LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Jan Pedersen
Club4AG Regular

LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Postby Jan Pedersen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:52 am

My diff started making a lot of noise 500 km ago. Once disassembled it wasn't hard to figure out why as the side gears had digged 5 mm into the lsd case. The problem is that I cannot figure out why it happened. All clutch plates are still in good condition and it doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas?

If anybody knows where to get a 1.5 way aftermarked lsd at a reasonal Price please let me know!

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Postby allencr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 am

Sorry.
Please post pics of the aluminum 1000$ spider pinion thingy that broke.
IIRC S. Weir wrote that the OEM part would rarely break apart if it was shimmed & didn't have so much spider gear play.
It's not a 1.5 type.
Thanks.

Jan Pedersen
Club4AG Regular

Postby Jan Pedersen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Nothing broke! Only thing found is some wear on the edge of the gears due to the side gears where off on both sides.

I am looking for an aftermarket 1.5 way lsd! And the stock is locking up in both acceleration and deceleration and I am pretty sure it's a 1.5 type...

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:03 pm

There must be shim/s and a thrust washer that were eaten away besides the housing from lots of single wheel spin, so a homemade spacer & shim to take up the space, refinish/replace the spider gear & new thrust washer could get it on the road again. Until 1 wheel spins madly, they barely turn if at all, so it doesn't need a finely machined finish to work well, just not as long.
The 1.5 types have to have something that will vary the clutch pressure between drive & coast, like that little ramp the spider's pinion rides on in a Kaaz stuff. If yours is symmetrical, not the 2 different sides of the aluminum thingy, but in the amount of spring pressure that pushes on the clutch packs whether the load is being driven or during deceleration/coasting, then it's got to be a 2-way if there's nothing to vary the clutch action.