front brake noise

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

front brake noise

Postby 86_Chaser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 am

Old front pads were making a deep groan sound when reversing at cold start and sometime when normal braking at low speed. So I replace it with New bembo rotors with porterfield pads with all new wheel bearings. Went away for awhile and came back. Not sure if its the high performance pads :/ also, notices a slight rotor to pad sounds. Didnt notice much while driving but you can kinda heard it with radio off. When car is lifted and you spin wheel, you notice a uneven rotor to pad scrape sound. Sound like a warp rotor sound, so i turn the rotors to see if they were warped or not. But wasnt that warp to begin with and didn't fix the problem. I made sure the hardware werent touching the rotors. Pads seem fine. Theres no uneven wear or anything. Brakes perfectly fine. I notices that the noise/sound is coming from the outter pads when spinning the wheel by hand. I'm guessing reason why because the outter pads don't really have any spring action that keep separation between the pad and rotor. Its more like a stationary pad then anything unlike the inner pad when it kinda has a spring action. I feel like this is normal but i Just want a second opinion.

Btw, I order new pads and hardware. Going to try re-lubing the sliders again to see if it helps the problem.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: front brake noise

Postby ga_goosh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:25 am

what kind of brake pads did you use? i ask because semi-metalic pads are generaly noisier then the ceramic versions. also if the inside pad is wearing more or faster then the outside pad then you will need brake lines to correct that.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:57 am

I would start buy rebuilding/buying new calipers. These cars are almost 30 years old now and just about everything on them needs to be replaced. Normally if your having groaning issues and have replaced the rotors and pads, then its a caliper issue. The piston inside is not moving correctly or caliper slider has seized. As far as caliper brands, I would stick with the "professional grade" from RockAuto or attempt to get some OEM ones. I have had a similiar issue with my AE86 when I first got it. The moaning noise is the same noise that comes from the car when your waiting at a stoplight and slowly letting off the brakes. Its a groaning noise. This means that the calipers are squeezing the brake pads down on the rotor. Since you have replaced the bearings, pads, and rotors, the calipers are most likely the issue. Dont be cheap with the calipers because brakes are the only thing that keep you from stopping.

Good luck!

Vic

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_Chaser » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:32 pm

ga_goosh

Porterfield pads. Pads are wearing evenly. I Tired Pepboys semi-metalic pads and it sounds even worse when i tet fitted them.

Jeonsah

When i was replacing the pads and rotrs the piston seem fine. no sticky or anything. But the slider were kinda sticky but i lub those up and should be fine. but ill re-do them again. The groaning sound goes away at first when i replace the parts but eventually it came back but its here and there :\ I replace the driver side piston seal cause i broke it when pushing it back. so i know the driver side caliper should be fine.

Here what it sounds like

Porterfield pads ( its a very slight noise but when the wheel is spinning 60 mph. you will notice a little more. Can't hear it with radio on Haha

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 085712.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 090204.mp4

TEST fitted the pepboys semi-metalic pads

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 090630.mp4

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 091320.mp4

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Postby ga_goosh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

are you getting any wear grooves in your rotors? that could be a normal sound since you are getting the sound with out the caliper on. semi-metalic pads are noisy by nature.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_Chaser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

ga_goosh wrote:are you getting any wear grooves in your rotors? that could be a normal sound since you are getting the sound with out the caliper on. semi-metalic pads are noisy by nature.

Before i cut them they seem fine. Even the person that was cutting the rotors even ask y me I'm cutting them cause they look new still. Yeah that's wat I was thinking too. Maybe I should drive it longer and let the pads and rotors seat in.

Autonerd
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Autonerd » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 am

are you covering the back of the pads in anti-squeal and are all the pad spring-clips present and in good condition? If so, try bedding the pads. That usually quiets them quite a bit along with alot of other benefits. Google "brake bedding procedure"

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:40 pm

Most likely you need to replace the small metal springs that slot into the bracket that holds the pads in place (not sure what the correct name for those parts is.) When those fall out or get deformed, they don't pull the pad away from the rotor when you let off the brake and you end up with strange noises coming from the brakes. I'd imagine you can still order the Toyota parts.

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Postby 86_Chaser » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Autonerd

I dont like covering my pads with anything cause It gets mess. IMO. I have done many brake job before but this is the first and it had to be on my car :\ Pad spring-clips ?? if your referring to hardware (Metal clips where the pad sits) then yeah its all good. I even order some new ones but wont be here till Monday. I look up bedding the pads, pretty much its the break in stage. Which i will do something this week.

gotzoom?

I had two set of old brake hardware ( metal clips). i pick and choose the best one and same thing. i already order new ones so we will see.