AE86 85 GTS COUPE ZENKI ISSUES

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

AE86 85 GTS COUPE ZENKI ISSUES

Postby Swooki » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:23 am

Hi all,
I recently acquired a 85 GTS Coupe and I have some issues with it.

1) Brake light and Battery light is on dash but Alternator is working. I connected the brake lid plug to harness and it still persist. I am not sure what it could be (the car is swapped from an MR2)

2) when I give it throttle, it kind of torques twice like you feel it go and it goes again real quick like a lag. So imagine when you press gas, a normal car will accelerate but mine would accelerate and accelerate again really fast so like a delay (twice) I am not sure what it could be? like instead of "go" it'll be "go - go" then it'll accelerate.

3) Takes a lot of cranks for the car to start. Sometimes, it'll start and die real quick having a hard time grabbing.
I swapped battery already. Once car is started, it works perfectly and if you turn it on again, it'll start right away. It's only cold start that's an issue.

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: AE86 85 GTS COUPE ZENKI ISSUES

Postby davew7 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:59 am

!] You probably have bad ground(s) for those two circuits if, as you say, every thing else has checked out.
2] Try adjusting the TPS per the manual, could also be low fuel pressure. Should be about 38 PSI.
3] Check the cold start injector. Pull it out of the manifold and verify that it is spraying fuel at start up. Hope it's not the cold start sensor $$$.
Dave W

ssspacely
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby ssspacely » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:53 pm

I also have the problem you describe in 3. I'm pretty sure the sensor is my issue. It's been a problem for years but I never fixed it. I don't drive the car much.

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:27 pm

davew7 wrote:!] You probably have bad ground(s) for those two circuits if, as you say, every thing else has checked out.
2] Try adjusting the TPS per the manual, could also be low fuel pressure. Should be about 38 PSI.
3] Check the cold start injector. Pull it out of the manifold and verify that it is spraying fuel at start up. Hope it's not the cold start sensor $$$.
Dave W

1) Where are the grounds for them?

2) Ah, it could be the TPS sure..
as for low fuel pressure, how do i check if it is low?

3) Ah, you mean remove the cold start injector and crank it and see if there is fuel coming out?

Swooki
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Swooki » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:28 pm

ssspacely wrote:I also have the problem you describe in 3. I'm pretty sure the sensor is my issue. It's been a problem for years but I never fixed it. I don't drive the car much.

You just deal with it?
yeah, after officially starting, car starts right up no issues afterwards..