Ae86 cold start issue

Autobot1986
Club4AG Regular

Ae86 cold start issue

Postby Autobot1986 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:20 am

Ever since i replaced the fuel sender on my ae86, on cold start i have to crank the car over 3 times for it to start. If i try to start the car after it warms up, it cranks over no problem. It only an issue whenever the car sits for 6 hours or more when i have issue when i try to start the car. Im not sure if it has to do with the cold start injector?

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: Ae86 cold start issue

Postby davew7 » Tue May 05, 2015 5:09 am

If it is not the temp sensor, you maybe losting fuel line pressure. The fuel pump should have a check valve to prevent drain back. Let the car set for 6 hrs, then have someone turn on the key while you listen near the fuel tank to determine, if it take abnormal amount of time for the pump to prime the system. Could be a small rust flake preventing a good seal at the check valve. Dave

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: Ae86 cold start issue

Postby Grant » Wed May 06, 2015 4:53 pm

I agree with davew7 about the check valve in the fuel pump. The sender and pump are two completely different units though, so changing the fuel level sender should have no effect on the fuel pump at all unless you removed the tank to do it (you shouldn't have to) and messed with the pump.