UZA64 Celica

NIXmx
Club4AG Regular

UZA64 Celica

Postby NIXmx » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:36 am

I purchased this car for $360. All it needed was a battery, air in the tires, and gas in the tank. I later found out that the driver side timing chain tensioner was completely missing. :huh: Oh well, not a big deal. New timing components are always good. I set that project aside for the time being and started removing the interior. It was 98% complete, just dirty and faded. After vacuuming and pressure washing the carpets clean, outside of the car mind you ;), the plastic pieces were removed and thoroughly cleaned and prepped for "revitalization". The headliner had a few tears and was sagging in a few places. The actual structure was still in good shape, so I decided to re cover it. I choose black suede for two reasons. First I think it looks good and doesn't attract a lot of attention. Second, I like the way it feels.

The spare tire area had some surface rust. That was sanded, prepped, and sprayed with some gloss red spray paint I had on the shelf. While I was back there going paint trigger happy, I was bothered by the lack of factory paint in the area that houses the jack and tools. That shortly received the same treatment as the spare tire compartment. Both are not perfect, but at least they are red.

A 2003 Sequoia JBL 6 disc in dash radio will be going in, along with 4" fronts and something in the rear.

I put a set of Supras, with goofy looking 185 series tires, on the car. Mainly because the tires are new. They are cool and all, but I don't like the color scheme. On a local drifting forum, a member was selling a set of staggered 3 piece Work Ewing II wheels. Following my rule of not paying more for the wheels than the car they will go on, I ended up paying $320. When I inspected them, I found out they were made in October of 1985. Can't get more era specific than that. Those will be taken apart for a nice cleaning, paint, and polish.

Swapping in a 2UZ-FE from a 2000 Land Cruiser and a R154 from a 1988 Supra Turbo.

The interior when I bought it.

The interior I bought.
ImageImage
Into the storage unit. I moved and don't have a garage anymore.
Cressida front brakes. New wheel studs, rebuilt calipers, and Brembo OE rotors.
A picture from this evening.
This user's signature was removed due to obscenity.
https://www.facebook.com/Toyonerds

alavelle12
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: UZA64 Celica

Postby alavelle12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Looking good man!

Turtle
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Turtle » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:45 pm

Oh my! looks great so far!

R

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:40 pm

Good on you for taking this one on!

This car has a special place in my heart since it was my first car at the age of 16. I brought back a beaten up vehicle to a very nice condition with some performance mods for its time (1990).

Once you are done, be proud. You dont see many clean restored ones at all anymore. Most have been beaten to death and junked.
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)

SidekickChuck
Club4AG Expert

Postby SidekickChuck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:41 pm

Did you happen to get the radio out of the car you bought the interior out of?
Silver/Black 1985 ae86 gts Heavens Gate Corolla
2001 Carbon Black e39 M5
89' Supra Twin Turbo 1JZ (sold)