Idle wayyyy to high

skipshift
Club4AG Regular

Idle wayyyy to high

Postby skipshift » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 am

It has done this ever sense I've owned the car which is about 3 months. On a cold start up it will idle around 2500 rpm. Then it will go down to 1500 rpm when operating temp is reached. If I turn the idle screw down to where it idles at 1000rpm it will go dead at stop lights. I have no vacuum leaks I've check it with smoke and found nothing. I also checked it with throttle body cleaner. I really don't know much about a 4AGE so I'm turning to you guys.

86_Chaser
Club4AG Regular

Re: Idle wayyyy to high

Postby 86_Chaser » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Sound like a bad idle air control valve. The valve is located right underneath the throttle body. You can pull it out and put it in hot water and see if the valve close fully. It's easier if you take the whole throttle body out. The screw can be easily strip so use a vise grip to break it loose. When doing it be careful not to lose the small o-ring and mess up the gasket. Good luck.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:24 am

There's a test for the iacv. Let me explain:

FOLLOW THESE STEPS AT YOUR OWN RISK. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND READ THE TOYOTA SERVICE MANUAL. I AM NOT LIABLE IF YOU SCREW YOUR CAR UP.

1. Drive your car and get it to operation temp, at least a good 10+ minute drive since iacv's operate thermostatically by coolant temp.
2. Park car, turn off engine/car, unplug afm wire connector, unclip air box lid, and remove intake tube at the throttle body exposing the inside of the throttle body.
3. Place a piece of tape over the iacv hole inside the throttle body to block it off. It's located in the 4-5 o'clock position iirc.
4. Re-install entire intake setup/afm, etc. by reversing the process in step 2.
5. Now start the car. DON'T DRIVE THE CAR OR REV THE ENGINE, just let it idle. Observe if there is any change in idle speed. Turn off engine/car.
6. Remove the intake setup again to take out the piece of tape that was placed inside the throttle body, then re-install the intake setup/afm, etc. before driving the car.

If the idle speed lowered with the iacv hole blocked off it means something in the iacv system isn't operating correctly.
Last edited by Deuce Cam on Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skipshift
Club4AG Regular

Postby skipshift » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Okay my IAC valve is bad. I guess I'll just block it off and manually idle it. I'm not paying over $100 for a new IAC valve.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:29 pm

I would just post a WTB on here. Im sure you can get one for cheap.

Good Luck!

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 pm

The coolant lines running to/from the iacv could also be clogged causing it not to function properly. You can easily check this by feeling the hoses to make sure they're all hot.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:02 am

just clean it up. take off the IACV, clean the poop out of it. while you're at it clean the throttle body. i havent seen one of the iacvs go bad, but anything is possible.
I had this problem, pretty much took the whole throttle body, intake mani, tvis off and cleaned them all till they looked new. replaced all the vacuum lines, checked and set TPS, cleaned the cold start injector, replaced all the rubbers on the injectors. I also cleaned out the inside of my distributor and reset the timing. Since i had all that stuff off, i checked my valve clearances and found a few out of spec. fixed that too. I no longer have the issue, but I ended up doing a ton of stuff that any single one of them could have contributed.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Anyone in cooler weather have trouble starting their car with the iacv deleted? I deleted it on my old gts and it was little harder to start on cold nights; however, I don't think I ever attempted to start the car below 45*F.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

I decided to test my iacv today since I'm stilling waiting on my injector seals. It turns out my iacv isn't functioning properly. My idle was up to 1500rpm, and after blocking off the iacv hole inside the throttle body my idle dropped to 650rpm. I'm about to order another block off plate.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:24 am

Deuce Cam wrote:I decided to test my iacv today since I'm stilling waiting on my injector seals. It turns out my iacv isn't functioning properly. My idle was up to 1500rpm, and after blocking off the iacv hole inside the throttle body my idle dropped to 650rpm. I'm about to order another block off plate.

just clean it up real good. Seriously a couple cans of brake cleaner will hook it up.
if you just delete it, you are gonna have fun in the morning. gone will be the days of firing her up and idling while she is cold(not just cold outside, but not been running all night, cold) you will have to keep your foot on the gas to warm her up. If its not a daily driver or w/e, then its not a big deal

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:41 am

I had a block off plate before on my old car so I'm aware of the cold start issues. On the old car the iacv itself was fine, but the metal coolant lines under the manifold that run to/from the iacv were gummed up with rust so not enough hot coolant could flow through the iacv (it wouldn't get hot enough to close). It's not always an easy fix.

Turtle
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Turtle » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:05 pm

My solution, perhaps not for everyone, but it fits my needs perfectly:

Thinking Outside of the Box: The IACV You Need In Your Life!

R

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Turtle wrote:My solution, perhaps not for everyone, but it fits my needs perfectly:

Thinking Outside of the Box: The IACV You Need In Your Life!

R