ASAP! In dire need of your guys input. Help!

jayb33c33

ASAP! In dire need of your guys input. Help!

Postby jayb33c33 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:01 pm

So, I bought an 1986 Corolla SR5. It had A/C, but the guy I bought it off said it wasn't working.

I took it too a shop that did work on my moms car. I told them if they could fix the A/C go ahead and do it, but if they couldn't i.e. the A/C compressor/condenser wasn't working to just go ahead and not bother. They also said they had to convert the a/c system to R134. They quoted me $100+ for the A/C repair.

So, I call them before they close and they tell me they almost got it working, but they need to do a diagnostic test which would cost me an extra $200. I was hesitant because if it wasn't fixable to not even bother because I didn't want to waste my money on it. They told me if they couldn't fix it, they wouldn't charge me for the diagnostic charge. I said to go ahead and do it. They tell me that it would be done tomorrow.

They call me up and tell me my car is good to go and that the A/C was working. I come to pick up my car and they show me the A/C is blowing cold air. The total cost was about $300+ to fix the A/C.

The A/C worked until about a week and then started blowing out hot air instead of cold air. So, I brought the car back to them and they tell me they would take a look at it.

They then call me back before they close and tell me that there was a leak in the system and all the free-on leaked out. They told me they would need to order new o-rings and a hose to fix the leak. They quoted me $308 over the phone. I asked them if this would fix the A/C and they said yes. I then think to myself, I'm already committed into this A/C might as well. (I know I should be just putting money towards a new engine instead of A/C for an SR5, but I want to have A/C in my car when I start school and I don't want to be sweating all the time on my commute to school.) So I tell them to go ahead and order the parts. They tell me the car would be good to go before lunch time the next day.

So, the afternoon passes by and still no call. I think maybe they're still working on it. It then passes till an hour before they close. I decide to go on my daily run and then head to shop after my run in person. I get there and he tells me he was out and just got back and didn't have time to call me back. He tells me that the A/C compressor has a leak and that they would need to order a new one. They said it would cost $400 for the compressor not including labor. So, now I'm looking at $700+ not including the labor for the compressor install. I tell them I had to think about it and call him tomorrow.

I run back home then look at their website and see that they were closed on Saturday. I quickly call them up, and luckily they were still there. I told them if I could pick up my car since they were closed, but he said they're open on Saturdays for Oil changes and what not. I tell him that I didn't want him to order the compressor and for me just to get my car back because the charges are starting to add up. I ask him if I have to pay the $308 for the new hose and O-rings and he said yes. I'm thinking to myself "what the hell, I have to pay for something that you said would fix my A/C but didn't." He then tells me to come in tomorrow to work something out.

So, what should I do guys? What can I do? How did they not catch the leak on the diagnostic? Is this guy just trying to milk money out of me?

Please help you guys, I need your input ASAP because I'll be headed back to the shop tomorrow morning.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: ASAP! In dire need of your guys input. Help!

Postby Grant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:57 pm

A shop is supposed to flush out the A/C system, pressure test the system, and make sure there are no leaks before they even charge the system... even if all those parts are leaking a good shop would have found all the leaks the first time around.
I guess there's not a whole lot you can do now, but next time if you're unsure definitely take it to another shop to get a second opinion.

jayb33c33

Postby jayb33c33 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Would I still have to pay the $308 for replacing the o-rings and hose? The fact that I only authorized that service because he told me that would fix the problem.

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:13 pm

If you signed a piece of paper you're SOL. But..., you can still take it to court if you have documented proof and another certified technician to testify about their lack of proper diagnostics and procedures.

jayb33c33

Postby jayb33c33 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:08 pm

I signed a piece of paper to look at it which was for 0.00. The mechanic lied to me though telling me that all I needed to do was get the o-rings and hose changed out and the A/C would be working fine. Then he tells me the compressor needs to replaced as well which in fact confirms the lie. So doesn't that mean I technically don't have to pay for the work that got done since he lied saying all I would have to pay was $308 and then the job would be done. He keeps adding on and charging me for parts and labor after he promises that the service before that would fix the problem.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:10 am

jayb33c33 wrote:I signed a piece of paper to look at it which was for 0.00. The mechanic lied to me though telling me that all I needed to do was get the o-rings and hose changed out and the A/C would be working fine. Then he tells me the compressor needs to replaced as well which in fact confirms the lie. So doesn't that mean I technically don't have to pay for the work that got done since he lied saying all I would have to pay was $308 and then the job would be done. He keeps adding on and charging me for parts and labor after he promises that the service before that would fix the problem.

You cannot prove they are lying. You also cannot prove that they are trying to get money out of you for parts that didn't need to be replaced. This is the wrong angle to take if you pursue this further.
You do however know for a fact that that they did not do their job right. Just like Grant said, they should have pressure tested the system before charging it. They should have inspected the system to make sure to the best of their ability that it was all working and healthy. There is always the chance the compressor could die two days later and if so that is not on them. Leaks in the system, poor inspection and diagnosis, and incomplete repairs should however be on them.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:38 am

ttt AC problem

if you are thinking about an engine swap for your car. why not wait till you do the swap and then get the ac fix? why spend that money now and you properly need to do the same when you put in that new engine...
fight them off the charge and bear with the summer heat then get everything done same time the new swap... i spend well over 500$ trying to get shop to fix my ac system it it still blow warm air during the day light. and blown cooler air at night LOL. yes they run pressure test and vacuum then charge system.. but still suck and yes they say compressor is in good shape... i bet these day to really get a shop to do the job right and make your AC work like how we would like it to.. cost would be upward of 1k$