Techo toy tuning short throw

PovertyDrifter
Club4AG Regular

Techo toy tuning short throw

Postby PovertyDrifter » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Hey guys, this is my first forum post. Looking to see if there is any issues with the techno toy tuning complete bolt in short throw shifter? I have heard issues over the years with other brands that are not complete and ready to bolt in.

Sportmax
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Techo toy tuning short throw

Postby Sportmax » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:09 pm

I have one in both my 86s and they work great. Just need a gasket or sealant but it comes with Everything including bolts to install it.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:47 pm

This is a highly debatable subject but myself, and many Japanese AE86 drivers I know are strongly against short throw shifters and the T50 mission. The STS(short throw shifter) increases the amount of leverage and quickens the shift(internally) just as much as it does externally, to the point that the OEM syncro's cannot function quick enough. When using a STS you must intentionally slow down your shifting(which is pretty difficult if your drifting or road racing as your heart is pumping and you want to shift as fast as possible). After I was enlightened to this, I started looking around and a lot of my friends with syncro problems all had STS's. Alot of the transmissions with OEM shifters live long healthy lives if maintaned properly.

I have removed my TRD shifter, and am installing an OEM shifter with the T3 overhaul kit.

All that being said, it is totally personal preference. I know for a fact a STS feels GREAT. The throws are crisp and notchy, and it feels really direct. Its just a trade off of "driving-feel" vs "performance/durability".

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:46 pm

This ^^^^ X 2

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

PovertyDrifter
Club4AG Regular

Postby PovertyDrifter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:40 am

Thanks for all the reply's. So the Short throw can cause issues with syncro's, and you have to shift slower than you would with a factory shifter? I am assuming the issue with the syncro's is caused by grinding gears?

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:10 am

If you can deal with all the crashing and banging this video goes a long way to explain why you don't want to change gear too fast with a synchro 'box.
The T50 uses the older style brass synchro's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXsRfbOiBhE

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:36 pm

PovertyDrifter wrote:Thanks for all the reply's. So the Short throw can cause issues with syncro's, and you have to shift slower than you would with a factory shifter? I am assuming the issue with the syncro's is caused by grinding gears?

Yes, when you try to shift faster (even if you hit it perfectly) our old style syncro's cannot mesh fast enough and you get a grind. Its not really driver ERROR ("grinding gears") but the fact that the design of the transmission cant handle it.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:37 pm

A short throw shifter doesn't mean one can start banging gears with no regard as if it's a Honda. Finesse and timing are still required.

Overall the t3 unit has a different feel compared to stock. Height and throw are only part of the picture. It's more direct because there's no bushing on the shift lever like stock, and overall it feels snappier (stronger center return force) because the spring is stronger than stock. Shifting effort increases slightly like pretty much all short shifters.

I liked the t3 unit, but I prefer the feel of the stock shifter with upgraded bushings.

JyuRoku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby JyuRoku » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:39 am

I mostly hated the buzzing and vibrations of the TRD shifter. Very much overrated.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:01 pm

^Not an apples-to-apples comparison with t3. The TRD unit deletes the factory isolator and rotational cup bushings (the metal casting basically takes their place), while t3 retains the bushings. I didn't notice any increased vibrations over stock with the t3 unit.

yogi59fifty

Postby yogi59fifty » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:05 pm

I bought the extended shaft short throw shifter from T3 it has been one of my favorite mods , IMO it feels way better and really adds to the driving experience, although the syncro issue makes sense and its something to keep in mind, I personally havnt encountered any issues...yet i guess lol. Long story short I recommend it :D

Jimmee1990
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Jimmee1990 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:01 am

I've used the T3 shifter for 3-4 years now of daily driving and lots of mountain runs, and not once have I been able to shift faster than the synchros can keep up with. I would be looking at what grade and brand of gearbox oil you're using, as well as how long your using it for rather than shifting too fast if you're having synchro problems.