oil pressure on dash at the highest?

Autobot1986
Club4AG Regular

oil pressure on dash at the highest?

Postby Autobot1986 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:34 pm

I had my mechanic pressure wash my engine bay and after about an hour starting driving and after driving my car the oil pressure needle went all the way to high. The car idle fine i stop and left the car running and the oil pressure not going down. Any thoughts?

jondee86

Re: oil pressure on dash at the highest?

Postby jondee86 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:38 pm

Check that the slide clip on the end of the sender wire did not fall off the pin
on top of the sender (mushroom shaped thing, front of block on exhaust side).

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Mine does that on freeway too sometimes but when i slow it down it goes down to normal after few mins, yesterday it went up to highest when i parked my car(car still on) wait a few mins nothing change so i turned off my car i checked the sender wire its on position and i pull the intake hose which connect to the valve cover and thumbed on it it doesnt make a lot of pressure and it does make some smoke when i release my finger but just a little bit tho, any ideas?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:51 am

Sender wire short-circuit to ground = gauge pegged on High or open-circuit -disconnected not touching nuthin = gauge bottomed on Low not moving a bit, or just a normal reaction from a 25+ year old oil pressure sending unit, or a sender unit never designed to cope with 1500+PSI of water pressure aimed at it.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:51 pm

allencr wrote:Sender wire short-circuit to ground = gauge pegged on High or open-circuit -disconnected not touching nuthin = gauge bottomed on Low not moving a bit, or just a normal reaction from a 25+ year old oil pressure sending unit, or a sender unit never designed to cope with 1500+PSI of water pressure aimed at it.

I'm running 5w40 motul now maybe too tick? Gonna change it to 5w30 and see, would you drive it with high oil pressure? will it damage anything like seals gasket..?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:54 pm

RLZ wrote: I'm running 5w40 motul now maybe too tick? Gonna change it to 5w30 and see, would you drive it with high oil pressure? will it damage anything like seals gasket..?

NO, WHY would you think that it is an oil brand and/or oil grade problem rather then the gauge itself giving a false reading???????
Sure, drive it, the chances of the gauge being correct are really very close to zero. Fix the gauge or replace it with a idiot light.
No, there are no seals gasket that can be damaged except the oil filter's, and then it's not the seals gasket oil filter, it's the entire engine being destroyed if it runs without lubrication.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:30 pm

allencr wrote:
RLZ wrote: I'm running 5w40 motul now maybe too tick? Gonna change it to 5w30 and see, would you drive it with high oil pressure? will it damage anything like seals gasket..?

NO, WHY would you think that it is an oil brand and/or oil grade problem rather then the gauge itself giving a false reading???????
Sure, drive it, the chances of the gauge being correct are really very close to zero. Fix the gauge or replace it with a idiot light.
No, there are no seals gasket that can be damaged except the oil filter's, and then it's not the seals gasket oil filter, it's the entire engine being destroyed if it runs without lubrication.

just give it a try haha~how do you check if it's the gauge? because when the car is cold the pressure is normal when it's complete warm up the pressure just go all the way up, used to it will come back down to normal in a few mins of driving but 2 days ago I removed the ac and power steering system the pressure would not turn back to normal range it's stay in the highest side when i park the car cool down a little bit it's normal again but just go up again when i drive it in few mins :?