4AC blown, what the hell am I getting myself into??

Ryusei_Date
Club4AG Enthusiast

4AC blown, what the hell am I getting myself into??

Postby Ryusei_Date » Tue May 26, 2015 9:20 pm

So yeah I blew out the head gasket on my 4AC, and since I got another daily, I figured it's finally time to lay the old single cam to rest. Although I've been researching and digging up any guide I could on ensuring a smooth GT-S swap, I just don't have enough money right now to buy all the parts at once, rent's hard to make lol. I guess I could either find a junked GT-S that has the engine intact and pull that out, even though I know that's just not happening at the junkyards around Norcal, and even if they did they'd last for all of 5 minutes before they're torn apart lol.

But yeah I got time to collect all the parts, I'm in no rush and as long as I take my time to make sure I do it right, I shouldn't have that many roadblocks right? All I want is a bluetop 16v, nothing crazy like a 1UZ-FE. Even if I'm a 20 year old without a whole lot of experience in working on cars, lots of guides are helping me get an idea for what to expect. Even though I also know that whatever a guide teaches me rarely prepares me for the actual thing I'm gonna do.

I'd love some advice and tips on how to make sure my swap goes well, I got time and I can't afford a motor right this moment, so for now I'll brush up and see what I can learn before the time comes.
Also yes, I know this topic must come up at least twice a day and that must get old fast for you 4-AGE'rs out there. I appreciate whatever help or advice I can get right now, after all knowledge is power!
Thanks for putting up with this question that's as old as the forums :mrgreen:
my car: 1986 Toyota AE86 coupe

jondee86

Re: 4AC blown, what the hell am I getting myself into??

Postby jondee86 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Here ya go... this is a good place to start...
AE86 SR-5 to GT-S Swap - DIY by assassin10000

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Tue May 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Since you are short on money, I'd try to source a 4AG from an AE101 and work on converting it to RWD. Sourcing a specific type of 4AG won't help your case.

Help will be inbound eventually if you didn't find this helpful enough.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Wed May 27, 2015 10:40 am

Ryusei_Date wrote:So yeah I blew out the head gasket on my 4AC, and since I got another daily, I figured it's finally time to lay the old single cam to rest. Although I've been researching and digging up any guide I could on ensuring a smooth GT-S swap, I just don't have enough money right now to buy all the parts at once, rent's hard to make lol. I guess I could either find a junked GT-S that has the engine intact and pull that out, even though I know that's just not happening at the junkyards around Norcal, and even if they did they'd last for all of 5 minutes before they're torn apart lol.

But yeah I got time to collect all the parts, I'm in no rush and as long as I take my time to make sure I do it right, I shouldn't have that many roadblocks right? All I want is a bluetop 16v, nothing crazy like a 1UZ-FE. Even if I'm a 20 year old without a whole lot of experience in working on cars, lots of guides are helping me get an idea for what to expect. Even though I also know that whatever a guide teaches me rarely prepares me for the actual thing I'm gonna do.

I'd love some advice and tips on how to make sure my swap goes well, I got time and I can't afford a motor right this moment, so for now I'll brush up and see what I can learn before the time comes.
Also yes, I know this topic must come up at least twice a day and that must get old fast for you 4-AGE'rs out there. I appreciate whatever help or advice I can get right now, after all knowledge is power!
Thanks for putting up with this question that's as old as the forums :mrgreen:

Seems like you've got a good head on your shoulders; I'm sure your swap will go fine.

That link jondee86 shared is probably the best write-up on the swap. It's worth noting that you can keep the SR5 driveshaft and rear end for a while if you're having trouble sourcing them.

Since you have another car, you can take your time and gather parts (like you said, finding a GTS donor car is probably pretty unlikely). As Clouds said, a FWD 4AGE longblock is a good place to start, but you'll still need some RWD 4AGE bits (accessories + brackets, water pump, water piping, water inlets + outlets on the head, just to name a few). There are some threads on this topic, so just search around.

Ryusei_Date
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ryusei_Date » Wed May 27, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks, everyone, I'm feeling a lot more confident now :D My biggest fear on this is just messing up in the swap, then having to take everything apart just to plug in a fuse or something. But hopefully by the time the engine's ready, I'll be a little more mechanically inclined and I'll have assassin1000's awesome guide memorized. That's my swap bible for now lol

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Thu May 28, 2015 8:56 am

Ryusei_Date wrote:Thanks, everyone, I'm feeling a lot more confident now :D My biggest fear on this is just messing up in the swap, then having to take everything apart just to plug in a fuse or something. But hopefully by the time the engine's ready, I'll be a little more mechanically inclined and I'll have assassin1000's awesome guide memorized. That's my swap bible for now lol

Np :) Good luck with your project! Once you start work on it, make a build thread if you can. They're fun to read, but if everything is documented it'll help people here diagnose your issues if you run into problems. Plus, it'll help future people with the swap :)

Ryusei_Date
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ryusei_Date » Thu May 28, 2015 2:00 pm

I was thinking of getting some friends and making a funnny/informative video tutorial on the swap. I'll do a build log at the very least! I don't want the future generation of SR5'ers to feel like they're treading uncharted waters :D

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun May 31, 2015 7:29 pm

If you can find the link for project 15-16 on pdf... it gives great instructions as well
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 am

Ryusei_Date wrote:I was thinking of getting some friends and making a funnny/informative video tutorial on the swap. I'll do a build log at the very least! I don't want the future generation of SR5'ers to feel like they're treading uncharted waters :D

Awesome :)

grappletech wrote:If you can find the link for project 15-16 on pdf... it gives great instructions as well

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum ... -Taka-Aono

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks yellowsnow for the bucket.... grappletech with the assist.
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

saiGone
Club4AG Expert

Postby saiGone » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:56 am

Sr5-GTS survivor. Feel free to AMA lol
Club 4AG member since 05 (Formally SaigonsSon)

Ryusei_Date
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Ryusei_Date » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:53 pm

I never doubted survivors were lurking lol. I guess my biggest concern is if everything is just plug and play. Strip the 4-AC and all its stuff, drop the 4-AGE and all its goodies, plug everything in the harnesses or the ECU, then that's basically it? I'm sure there's a lot more than that to an engine swap, but since the chassis was built for the 4-AGE, I can't imagine it's gonna be SUPER complicated to hook everything up.