4AGE Not Running Right

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

4AGE Not Running Right

Postby ahaav » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:18 pm

When warm, my AE86 idles around 800/900rpm, but it is not a steady purr. Instead it makes a low "buhbuhbuh" sound. Almost sounds as if it is cammed.

My car also jerks around a lot when I drive it, especially on highway speeds. Around 3000rpm+, the motor will cut out without warning and not let me rev any higher (cutting fuel I'm assuming).

I've adjusted the TPS as best as I can, and replaced spark plugs. Are these symptoms of a vacuum leak? I am thinking about blocking off the IACV altogether to get rid of all the extra hoses around there as well.

Thoughts?

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4AGE Not Running Right

Postby allencr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:52 pm

What's the compression?
What happens when individual cylinders are disabled, by pulling the plug or injector wire?

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:28 am

Compression test? I don't know much about compression but what should I go about doing to check that out?

What am I looking for if I disable a cylinder one at a time?

Thanks.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:03 pm

What do you mean adjusted the TPS best you could? Either you adjust it right or you wasted time.

You can buy a compression tester kit online or at auto parts stores. Some autoparts stores rent or loan them out. If you aren't familiar with the process I'm sure googling compression test will get you more than enough info.

If you disable one cyl at a time and the idle drops the same amount on each cyl that is a good sign and means your issue is not cylinder specific.
If the idle drops less or not at all on one cylinder that means there is something wrong with that cyl like not getting fuel, spark or compression.

Have you checked ignition timing?
Cam/crank timing?
When were the spark plug wires, cap, rotor, air filter and fuel filter were changed?

Did you buy the car like this?
Has it always done this?
Did it just start doing it?

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:02 pm

When I first bought the car it seemed to be running fine and would idle around 1000/1100. I used a YouTube video to adjust the TPS, which entails using a feeler blade between the throttle stopper bolt and throttle valve mechanism, and twisting the TPS clockwise till it reaches the desired resistance reading on multimeter.

Spark plugs were changed yesterday. Wiring and distributor are relatively new. No idea how timing works on this engine. When I did timing on my VG30, I just made sure the belt marks were aligned with all the cams and crank gears.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:32 am

what condition were you car running in when you first buy the car?. running nicely ? but just idling at 1.1k rpm? and rise from 1k to 1.1k? then you decided to adjust the tps? then it get worst? then that your problem there....the tps position incorrectly...

i don't think your idling at 1k rpm to 1.1m rpm have any thing to do with the tps...
put the fps back to the position it was at before you adjust it.. if your tps is position at a bad angle you would never be able to start up easily.... or not at all..
u didn't take your time to snap a picture of the tps position before you move it did you?..... find your self a buddy who can help u crank while u try turning the tps slowly to find the spot where your engine would be able to start...

i just have this a similar issue with my car.. not starting and one of the many issue is the tps.. and spark plug.. check your spark plug.. did you install the correct plug for your engine? look at the spec of the plug.....find a FSM it will help...you find the correct plug...

note i too try to set the tps tone as close to FSM and i have a very hard time starting my car up..... i guess you can try just turn the tps a little at a time and try to start up. if it doesn't start turn it a bit more... i guess...

Am i not an experience mechanic or a expert so don't believe me lol

jrae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jrae82 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:39 am

Sounds like a fuel filter problem. I had the same problem and I replace the fuel filter. It went back to normal. If ur still running a 20+ yr old fuel filter replace it now!!! Also check your ignition coil, wires, cap and rotor. Might need a nice little tune up as well.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:57 pm

I'll check out the fuel filter next. No idea how old it is lol.

I drove the car for a bit today. It has been sitting for 24+ hours and ran fine. No jerking. However it always has a bit of trouble starting when cold. Doesn't turn over right away.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:19 pm

If the hard starting issue happen after you adjust your tps then you should be paying attention to that instead of digging into other things. Because while you start to remove other part again and you may mess more thing up... Just saying...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:58 pm

ahaav wrote:When I first bought the car it seemed to be running fine and would idle around 1000/1100. I used a YouTube video to adjust the TPS, which entails using a feeler blade between the throttle stopper bolt and throttle valve mechanism, and twisting the TPS clockwise till it reaches the desired resistance reading on multimeter.

The exact reading isn't terribly important as long as it's relatively close to spec. You are adjusting it off of the idle circuit which is an on off switch. You want to make sure it triggers on (continuity) with the thinnest recommended feeler gauge and off (no continuity or infinity) with the thickest recommended feeler gauge.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm

It was still hard starting before I touched anything. Only when starting it for the first time that day or something. I used .48mm feeler gauge.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:50 pm

ahaav wrote:It was still hard starting before I touched anything. Only when starting it for the first time that day or something. I used .48mm feeler gauge.

Ugh, okay I'll open up my BGB.

Clearance between Lever and stop screw Between terminals Resistance
0 mm (0 in.) VTA - E2 0.2- 0.8 kll
0.35 mm (0.0138 in.) IDL - E2 2.3 kll or less
0.59 mm (0.0232 in.l IDL - Ez Infinity
Throttle valve fully VTA - Ez 3.3- 10 kll opened position
- Vee - Ez 3- 7 kll

You will want to do all the tests to make sure it's healthy.

For adjusting it you use two different feeler gauges as go no go gauges.

With the .35mm gauge you should get continuity.
With the .59 mm gauge you should not get continuity.
If yes then it passes.
If no then it needs to be adjusted.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Thank you for opening your BGB!

I am going to replace the screws with hex bolts on TPS since they are in bad shape, and will adjust it then.

I hooked up a new intake today and capped the idle system. So if I'm correctly aware, the car will hunt for idle until at operating temperature right? (with IACV deleted)

It ran pretty good. I have yet to take it on the highway.

In the mean time, I also need a better intake hose, because the one I am using barely lets the filter clear the body. Can someone recommend a good silicone hose or something to connect the MAF to, and then the filter? I am using a cheap hose atm. And it doesn't need the idle air nipple since it is deleted as of now. Will a 2.25" inner diameter work?

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:29 pm

Drove it tonight and it ran like **** again. Jerking around everywhere, even at slow speeds. It's super frustrating. I guess the next step would be to check compression. T_T

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 pm

was it running like **** when you just buy the car?....

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:07 am

Not really. It only used to occasionally jerk on the highway.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:29 am

It's far from time to get frustrated.
It is time to take a slow methodical approach to diagnosing this.
First step is to confirm the TPS is properly adjusted. This is the most common cause for part throttle bucking.
One of the most next common is AFM so next I would test the AFM per the FSM. Also make sure the hose going from the AFM to the TB doesn't have an leaks, cracks or bad seals that could intermittently cause leaks.

After that it's time to go through the troubleshooting and diagnostics sections of the FSM. Some people find this overwhelming or something but it really is about the most efficient way you can troubleshoot issues like this. It will require being comfortable with the book and a multimeter.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 am

Thank you for putting things into perspective for me. New intake hose and such will be coming in the mail by the end of the week, so I will begin troubleshooting then. And let you guys know what happens.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:25 pm

Hooked up IACV again. No apparent vacuum leaks. Now warm idles at 900rpm warm. Whenever I do wide-open throttle in any gear though, the engine stops pulling around 4000rpm. Why is this still happening ugh.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Sounds like it is running out of fuel.... filter or pump maybe ?
Put your foor down and it hits X rpm then stops pulling, but if
you lift your foot it comes back to life ? Fuel cuts earlier in the
high gears than it does in the low gears ?

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

ahaav
Club4AG Regular

Postby ahaav » Thu May 01, 2014 12:27 am

I believe it's a failing pump. Cutting out at rpms under load points to this. I will be toying with the fuel sender unit since that it broken as well, and I will probably be messing with the pump as well.

aukword1
Club4AG Expert

Postby aukword1 » Tue May 06, 2014 6:08 pm

sounds like its misfiring...maybe a blown ignition wire or bad spark plug

Uriel691
Club4AG Regular

Postby Uriel691 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:56 am

So, have you changed the fuel filter yet?