Need help with A/C wiring.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Need help with A/C wiring.

Postby Grant » Sat May 17, 2014 11:01 am

Hello everyone,

I have all the lines and other parts for my A/C system, but I want to make sure the wiring is correct first before I install everything in the car.

When I have the car idling and I press the "AC" button, the button lights up, but there is no increase in idle speed. I went looking for the two relays that might cause the issue, and I couldn't find them. The "Electrical idle-up cut relay" and the "Magnet clutch relay" should be right behind the glove box according to the wiring manual, but I cannot seem to find them. I tested both idle-up solenoids and they work properly when powered.

Could someone with A/C take a picture or something showing the wiring behind the glove box? I don't know how accurate the wiring diagram actually is, and I am afraid I have mixed wiring harnesses...

Here are some pictures (if you click on them they enlarge):

The unplugged plug I am pointing to ONLY appears in the wiring diagram for the 4A-C as plug "J"

Here are the related wiring diagrams:
Harness plug diagram
Wiring diagram for 4A-C/4A-GE without P/S
Wiring diagram for 4A-GE with P/S

I think I am trying to merge part of a 4A-C harness without P/S with a 4A-GE harness with P/S... that would explain the two missing relays and the plug that has no where to go.
Am I on the right track here? I really appreciate anyone having the patience to read through this. :) Any pictures or help are also greatly appreciated. ;)

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: Need help with A/C wiring.

Postby Grant » Sun May 18, 2014 9:14 am

I've made another discovery that seems to be a good one. In the harness plug diagram each version has a plug "I" (that's a capital "I" not an "L"). However the 4A-GE harness has two wires in spots 3,8 while the 4A-C harness only has one wire in spot 8. I checked my harness again and it seems I have the 4A-GE "I" plug female plug connected to the male 4A-C "I" plug. This means that the under dash harness is 4A-GE, but the A/C harness is 4A-C.

I think this means I ONLY need the A/C harness from a 4A-GE (and the two missing relays of course)... which is just the bit of wires I'm holding in the picture below.

Can someone confirm that I am correct here? A picture of a 4A-GE A/C amplifier harness would really help...

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue May 20, 2014 5:26 am

Well I managed to find a picture of what I think I need...

The A/C isn't connected here but I believe I need that relay box on the top right with the big yellow plug going to it, and the bit of wiring going between the parts of the A/C system.

negrizio
Club4AG Regular

Postby negrizio » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:02 pm

Grant,

You lots of missing parts...
1) Evap box
2) A/C computer(which is attach at the right side of the Evap box). It plugs with that Green con at the center of your pic
3) Both relays you mention (these are also attached to the evap box)

The previous owner made a A/C delete on your car.
I'll take some pics and post them for you later this week.

Disable adblock

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:30 pm

negrizio wrote:Grant,

You lots of missing parts...
1) Evap box
2) A/C computer(which is attach at the right side of the Evap box). It plugs with that Green con at the center of your pic
3) Both relays you mention (these are also attached to the evap box)

The previous owner made a A/C delete on your car.
I'll take some pics and post them for you later this week.

The picture directly above your post is not my car (sorry it's confusing). The pictures in the first post are of my car. I managed to get the A/C harness with the two relays, and the different A/C amplifier board. I'll report back when I get the lines connected in the engine bay and do a test. ;)

I would still appreciate pictures, so if you have time then post them. :D

Disable adblock

Return to “TECH: Corolla AE86”