FABCHILD'S AE86 Coupe Build

FABCHILD

FABCHILD'S AE86 Coupe Build

Postby FABCHILD » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi, My name is Ryan and this is my first post on here. I have a Small Shop In Southern California with my Older Brother. I am a Welder/Fabricator and my brother is a Mechanic/brains of the operation lmao. We do bumper to bumper Auto Repair and Automotive Fabrication. I have had this 1985 Sr5 Corolla for I believe a a year maybe two. I just started tearing into it a few months ago. I'm looking to build just a fun car that I can take out to the track and enjoy. Nothing extremely serious but I plan on doing some awesome fab work because that's what I love to do. I haven't really documented everything step by step to this point but i'll try to add as much pics as I can. This isnt a fast build and probably wont be finished anytime soon but I figured I had enough progress to throw some pics up! Cheers!

When I first bought it from my buddy! $300 bucks and a tow truck later I had it down at the shop!

Started By Stripping The interior and the moved on to the engine bay

Chopped the front aprons and cut the frame rails back

Stitch Welded the Engine bay. At this point I also stripped the complete interior removed all seam sealer and sound deadening and welded it aswell

Went ahead and Shaved the bay then shot a coat of DTM Primer to seal it up

At this point I had got a customer in that is building a CRX Drag Car and was looking to strip the chassis so I built a rotisserie for it. It's such a great tool to have and after that car was done I chucked up the corolla on it to finish the underside of the chassis. To my surprise these cars don't have alot of undercoating and are pretty bare bones from the factory! The crx we did was an 1989 hf and had way more in regards to undercoating than the Ae86!

This is where is sits now! I still have some work to do on the chassis but I'm looking forward to finishing up the cage and shooting a coat of primer on it.

I originally planned on swapping in a SR20 I have but I want to do something different and somewhat unique with this car. I will post some pics when I get to that point but im looking to go Inline 6 Turbo from an offbrand powerplant! Should be fun when it's done.

FABCHILD

Re: FABCHILD'S AE86 Coupe Build

Postby FABCHILD » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:11 pm

Here is some pics of the rotisserie build. I tig welded everything except for the wheels as they have a zinc coating. Super happy with they way it turned out and I plan on upgrading a few things in the future.

Elvin Wes
Club4AG Expert

Postby Elvin Wes » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:59 am

going all out...can't wait to see the finished product.

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:25 pm

I second this. ^^

FABCHILD

Postby FABCHILD » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:29 am

Thanks Guys, I will throw some more pics up when I get some more progress on it. Busy with customers at the moment but cant wait to get the cage in it

SlideSexy
Club4AG Expert

Postby SlideSexy » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Those welds are absolutely gorgeous
ANYONE CAN BUY A NEW CAR. IT TAKES A TRUE ENTHUSIAST
TO BREATHE LIFE INTO AN OLDER ONE.

FABCHILD

Postby FABCHILD » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:42 am

Thanks Man! I love Welding it's my Passion! I have an Associate of Science Degree in Welding Technology and a few AWS Certs for Tig. Busy with customers at the moment so no rolla rolla time :( lol

Made this Mid Mount set-up for a S13 Hatch. Just did the intercooler mounts and piping. All the Other work Is NOT mine! Another shop built the front end :/ lol

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01 am

SlideSexy wrote:Those welds are absolutely gorgeous

They really are.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

FABCHILD

Postby FABCHILD » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:59 pm

Lack of updates! lol I probably wont have anything to add soon. Busy with others car at the moment. Boo lol Got a Honda CRX in that I put on the rotisserie and stripped the whole chassis to save weight. Customer already had a 4pt rollbar but I added to it to make it comply with NHRA rules for 8.50 et and slower. Just need to install the parachute and it's done. Also mounted the radiator for the S13 240sx hatch. Welded in mounts and made some polished brass straps to hold it. I DID NOT do the tube front and the customer is looking to get it redone by us in the future. The work is sub par! Hope nobody minds me sharing my other work in a build thread!

CRX A-pillar bars

All 4130 1.625x0.083 Chromoly

240sx Radiator mounts

Once again did not do the tube front. Just added to it!

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:50 am

DAMNNN yo, fab skills on point bro! thats soo sick, makes me want to build a rotissery!
@_yotaholic