Automatic ae86

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Automatic ae86

Postby Coroller84 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:35 pm

I had an 1984 corolla that was kicked down to me from my dad...but its auto -__- none the less im not complaining. it doesnt diminish the fact that its an ae-86.

but my question is, if i were to ever swap it to a 5 speed, how much cash would i be dumping?

thanks

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Re: Automatic ae86

Postby Zenki85 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:29 pm

It sounds to me you have a sr5 cause iirc gts corollas never came in auto.
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:26 pm

Zenki85 wrote:It sounds to me you have a sr5 cause iirc gts corollas never came in auto.

yeah, thats the one. and its carbed, not fuel injected

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Coroller84 wrote:I had an 1984 corolla that was kicked down to me from my dad...but its auto -__- none the less im not complaining. it doesnt diminish the fact that its an ae-86.

but my question is, if i were to ever swap it to a 5 speed, how much cash would i be dumping?

thanks

Keeping a corolla in the family is always a good thing. Hell our gts got recycled in my family several different times!

Cost for a sr5 5spd swap? It depends.. I would price out a new clutch kit,clutch slave/master cylinder & trans gear oil first at rock auto or napa in you area.price does goes up from there for performance clutches.

Next id go source & price a used 5spd trans(also flywheel,pedals,hard lines) locally..if you find a whole 5spd car,even better! It will already have everything you need.

You'll get a close # in relation to cost to do the swap, minus labor
________________________________________________________________________________
Speed doesn't kill, its the sudden stop.
Toy House Automotive & Engineering
87 GTS Coupe
85 Toyota Truck V-8 Matching Trailer
72 Blown 6-71 Pro Street Vega

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:46 pm

Manual Pedal Assembmly - $50 to $100
Clutch Cylinder - $80 to $120
Clutch Hard Line - $25 to $50
OEM Clutch - $100 to $140
5-Speed T50 Transmission - $100 to $300
Clutch Slave - $10 to $60

Total: $365 - $770

That should be just about everything you would need. Im not sure about the driveshaft length on automatic SR5's, so that may be an issue. Other than that, the swap is pretty easy. You can source most of the parts from RockAuto or Toyota. If you find a donar/junk yard car, you will get the factory bent hardline. Try searching your local junkyards/craigslist ads for people selling AE86 parts. Since your car is also an SR5, try to get these pieces from another manual SR5.

Important! SR5 transmissions comes with different bellhousings. Therefore the clutch slave is on the opposite side and the factory hardline is shorter than a GTS one. However, the transmissions are the same.

Vic

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

would i be able to use the same wiring? or is that depending weather or not i get rid of the carb and switch to fuel injection?

thanks for the feed back btw.

:)

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Yes there is all that too. But it also seems like you want the fuel injected and also want a GTS corolla.

Yes you can source all that out. Or you can save on a the mean time or if you have the money. Buy a 4ag 16v with tranny pretty much a plug and play. But that means you would have to convert the rest of the car as well switching out the sr5 parts
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:09 pm

Plug connections may differ. Automatics have a safety neutral sw circuit. But it can be easily bypassed by locating those two wires & connecting them together so you can start the car. Same goes for the reverse light sw. If you could, try to acquire the plugs (harness side) from the donor 5spd car. It will make connections a whole lot easier in future clutch jos! If that's not possible, male/female spade connectors will work just as good.

Mike
________________________________________________________________________________
87 GTS Coupe

KonaTrueno723
Club4AG Expert

Postby KonaTrueno723 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:20 pm

Fuel injection? Then I would take zenki85's advice & save up for a 4age swap if that's the case...
87 GTS Coupe

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:23 pm

A manual SR5 transmission will have two electrical connections. It will have a connector at the top of the transmission for the reverse lights and a connector on the top of the clutch pedal. This connector makes sure you have the clutch pedal depressed when you start the car. Your automatic SR5 should have a similar connector on the transmission that is also related to the reverse lights. Then your car should also have some kind of switch either located at the pedal or the actual gear selector (where your hand goes to put the car into Drive). I would check those two connections. Normally if there is a switch at the pedal, you can jump it with a wire and it will always work then. As far as the gear selector, I am unsure.

Your best bet would be to take the plastic bezel around the gear changer off. Look for any electrical connections. You'd probably be fine just unplugging those connections when you do the swap. When you do the swap, make sure you invest in new parts ( clutch slave and clutch cylinder).

I would not just save up for a 4AGE swap.

Swapping in just a 4AGE engine is not a good way to go. If you want to do the car right, save up for a junk GTS donor car. Then swap everything over. You want everything from the car. A GTS donor car will contain: engine, harnesses, differential, fuel lines, gas tank, etc. All of these pieces are required to have a clean reliable GTS swap. Only swapping in the engine is the cheap way to do it. You can get an old rusty GTS if you search for them for around $1000 - $2500. One thing that is looked over in the Corolla community every time is that everything on the car has to be rebuilt or replaced. These cars are approaching 30 years old now. Swapping used 30 year old parts is not how its done.

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks,it looks like I'm better off keeping it carbed. N probably just save some money to buy an already 5spd gts

Jacare
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jacare » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:39 pm

Coroller84 wrote:Thanks,it looks like I'm better off keeping it carbed. N probably just save some money to buy an already 5spd gts

smart move.
thats what i did, since an sr5+conversion part prices > GT-s money wise

but that was just my situation here in california, others resaults may vary

Tora
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Tora » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:56 am

Don't rule out the possibility of making back a chunk of change on that automatic A42DL transmission, either. I remember a thread or two from the long-long-ago by people wanting to swap their T50 for an automatic. Many a time in stop-and-go traffic, I've wished for such a thing... briefly.

Coroller84
Club4AG Regular

Postby Coroller84 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:06 am

Tora wrote:Don't rule out the possibility of making back a chunk of change on that automatic A42DL transmission, either. I remember a thread or two from the long-long-ago by people wanting to swap their T50 for an automatic. Many a time in stop-and-go traffic, I've wished for such a thing... briefly.

thanks, when all of this hopefully comes through, ill maybe throw it out there