NEED HELP: STARTING PROBLEMS

marqisbk

NEED HELP: STARTING PROBLEMS

Postby marqisbk » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

I have a 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS with a 4AGE 16V. So I had pulled the motor and had the engine rebuilt. The car was starting before I pulled it and I labled all the connections. Now the engine won't start for some reason. I installed a new starter as well. I compared the set up to my friends Corolla, but it looks totally different. I know that I am missing a fuseable link, would that prevent me from starting?

So when I try to start, the starter doesn't crank. I hear clicking noises from the relays and I also hear the starter click. I tried starting with the lights on. The motor is not seized.

I took a picture of the mess that's on the exhaust side of the engine, maybe someone with more experience than me can try to explain what is going on, or where I need to look in order to fix this problem. If you can, please explain to me what the brown thing with the yellow wire attached does?

I'm also leaving for recruiting duty and would love to get it running before I leave, otherwise I'm going to sadly part ways with it.

maxpham
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: NEED HELP: STARTING PROBLEMS

Postby maxpham » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:35 pm

That thing on top of the brake proportioning valve looks aftermarket as heck. Could you disconnect it and take photos of any noticeable markings? A video of the start attempts would help.

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_Chaser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23 pm

Try borrowing ur friend starter and put on our 86 so u can eliminate the starter motor problem. If it doesn't work then u got a wire problem

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:13 am

The fusable links are needed for the starter in a round about way, they don't feed the starter but they do feed everything else, one being the ignition switch that powers the starters solenoid.
The starter needs 2 wires, something large from the battery's + terminal that's giving the solenoid current all the time, and a small wire that powers solenoid to connect power to the starter motor & engage the starter gear when is switched on momentarily by the ign switch. With that mess of yours, it's a question of wadda ya got & what's it doing.
If the battery terminals & cables are OK and engine's ground strap to the frame is OK, then putting 12v to the solenoid's small terminal will tell you whether the starter is OK or and that the ign. switch isn't delivering power when it should.

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:05 am

Hey that's a remote starter solenoid from a ford! Your 4age starter already has a solenoid built into it,so I don't understand what's the need for that.. Have you tried bypassing it & reconnecting the original starter signal wire?

Atleast you have your friends car for referencing..it helps
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

marqisbk

Postby marqisbk » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Guys,

Thanks for all the useful information. I got pointed in the right direction. I did some more research after that and figured out that it was a remote starter. I removed that hideous thing, bought some fuseable links and attached them. It cranks now, but the battery was low, so I am currently charging it. Again, thank you so much for the information.

- Mark

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

marqisbk wrote:Guys,

Thanks for all the useful information. I got pointed in the right direction. I did some more research after that and figured out that it was a remote starter. I removed that hideous thing, bought some fuseable links and attached them. It cranks now, but the battery was low, so I am currently charging it. Again, thank you so much for the information.

- Mark

Haha! Glad you got it figured out...Man, those remote soleniods have a 101 uses for them.. seeing it in your GTS was the first!
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega