Driver Side Puddle of Water

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Driver Side Puddle of Water

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 am

Good day my fellow Hachi-Roku owners.

I did a quick search online and in this forum and only found one hint to my possible problem.

It seems the chassis of the pre 1983 corolla differs from the 1983 and newer chassis.

Problem: Driver side puddle of water when it sits in rain.

I pulled the fender and checked for possible rusted areas that would allow water inside. I did not find one. I have not dusted with talcum powder as suggested by Andrew from a previous post back in 2010. I have the FSM and will keep reading.

If it is the window seal, is it easy to fix? Anyone have an idea how much a new front and rear window plus seals will cost?

I appreciate all input. Thanks for your time.

Deuce Cam

Re: Driver Side Puddle of Water

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm assuming you mean the driver foot area.

If it happens when just parked my guess would be a leak from the windshield or around the door.

It's also possible that it could be the rear window(s) or hatch door since the water can travel down the trim, but it shouldn't go all the way to the front. Even if this were the case you'd see signs of leaking where the plastic headliner/window trim pieces connect above the rear seat area.

Fwiw I've had a hatch and coupe that leaked a little from the top of the rear driver side quarter window, and it would drip where the plastic trim pieces met above the window onto the far left side of the rear seat bench. I also used to get some water in the driver foot area when driving in the rain, but that was when I wasn't using fender liners, and there was a small tear in the grommet where the wire harness passes through the firewall.

Talcum powder sounds like a good method for tracking the leak down. Before it rains next time maybe try removing the driver floor mat, kick panel, and the long plastic trim piece on the edge of the carpet below the door before applying the powder. You'll be able to pull the corner of the carpet up and see a lot more without the carpet and trim in the way. If you want more access (and cover more area) remove the door panel and dash trim below the steering column. All the stuff can easily be removed in 5-10 minutes if you've done it before.

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Driver Side Puddle of Water

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks, i will remove the trim pieces and wait. Of course this being the east Cascades I'll be seeing plenty of rain. Yes, the grommet is torn from where they poked the power wire for the stereo.

I forgot to mention it is a coupe. Yes driver foot area.