had T3 4 links and traction brackets. I sold them without even putting them on the car to go with all battle version stuff instead.

Dont get me wrong, T3 makes quality parts, I have a bunch of T3 parts on my car. I had fitment issues with my T3 traction brackets, and general consensus is that bv half rubber, half heim 5 link are the best in the business.

They are roughly the same cost, I would go with BV over T3 for the parts you are inquiring about.

hachidustin

Postby hachidustin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 am

Why are the BV race 4-links cheaper than the BV street 4-links?

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:47 am

it probably has to do with the bushed end. it is probably a coustom piece compared to the heim that is off the shelf. think about it the heim is one peice the bushing is the threaded shaft welded to a pipe that holds the bushing and isnt an off the shelf part.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:34 pm

Yep, heims are cheaper than those bushing ends

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:16 pm

That's exactly the reason. Alex builds the poly end by hand, including pressing the bushing in and painting it. I've helped him build a batch :)

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:22 pm

I am running T3 traction brackets and four links. As long as the pinion angle is set correctly, you should not have any binding issues. When these cars are lowered with short stroke struts, then there isnt much travel in the suspension. So binding really isn't an issue. I did not have any fitment issues with the traction brackets. They fit on the housing tight. If there is any fitment issue it is because the axle housing brackets are bent a little bit. Either way, BV or T3 are good. I went with T3 because I wanted to keep as many T3 parts on my car as possible. Usually thats the best way to go..... sticking with one brand so everything works in conjunction with one another.

The heim joints are for serious use but they can be driven on the street. Depending on primarily plan on using the car for, I would then decide on heim or bushing ends. The BV bushings ends will be gentler on the car where as the heim joints will not allow any slop. If your mostly going to be driving your car on the street with occasionally weekend warrior events, then I would go for the BV bushing 4 links. If it is mostly a track with some street use, I would use the heim joints.

Vic

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:34 pm

"Usually thats the best way to go..... sticking with one brand so everything works in conjunction with one another."

that is not even a little bit true.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:08 pm

Its not true for all applications but it is good general practice. For example building an engine full of HKS parts is generally better than building one with a hodge podge of different brands. Most companies test their parts with their own parts installed. Their parts are designed to work best with their other parts. I dont see how this cant be true.

Mixing parts can be advantageous because some can be better than others. It depends on the application. However like I said above, most companies design their parts to work with their other parts.

also please explain your reasoning.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:28 pm

Jeonsah wrote:most companies design their parts to work with their other parts.

this is a figment of your imagination. What you are describing is superstition, or brand loyalty, depending on the context. There is absolutely no advantage to buying all parts from the same brand name

Relating this to the discussion at hand. T3 suspension parts are not designed around other t3 suspension parts, they are designed around the factory parts. The frequency of T3 parts in your suspension setup makes no difference, what matters is the design (which is going to be fairly universal as they are all based off of the factory units) and the quality of the materials used.

obviously there are SOME exclusions to this, such as parts that you must use in conjunction with eachother, like the battle version LCA/Tension rod combo deal, certain manifold/turbo setups and things like types of hose mixed with different hose ends that are not compatible.

In summary, you should pick the parts that have the best design and best materials used in production, which isnt always going to be the same brand name.

Show me ONE place on the T3 site where it says "should be used in conjuntion with..." You wont, because it will only list the advantages that that part has over the stock part, because that is what it was designed around.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Everything I have said in my previous post is true. If you are referring to T3 parts then I cannot give you proof because I did not design the T3 parts. If you want this information, go and ask Gabe.

Anyways, everything you said is true also. It depends on the application. Im not gonna go into any further discussion because both of us would be trying to disprove truthful statements.

Regardless, T3 makes great traction brackets and 4-Links and so does Battle Version. Either brand is fine. People are very dedicated to BV on this website because of the technical article posted. Theres nothing wrong with this but I am personally running T3's stuff and I have not had an issue.

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:04 pm

Only issue I had with the T3 traction brackets was the stack of washers needed between the bush and bracket on the set I bought.
Only makes it a little fiddly to fit initially.
Edit: It was either 1 or 2 washers on each side

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:30 pm

LongGrain wrote:"Usually thats the best way to go..... sticking with one brand so everything works in conjunction with one another."

that is not even a little bit true.

im on longrain's side with this one.

and definitely would go with Battle Version if I had the choice between the two.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:11 pm

This view can go either way. I agree with myself and with LongGrain. However here is some proof to my side:

Tsuchiya's AE86

ENGINE: AE111 5-Valve 4A-GE (Modified approx. 175 HP)
CAMS: TODA Racing 272/288
PISTONS: TODA Racing Forged Ø82mm
COMPUTER: FREEDOM ECU (MOTORe Tune/Setting)
TRANSMISSION: TRD 3-Speed Cross-Mission (Close Ratio 1-3)
FINAL DRIVE: Genuine Toyota 4.778
LSD: TRD 2-WAY (Mechanical)
EXHAUST MANIFOLD/MUFFLER: TRD Custom
DAMPER: (F&R)TRD AE86 (Blue adjustable short-stroke)
SPRINGS: (F)8Kg/mm (R)8Kg/mm (Was upto (F)12Kg/mm and (R)10Kg/mm depending on track)
STABILIZER: TRD (Anti Roll Bars)
BUSHINGS: TRD Reinforced/Strengthened Rubber compound
HOOD: M-TECHNIC Dry Carbon Bonnet
TAILGATE: TRD N2 Application FRP Hatch Wing
DOOR/SIDE MIRRORS: SHITSUA MODEL Dry Carbon - 350g each (less than half OEM mirror 820g)
BODY REINFORCEMENT: Tokyo Kagaku Toso Inc. (As seen in video posted above)
MAINTENANCE: MOTORe (TRD's Sakurai)
BRAKE: (F)MZ21 Caliper & Disk (R)OEM Disk
BRAKE PADS: IMAGE (F)C2 (R)Super-Sports
WHEELS: SSR Dori Dori Mesh 15x7J offset -2
TIRES: BS Potenza RE-01 195/50R15
WEIGHT: Approx. 900KG.

A lot of those parts are TRD and some TODA. As long as its quality parts, sticking with a brand in general does happen. However, in the case of T3 vs BV 4-Links, they're both fine. It actually just comes down to whether or not you want heim jointed ends or poly ends. It depends on your application.

"so everything works in conjuction with one another"

I think that quote is wrong. Using only a certain brand doesnt mean its the only way its going to work out. All im saying is SOME parts are desired to work with the same brand better than working with another brand. LongGrain is right in that you can mix and match parts that have the best materials etc. This is plain common sense as well. There are so many scenarios for both sides that it is pointless to talk about it. Either way, im tired of talking about it.

mikeyee
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby mikeyee » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 am

that's just a parts list glorifying tsuchiya's 86. and an outdated list at that too.

i don't get where you're going with this.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:07 am

mikeyee wrote:that's just a parts list glorifying tsuchiya's 86. and an outdated list at that too.

i don't get where you're going with this.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:45 pm

Keiichi is sponsored by TRD. TRD also built the car.

As for the sticking with the same brand thing...it certainly helps with show points and sticker collections!

Seriously though, you should always buy according to 4 things: Price, Dependability, Serviceability, technical needs.

Some things to consider (some have already been pointed out)

BV 4-link are available with poly on one end. No other manufacturer does this. There are different feelings about whether or not its better even under racing conditions.
BV traction brackets are cheaper than all others, and are a single piece of steel VS T3 welded units.
Cusco roll center adjusters are 30mm thick, T3 are 35, BV are 40mm.
T3 negative camber roll center adjusters have a single setting, BV have 2
Cusco is based in Japan, are blue in color. T3 are in Northern California, and are Red. BV are in Socal, and are silver

So there's spec, color, construction and other differences. Figure out what you think will work, what your setup requires, and shop accordingly.

ethergore2
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ethergore2 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 am

I have to recommend the BV links. The bushing really helps cut down on vibration and flexes when needed. The good thing is that bushing is very stiff and still gives the feeling that there is no movement.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:52 am

I wish bv offered 5 links with poly bushings on both ends.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby chohdog » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:02 pm

We can custom build that for you if you want. If you are interested, PM me. They will be more expensive though that the 50/50 as the Poly ends are hand welded and pressed.