Upcoming Turbo Build.

ValiantPoe

Upcoming Turbo Build.

Postby ValiantPoe » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

I'm planning on building a turbo 86 soon. ( I don't have the car yet, they are hard to find where I live. :cry: )

I'm going to use a T28 turbo, with the cxracing manifold, downpipe, and intercooler kit, and megasquirt to control it all. ;) Although I'm not completely sure on the engine. I was thinking about using a 4agze short block with a 16v head, or just rebuilding the 16v with lower compression pistons, thicker rods, and poncams. This would be my first time actually tearing down an engine, and I'm not sure if I can do it. :shock: I was also considering just doing a high compression, high rpm build. Less power, but the sound would be worth it. :lol:

Anyone's input/advice would be greatly appreciated. (Also, this will be my first car :mrgreen:)

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Upcoming Turbo Build.

Postby Tora » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 pm

My advice, as someone who has owned an AE86 for nearly ten years (not my "first" car, but the first car that was 100% mine), and who just completed a first-time engine build, would be to learn to walk before you run. A "simple" rebuild project has more than a few headaches involved and will require quite a bit more time and money than you think going into it. (Take the number of weeks you think you'll be working and multiply it by 2-2.5, and double the amount of money you think you're going to spend.) Though it sounds like you've done quite a bit of research, I'm not sure a turbo build would be the best choice for a first-time project.

That said, I learned more in the two months I spent rebuilding my bigport than I did in the previous eight years of working on the car. It's a bit more involved than replacing shocks, or installing a new clutch. So, when my new headgasket failed, it only took me a couple weeks to figure out the problem (missing washers under the head bolts, which NONE of my manuals mentioned), tear it all apart, reassemble it, and get back on the road.

Unless you end up getting some nice old lady's 25-year garaged pristine 100% stock GTS/SR5, there are going to be SO many small-to-major mechanical goodies to hone your skills on and dump your money into just to keep the thing on the road. When I stumbled upon my GTS--smashed clutch, leaking water pump, bad clutch master / slave, nasty carpet with about fifty cigarette butts under the seats and an oil pump leak that persisted for eight years until the headgasket finally blew--my number-one priority was just to keep it running and drive it.

So, I guess my recommendation is to work with what you end up getting, and don't try to go too big too fast. For a first build, I like your idea of going high-comp block to bigport head. It's practically stock, but with a nice power bump. Build it on a stand in your garage while you drive your car and fix the inevitable problems it will have. Now that my rebuild is complete, I have a pretty good idea of what my fantasy build looks like and how to go about it, but I'm in no hurry to have my car on jack-stands for another 2-3 month period. Now I'm free to work on day projects: full suspension bushing refresh, an electric radiator fan, some interior creature comforts, and I might finally have enough cash to get rid of the god-awful aftermarket wheels the previous owner put on the thing.

ValiantPoe

Postby ValiantPoe » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just drive it around for a few months, and get it into a reliable state, then decide what I want to do with the car. :D

Illegal_Garage
Club4AG Pro

Postby Illegal_Garage » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:04 am

Build the engine last is my advice
get nice brakes
wheels tires
steering wheel
suspension etc etc etc first
a corolla running on 3 cylinders with proper suspension is still a lot of fun

Max
Veteran Owned and Operated Business
Gulf War Era & The Bosnia-Herzegovina-Kosovo Wars
U.S. 7th Fleet
VQ-5 Det 5
VQ-1

Maxfrommisawa@aol.com

bigkahk
Club4AG Regular

Postby bigkahk » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:55 am

if you are planning on doing it, just go with a used 4AGZE motor off a used S/C MR2. Get it rebuilt with a metal Headgasket and stronger head bolts. Keep it simple, check this website out http://d1davey.com/4agte its pretty similar to the build my buddy built for me.