Ways to remove seam sealer?

ariel_86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Ways to remove seam sealer?

Postby ariel_86 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm in the process of stripping out the sound deadening in my coupe and wanted some recommendations on how to remove the seam sealer, or if I should bother with it right now. I've heard that a wire wheel is just the best way to do it, is that true?

Also, mostly unrelated, whats with these rectangular panels in the floor of the car? One each in the footwell of on the driver and passenger side, one each under the front seats. Why are then there?

I've removed pretty much all the sound deadening from the car and found I have some rust to fix in the drivers floorboard area. My current plan and goals are to have a stripped out "racecar" that will eventually (hopefully next year) get caged and and become a proper racecar.
1985 Toyota Corolla Sport GTS - Ariel - 105.5 whp 93.8 ft-lbs of torque
2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 V6 6MT - mmm, taco!
2006 Mitsubishi Lancer ES 5MT - 2slow

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Re: Ways to remove seam sealer?

Postby Clouds » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:12 am

If it doesn't remove much weight from the car, I personally would just leave it alone. Just my $0.02.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 am

If its brittle, use a flat uead to get the large chunks out, then wire wheel to remove the rest before putting new stuff down
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

rootednode
Club4AG Regular

Postby rootednode » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:32 pm

I used dry ice, let it freeze the tar and then whacked it with a hammer and it popped off in big chunks.

0yoshyosh0

Postby 0yoshyosh0 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:44 pm

I wonder same thing to. You can use dry ice on the sound denting but the seam is really hard to get to. I spent hours on mine and still not done. I used a scrapper and a hammer to get most of the sealer out then used picks and wire brush on a drill. It work pretty good but was a lot of work. If there is a easier than that'd be great cause I still got some hard spots to get too

-----¥ DREAMERS ¥-----

seymour86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby seymour86 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:43 pm

For Seam sealer I hit it with a wire wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Be sure to where a face shield and long sleeve shirt as the wire bristles sometimes fly off at a very high rate of speed. After that I will usually use a pick to get the little pieces that are missed.
breezefabrication.com
ryan@breezefabrication.com