Suspension help for a Noob

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Suspension help for a Noob

Postby marley4us » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Hi, I wanted to ask about some suspension specific questions. I saw a thread on this once, but could not refind it.

I have a AE86, that I want to predominantly take out to drift tracks, but still be "able to drive on the street" As it will have to drive to the track events etc. I am looking for what people have for there specific drift setup (toe, camber, caster etc) So when I go to my alignment shop I have an idea what I want specifically.

I have K-sport coilovers, Megan tension rods, T3 power steering knuckles, T3 outer tie rods, 50mm RCA (since I have a motor swap) DIY panhard bar.

Thanks you club4age, and Suspension Gurus :D
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

knockoutcold
Club4AG Regular

Re: Suspension help for a Noob

Postby knockoutcold » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:59 pm

everyone is different, what works for some might not work for others. I have 0 caster, 0 toe, and -2 camber in the front, which works fine for me. messing with the geometry of any vehicle is usually a trail and error for most since you want to get something that feels good to you. ive heard of people with FWD cars eliminating the front roll bar for more over steer, since FWD cant turn like RWD.
a bimmer driver once told me that my 4ag looked like a loaf of bread.

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:55 pm

like knockout said, 2 degrees neg camber is relatively conservative for street and track. I believe stock coaster is around 1 degree so check that. if you aggressive 1.5 degree toe out is also an option but will pact tire wear.

from my track experience don't do anything. first track it as is. don't just change things just because. you need to understand what the changes do so if you already have a stock alignment since it appears you've already done some suspension work I would say leave it. Get some experience and them tweak it - that way you'll know and understand the effects better.

secondly, have you replaced your bushings? if not you should consider that before doing anything. prothane is good. I personally replaced all and worth every bit of it.

-Aaron

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Thank you both for the quick responses.

Yes I have Prothane bushing all over. I have not had an alignment yet after all the suspension so I wanted opinions since it will be the first time the car has really seen a good road, or track day. I Had a very nice ae86 before but the PO set up the suspension and it was spot on! I wish I could find a old paper with the alignment etc but I think i sold it all when I sold that car.
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:49 am

From my experience, you kind of have to pick street or track setup. What is good on the street doesn't work that well on track and vice versa. You really need more than 4 deg of camber up front if you want to get the most out of the tires and make the car turn, but that makes the car a handful on the road. It will want to follow every crack and it will feel very darty, even with small steering movements that come from your hand turning the wheel when the car goes over a bump. You could probably ask your alignment tech to make a mark on the camber plates for 2 deg and whatever you run on track. That would allow you to fairly easily change setting.