Fuel pickup problem with Supra fuel pump in AE86

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Fuel pickup problem with Supra fuel pump in AE86

Postby The Bloody Panda » Sat May 23, 2015 1:23 am

I've got an AE86 with a Silvertop and either a GTS or SR5 gas tank. I'm running a Supra fuel pump as a solution to the supposed problem of not having enough fuel to feed the Silvertop with the factory fuel pump. When I get below 7 gallons of gas I start to have all sorts of problems with the engine not being able to get any fuel when I'm turning. My plan is to go back to the original fuel pump and hope that it moves enough fuel for the Silvertop while also fixing the pickup problem. My logic is that the Supra fuel pump pickup doesn't go as low into the tank as the factory pump does. Anybody got a better idea?

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Fuel pickup problem with Supra fuel pump in AE86

Postby davew7 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:54 am

Simply cut the mounting bracket that holds the pump and either weld or bolt on an extension, to get the pump near the bottom of the tank. I was able to pull the stock wire thru the grommet when extending my AE86 unit. Dave W

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Tue May 26, 2015 9:20 am

AE86 pump should have plenty of capacity. Get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and set it within the AE101 spec and you're good to go.

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Tue May 26, 2015 2:08 pm

Swapping back to the factory AE86 fuel pump is the most ideal solution for me. I've been concerned about whether or not the pump could flow enough fuel for the 20V but I too think it should be adequate. I don't plan on getting an adjustable fuel pressure regulator since I think that the factory Silvertop fuel pressure regulator should be just fine. Or is there some sort of logic behind getting an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator that I'm not considering?...

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Tue May 26, 2015 8:29 pm

Not that I'm aware of panda ... however it's a monitoring and troobleshooting tool!
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

The Bloody Panda
Club4AG Expert

Postby The Bloody Panda » Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 am

Oh I see, I'm sure that would be quite nice to have for when I'm ready to get more serious than just bolt ons. For now I'll keep rolling with my factory FPR since it works and suits my setup.