4AGTE Builds

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

4AGTE Builds

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:25 pm

So since the old forum went down everything apparently got erased, is there any one building 4AGTE's? anyone that already have setups ?

I definitely would like to get more info on this stuff again !
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Gettin-little
Club4AG Regular

Re: 4AGTE Builds

Postby Gettin-little » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 am

Dave,
i am having a buddy build my motor and a some other things while im on deployment. but here is the list of my intended parts to go on my 85' gts coupe
cxracing complete turbo kit( tho i havent heard much about this company their kit looks really strong and clean)
Brian Crower 1.8L stroker( same comp as stock 4agze)
HKS metal head gasket
full stud upgrade(main and head)
adjustable cam pulleys( brand undecided)
poncam bump sticks
20v oil pump
with that list alone im pretty sure 250whp should b easy. a few other things that escape my mind right now, and i havent decided how i wanna approach the fuel management and computer. but im gonna guess that id b able to hit 350+ on high boost. but its gonna b my daily/weekend track car so a conservative 250 should b nice. do u think there is anything i missed from that list and do those numbers sound about right? from my research that should b right on the money. ill keep this updated as much as i can.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:03 pm

Gettin-little wrote:Dave,
i am having a buddy build my motor and a some other things while im on deployment. but here is the list of my intended parts to go on my 85' gts coupe
cxracing complete turbo kit( tho i havent heard much about this company their kit looks really strong and clean)
Brian Crower 1.8L stroker( same comp as stock 4agze)
HKS metal head gasket
full stud upgrade(main and head)
adjustable cam pulleys( brand undecided)
poncam bump sticks
20v oil pump
with that list alone im pretty sure 250whp should b easy. a few other things that escape my mind right now, and i havent decided how i wanna approach the fuel management and computer. but im gonna guess that id b able to hit 350+ on high boost. but its gonna b my daily/weekend track car so a conservative 250 should b nice. do u think there is anything i missed from that list and do those numbers sound about right? from my research that should b right on the money. ill keep this updated as much as i can.

sounds like a pretty good setup, i've heard with the cxracing kit it isn't half bad but i hear the turbo's are hit or miss so i'd opt for a different turbo if possible but it'll last depending on your driving style. Also with their top mount log manifolds you'll have to find a way to make a custom downpipe to clear the steering column. As far as the hp/tq numbers i really couldn't tell you what to expect I don't have a turbo setup yet but i want to go the turbo route. Make sure you have a W58 Trans and a beefier rear end to take the hp/tq. With the stock T50 trans and rear end you'll blow them pretty quick at those numbers from what i've been hearing.
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Gettin-little
Club4AG Regular

Postby Gettin-little » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:13 am

yeah i hear ya on the trans and rear end. im actually looking up info on that swap. thats the last thing i wanna do is build a good motor only to not b able to use it. that would suck. haha

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:20 pm

Gettin-little wrote:yeah i hear ya on the trans and rear end. im actually looking up info on that swap. thats the last thing i wanna do is build a good motor only to not b able to use it. that would suck. haha

yea definitely if you are going turbo you definitely don't want to grandma drive the car to keep it alive lol. You should look into getting a W58 you can find them at most junkyards for a fairly decent price and then get a GTS bellhousing adaptor i hear you can get them from some place in Australia (don't know the name of the place) but it's about $600 i hear. You'd need a custom drive shaft and source out a celica supra rear end OR weir performance does a beefier axle and solid crush sleeve for the stock LSD rear end it's almost a grand i believe. I'm still doing research myself, I'm sure there's other guys on here that have this stuff already and can chime in on this.

rongfk
Club4AG Expert

Postby rongfk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:58 am

-freshly built, not even broken In yet, 7-rib 4agze longblock with new everything, it has a new full engine gasket set, new japanese nippon piston rings, new acl race bearings (main, rod, & thrust), rebuilt gze head (large port), new hks 2.0mm head gasket, new arp head stud and rod & crank bolt kit, new race copper freez plugs, new water pump, new timing belt, new oil pump, new edis-4 coil pack, new ignition cables, etc.

hopeing to see over 200 hp out of it.

engine set up:
-garrett rebuilt t25 with internal waste gate s13
-New custom fabricated intake manifold w/ 80mm throutle body
-custom turbo piping
-hks style manifold
-hks copy blow off valve
-megan down pipe
-sard fpr
-fuel pressure gauge
-walbro fuel pump
-big front mount intercooler
-460cc injectors
-koyo aluminum radiator with an electric fan
-New bigger than stock oil cooler with dual electric fans
-Oil relocation kit
-samco blue radiator hoses
-ZackLee Clear cam cover
-hks adjustible cam gears (second Gen. purple/blue)
-TODA-R 264 cams 7.9 lift in/ex
-manual boost controller
-aluminum oil catch can
-New megan engine mount
-New megan tranny mount
-New brake master cylinder

standalone ecu:
-also have a New megasquirt 2 3.0 with new custom engine harness adapted for ford edis-4 setup.
-Zeitronix zt-2 wideband with bosh Sensor

always looking to buy original ae86 master power window switches or parts, good or broken or not working.

look for my parts for sale...

rongfk1963@yahoo.com

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 am

wow very clean setup man!!

i actually have a few questions, pm'd you!

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 pm

bump anyone else have setups?

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:35 pm

rongfk wrote:-freshly built, not even broken In yet, 7-rib 4agze longblock with new everything, it has a new full engine gasket set, new japanese nippon piston rings, new acl race bearings (main, rod, & thrust), rebuilt gze head (large port), new hks 2.0mm head gasket, new arp head stud and rod & crank bolt kit, new race copper freez plugs, new water pump, new timing belt, new oil pump, new edis-4 coil pack, new ignition cables, etc.

hopeing to see over 200 hp out of it.

engine set up:
-garrett rebuilt t25 with internal waste gate s13
-New custom fabricated intake manifold w/ 80mm throutle body
-custom turbo piping
-hks style manifold
-hks copy blow off valve
-megan down pipe
-sard fpr
-fuel pressure gauge
-walbro fuel pump
-big front mount intercooler
-460cc injectors
-koyo aluminum radiator with an electric fan
-New bigger than stock oil cooler with dual electric fans
-Oil relocation kit
-samco blue radiator hoses
-ZackLee Clear cam cover
-hks adjustible cam gears (second Gen. purple/blue)
-TODA-R 264 cams 7.9 lift in/ex
-manual boost controller
-aluminum oil catch can
-New megan engine mount
-New megan tranny mount
-New brake master cylinder

standalone ecu:
-also have a New megasquirt 2 3.0 with new custom engine harness adapted for ford edis-4 setup.
-Zeitronix zt-2 wideband with bosh Sensor

What are you using for a tranny?

rongfk
Club4AG Expert

Postby rongfk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:09 am

tranny is stock bro, this was intended to be a my daily.
always looking to buy original ae86 master power window switches or parts, good or broken or not working.

look for my parts for sale...

rongfk1963@yahoo.com

redroku87
Club4AG Expert

Postby redroku87 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Its an awesome daily.
I think that a T50 will be fine for my sunday driver with the same power haha,

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:22 pm

bump!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:24 pm

The old forum is here as an archive.
http://forums.club4ag.com/

I have an AW11 with a stock internaled BT still running 11:1 compression.
DSM T25 @7 PSI
GZE ECU
380 cc side feed injectors
3SGTE AFM
Custom intake manifold with integrated W2A IC
Burns stainless custom manifold
3" turbo back exhaust with high flow cat and hooker aerochamber muffler

Wiring needs a lot of cleanup but I'll tackle that when I finish my MS3.
Needs a nice polycarbonate fastback engine lid to tie it all together.
Turns out a lot of people don't like it ascetically lol but fkem.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:55 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:Needs a nice polycarbonate fastback engine lid to tie it all together.
Turns out a lot of people don't like it ascetically lol but fkem.

From this and other pics I've seen of your AW11, it looks very Mad Max! I love it :D The polycarbonate engine lid is a cool idea though. It will certainly look interesting.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

trueno13
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trueno13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Image this is mine
Last edited by trueno13 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:33 pm

^^
very clean, got any more pics and maybe engine/turbo specs?

trueno13
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trueno13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:39 pm

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:05 pm

trueno13 wrote:Image this is mine

very clean!

running MS?

trueno13
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trueno13 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:59 pm

Yes i am but ms1 with spark extra , i hate though - the turbo is from cxracing and way to much lag as well as having a problem with the tune . Am going to switch to a t28 real soon, and get a run on a dyno .

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am

trueno13 wrote:Yes i am but ms1 with spark extra , i hate though - the turbo is from cxracing and way to much lag as well as having a problem with the tune . Am going to switch to a t28 real soon, and get a run on a dyno .

nice!

yea i've heard the cxracing turbo's aren't so great and definitely don't last but I haven't used one personally just have heard from others. I will be running a T25, need to get the MS sorted out and tuned soon I hope

Bigmike203

Postby Bigmike203 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Sorry to revive an older thread but i think it would be better to post it on this thread. I have a 1986 gts it has the stock motor in it but i purchased a 20v blacktop with ford edis COP conversion etc, i was thinkin if i should slowly build it and turbo it, my goals are 300hp. Im setting the car up for circuit track racing when i have the chance to go, but it will also be my daily for now. What do you guys think i should do, build the blacktop or sell it and swap a 2.0 of some varient into it? Im worried about haveing spooling issues with the 1.6 because i want fast response without a huge burst of power, but i would like to meet my goal with medium levels of boost (14-18 psi) I was thinking about running a gt28rs with a smaller a.r, i have no experiance with this stuff first hand because ive been raised around hondas. so im just curious about what you think. Build or scrap it and swap it for a 2.0. Thanks

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:42 pm

Bigmike203 wrote:Sorry to revive an older thread but i think it would be better to post it on this thread. I have a 1986 gts it has the stock motor in it but i purchased a 20v blacktop with ford edis COP conversion etc, i was thinkin if i should slowly build it and turbo it, my goals are 300hp. Im setting the car up for circuit track racing when i have the chance to go, but it will also be my daily for now. What do you guys think i should do, build the blacktop or sell it and swap a 2.0 of some varient into it? Im worried about haveing spooling issues with the 1.6 because i want fast response without a huge burst of power, but i would like to meet my goal with medium levels of boost (14-18 psi) I was thinking about running a gt28rs with a smaller a.r, i have no experiance with this stuff first hand because ive been raised around hondas. so im just curious about what you think. Build or scrap it and swap it for a 2.0. Thanks

It seems as though you have skipped one of the most financially viable and practical options of boosting a 16 valve engine. I don't know AEs as well as AWs. You are currently running a 4AGE right? You could find a healthy 7 rib LP or SP and throw some good boost ready pistons in it and have a pretty good start.
Don't get me wrong. I love my turbo BT and think everyone should have one. It's just going to cost a little more once you factor buying the engine, modifying the engine, wiring the car, ETC. That said it's going to be much cheaper and easier than any 2.0 swap.

As for powerband, here is a good dyno of a 300HP 4AGE. This is on a 16G which should be good for another 50 HP.
http://www.mr2ownersclub.com/mr2records ... wa_305.jpg
I suspect a disco potato should spool a little bit sooner especially with the smaller AR. Hardrivn is running this turbo with the larger turbine housing and says it's a little laggy but has good potential. If you are on MR2OC or MR2board you could try PMing him for personal thoughts.

This is the cam I would run. on a 20V. http://matrixgarage.com/products/tomei- ... int-256-ex
It's technically an NA cam but has pretty great specs for a moderate level turbo cam as well.

On a 16v you could choose between the kelford turbo cam or the Tomei poncam.
http://matrixgarage.com/products/kelfor ... agte-4agze

http://matrixgarage.com/products/tomei- ... 64-81mm-ex

All three of these cams are a bit bigger than the 101s in the dyno above. There may be a small loss down low but it would also mean being able to make more power per pound of boost.
The 101s are actually very close to the specs of the 20V cams so you could probably get to your goal on them but would require more boost than it would take with more cam.

You may find this thread interesting. I posted it on this board as well but there has been a lot more conversation on the subject on MR2board and MR2OC.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-aw11 ... draft.html

Bigmike203

Postby Bigmike203 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 pm

Thanks for your input, i forgot to add that the BT i own is sitting on an engine hoist, the 16v is bone stock and in the car. the Bt- ibought it with a megasquirt 2 ecu and harness along with a water line conversion kit and all the goodies that you need for ford edis 4 including a crank angle sensor so im good in that department, thank you for all your info because my main concern was driveability and spool charateristics, i know my question is noobish lol but i never had any experiance with boost, i know theres no replacement for discplacement so i was curious if before i spend money on the build if it would make more sense to use a 3sgte just because of driveability (torque) pretty much and the ability to raise power without sacrificing as much lag. I just wouldnt want to regret building it 4,000$ later lol. It pretty much comes down to build the 20v or scrap it and install a 2.0 engine.The cams you showed me are perfect becuase i plan on keeping vvt as well.The dyno you showed me clearly shows it has more than enough balls to get the job done fairly easy-with the right parts. i think im leaning towards the blacktop, i was just stumped on which direction to go. im going to check out the links you showed me and thanks again.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:55 am

Bigmike203 wrote:Thanks for your input, i forgot to add that the BT i own is sitting on an engine hoist, the 16v is bone stock and in the car. the Bt- ibought it with a megasquirt 2 ecu and harness along with a water line conversion kit and all the goodies that you need for ford edis 4 including a crank angle sensor so im good in that department, thank you for all your info because my main concern was driveability and spool charateristics, i know my question is noobish lol but i never had any experiance with boost, i know theres no replacement for discplacement so i was curious if before i spend money on the build if it would make more sense to use a 3sgte just because of driveability (torque) pretty much and the ability to raise power without sacrificing as much lag. I just wouldnt want to regret building it 4,000$ later lol. It pretty much comes down to build the 20v or scrap it and install a 2.0 engine.The cams you showed me are perfect becuase i plan on keeping vvt as well.The dyno you showed me clearly shows it has more than enough balls to get the job done fairly easy-with the right parts. i think im leaning towards the blacktop, i was just stumped on which direction to go. im going to check out the links you showed me and thanks again.

On the bright side that dyno is a 16V. It says it's an FA head so it will probably flow as well as you could hope but the larger cams should help you a bit. The BT with VVT should give it better low end and spool while still being able to hang on pretty well up top. Let OST PNP your head and I think overall you should be ahead. It shouldn't be necessary but it would maximize your power per lb of boost without hurting low end. Possibly even helping.

I have a pretty good deal worked out with Wiseco for custom pistons so if you really want to take it to the next level let me know. You definitely will not hit your goals on the stock 20v pistons.

povertymobile
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby povertymobile » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:41 pm

Great thread, bringing it back.

I have been doing a lot of research on the archived information. I am looking to turbo my car in the near future. In the archived information most of the ppl were using fuel MAP sensors from other cars it seems. This method seems kind of dated, do most ppl use mega squirts with thier set ups? Also do you really need to beef up the internals? On the archived information a lot of people got away with turbo's on stock bluetops.

I have 170k on the motor so its probably not going to be the most reliable with a turbo but I gotta learn somewhere right? Archives have a lot more info on this topic...maybe i am searching wrong.

I am just building a game plan, working on getting all the parts together and doing as much research as I possibly can to have this go as smoothly as possible. I am thinking on doing stand alone ems probably a mega squirt. Just have to learn the ins and outs of fuel mapping. (woo)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:59 am

povertymobile wrote:Great thread, bringing it back.

I have been doing a lot of research on the archived information. I am looking to turbo my car in the near future. In the archived information most of the ppl were using fuel MAP sensors from other cars it seems. This method seems kind of dated, do most ppl use mega squirts with thier set ups? Also do you really need to beef up the internals? On the archived information a lot of people got away with turbo's on stock bluetops.

I have 170k on the motor so its probably not going to be the most reliable with a turbo but I gotta learn somewhere right? Archives have a lot more info on this topic...maybe i am searching wrong.

I am just building a game plan, working on getting all the parts together and doing as much research as I possibly can to have this go as smoothly as possible. I am thinking on doing stand alone ems probably a mega squirt. Just have to learn the ins and outs of fuel mapping. (woo)

Not sure what you mean by people were using MAP sensors from other cars.
If you have a stock AW11, AE86 etc then the ECU doesn't use a MAP sensor. If you go aftermarket engine management then you can usually get a MAP sensor for it. You can also tune it to use most MAP sensors out there.
A lot of people have run megasquirt. Others have used some other setups. The NA 4AGE ECU can handle up to about 8 PSI without too much trouble. Above that it becomes more practical to choose your own engine management.
As for the internals, it totally depends on what you plan on doing with it, how much boost you want to run, how much power you want to make etc. It also depends on which bottom end you have. The 3 rib has smaller rods and it's a little weaker.
The pistons are the main weakness. On the 7 rib everything else is the same as the GZE and has been pushed over 600 HP.
Start by reading this.
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-aw11 ... draft.html

If you are not a member on the MR2OC then I would recommend joining and spending a good part of a day reading through the older threads in the MK1 forced induction section.