Replacing control arm bushings

truenoboy
Club4AG Enthusiast

Replacing control arm bushings

Postby truenoboy » Wed May 21, 2014 7:21 am

So I got prothane bushings for my control arms only to notice they don't fit. Come to find out, it appears there was a metal piece with the old bushing that I needed to reuse, which unfortunately was thrown out. My question is, where can I find that piece? Will factory replacement bushings come with it?

Kando
Club4AG Regular

Re: Replacing control arm bushings

Postby Kando » Fri May 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Any replacement urethane bushing set should come with replacement center bolts tubes. The ones from the original bushings are not made to be removed from those bushings. Additionally, oem bushings are generally not sold individually, and only come as part of new oem control arms.

ZINCHOTRAN
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ZINCHOTRAN » Fri May 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Moog carries them.

4bangerpower

Postby 4bangerpower » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Im sure you could get ahold of prothane and purchase the piece you need, though it should have came with the bushing kit. Mine did at least.

aaronlee133
Club4AG Expert

Postby aaronlee133 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:02 am

Having replaced my control arm bushings with prothane - if you're referring to the metal sleeve outside of the bushing then you'll need to find new control arms. As someone stated earlier, the prothane kit comes with the inner sleeve but the front control arms (if my memory serves me correct) are a little deceiving since the outside metal sleeve looks like it needs to get pressed out as well. You actually need to leave it as it. If that's been damaged in some way, I don't believe you'll be able to find a replacement just for that and the after market bushing kits arent going to have that piece...

E-mail me @ aaronlee133@hotmail.com. I've actually took pics while I pressed them out and I can confirm with you over email whether we're talking about the same thing here.

-Aaron