20v rods with turbo?

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

20v rods with turbo?

Postby daveskatesallday » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 pm

so picked up a rebuilt 20v bottom end from a friend, currently running a gze turbo setup but having lots of blowby so wanted a spare motor to drop in, pull mine and diagnose it. I know the wrist pins are the same on the 20v rods as the gze ones. Was going to get new pistons, put them on the 20v rods and put the engine back together. My question is will the 20v rods hold up? I was a bit skeptical about it and a lot of people worry about the 20v rods being to thin but has anyone here personally ever gone turbo with those rods without having issues?
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: 20v rods with turbo?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:10 pm

First off you should read the first chapter of Maximum Boost where he explains how and why boost does not have a significant impact on stress on rods. This is because the most stressful force on rods is generally tensile.
Second, you should specify ST or BT. The ST/late SP rods are considered to be as strong as the late LP early SP rods.
The BT rods are considered to be a little weaker but this shouldn't be an issue unless you plan on spinning it over 8500 RPM for extended periods or plan on pushing the boost to extreme levels.

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:54 am

If you have blacktop rods and decide to sell them, let me know. I'll take them off your hands.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:05 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:First off you should read the first chapter of Maximum Boost where he explains how and why boost does not have a significant impact on stress on rods. This is because the most stressful force on rods is generally tensile.
Second, you should specify ST or BT. The ST/late SP rods are considered to be as strong as the late LP early SP rods.
The BT rods are considered to be a little weaker but this shouldn't be an issue unless you plan on spinning it over 8500 RPM for extended periods or plan on pushing the boost to extreme levels.

hmm never read that before but i'll get on that, also they're ST rods so i guess in that case i should be ok
Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

daveskatesallday
Club4AG Pro

Postby daveskatesallday » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 pm

gotzoom? wrote:If you have blacktop rods and decide to sell them, let me know. I'll take them off your hands.

only have ST rods sorry