AE86 20V Turbo Setup

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

AE86 20V Turbo Setup

Postby EddieNanakase » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:42 pm

I have been trying to find info on what to use on a 20V turbo setup. I managed to get an
air flow meter (AFM) from a 20V, but I'm unsure if I can use it. I bought a Megasquirt N Spark
ECU and even though I told the guy that built the ECU for me, that I was going to use the
AFM, he gave me a Megasquirt ECU that uses a vacuum hose for the MAP sensor. Do I need
to get an AE86 MAP sensor, or does the AFM work, or can I wire the Megasquirt N Spark ECU to
be able to use another MAP from another vehicle. My Megasquirt N Spark ECU kit
came with an air temperature sensor, supposedly AE86 with the AFM setups need it. This is
what confuses me more. Is there anyone that's using the Megasquirt N Spark ECU's ? Not sure
if I should use an AFM because I've read comments that it restricts air flow too much, other
people say it's fine. I want to tune the turbo setup for at least 250hp.

ga_goosh
Club4AG Pro

Re: AE86 20V Turbo Setup

Postby ga_goosh » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 am

go with map. you wont need the afm if you run map. megasquirt has a built in map sensor so i would go with that over the afm.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Im pretty sure you could use the AFM setup. You will probably have to wire it a certain way to be compatable. Your AFM meter needs to be in the correct range of maximum air being pulled in by the engine. If your AFM flap is open all the way and your not at your redline, that means you need a different setup. AFM are easier for the ecu to number crunch. Map sensors are nice but you will need to hook up the IAT. I believe these wires are incorporated into the AFM plug. So you can just rewire it from there. Map sensors are nice because they get rid of the bulkiness of the AFM, however they take more calculations within the ecu. Either method would work, but as ga_goosh said, I would go with the MAP sensor setup.

EddieNanakase
Club4AG Regular

Postby EddieNanakase » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:16 pm

Thank you ga_goosh and Jeonsah, I was going through some information on the internet and I was going to mainly research
the info on club4ag, but since the site went down, I really thought I was running out of resources. You're right Jeonsah, I
could rewire the AFM, but now that I'm reading more about this, it's going to become a lot more difficult to modify and make
the AFM work with this setup. Since I have a Megasquirt ECU, I would be stupid not to take advantage of the standalone system.
What confused me, was this article that fits perfectly my situation
http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... rt_122.htm The guy mentions that he is using a
MAP and eliminated the AFM, but in one of the mini pics, he illustrates the use of the AFM in his car, so that completely
confused me. The key word here, from what ga_goosh said is "built in map sensor". He's right, I went through my old emails
and I found an email where the guy that sold me the Megasquirt ECU told me that I had to run a vacuum line for the MAP to work,
from the Megasquirt ECU to anywhere in the intake. Thank you both for responding and for your help!