A little help with supsension

shadowwolf151
Club4AG Regular

A little help with supsension

Postby shadowwolf151 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 am

So to make a long story short. I bought a 1986 SR5, previous owners cut coils, dropped car about 3", I don't like the way it rides. I am working on doing some restoration work, and it is going to be a daily driver. I have been doing some research on suspension and think I know what I am looking for. I want a suspension that is soft enough for daily driving, with a mildly sporty feel. I was thinking a 4kg front and 3kg rear, around a 1" drop from OEM. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what to buy, where to buy it? Any help is appreciated.

Deuce Cam

Re: A little help with supsension

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:55 pm

That's a good plan, and the spring rates/drop are perfect for what you described.

We think alike. I actually contacted AJPS the other day asking about 4/3k springs with a 1-1.25" drop (linear springs). He can supply them - I think the price was $400 for a set. They're in the vendor section.

There aren't really any other off the shelf options that meet your criteria that I know of. The Tanabe springs have a 1" drop, but the rates are roughly 2.7k. The Megan spring rates are 4.5/4k, but the drop is over 1.5".

You'll want to look at stock replacement long stroke sport shocks. The best bang for the buck are probably Tokico HP and the TRD oil shocks. Or if you want to spend more options like Bilstein, TRD gas adjustable, Koni, Tokico HTS, etc. are all good choices.

shadowwolf151
Club4AG Regular

Re: A little help with supsension

Postby shadowwolf151 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:49 am

Thank you :D