LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Jan Pedersen
Club4AG Regular

LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Postby Jan Pedersen » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:52 am

My diff started making a lot of noise 500 km ago. Once disassembled it wasn't hard to figure out why as the side gears had digged 5 mm into the lsd case. The problem is that I cannot figure out why it happened. All clutch plates are still in good condition and it doesn't make sense to me. Any ideas?

If anybody knows where to get a 1.5 way aftermarked lsd at a reasonal Price please let me know!

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: LSD failure - but not as you might expect...

Postby allencr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 am

Sorry.
Please post pics of the aluminum 1000$ spider pinion thingy that broke.
IIRC S. Weir wrote that the OEM part would rarely break apart if it was shimmed & didn't have so much spider gear play.
It's not a 1.5 type.
Thanks.

Jan Pedersen
Club4AG Regular

Postby Jan Pedersen » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Nothing broke! Only thing found is some wear on the edge of the gears due to the side gears where off on both sides.

I am looking for an aftermarket 1.5 way lsd! And the stock is locking up in both acceleration and deceleration and I am pretty sure it's a 1.5 type...

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Postby allencr » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:03 pm

There must be shim/s and a thrust washer that were eaten away besides the housing from lots of single wheel spin, so a homemade spacer & shim to take up the space, refinish/replace the spider gear & new thrust washer could get it on the road again. Until 1 wheel spins madly, they barely turn if at all, so it doesn't need a finely machined finish to work well, just not as long.
The 1.5 types have to have something that will vary the clutch pressure between drive & coast, like that little ramp the spider's pinion rides on in a Kaaz stuff. If yours is symmetrical, not the 2 different sides of the aluminum thingy, but in the amount of spring pressure that pushes on the clutch packs whether the load is being driven or during deceleration/coasting, then it's got to be a 2-way if there's nothing to vary the clutch action.

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”