Surreptitious

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Surreptitious

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:15 am

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=26593 - engine build

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=38283 - car build to 12/30/12

Soooo... please do not post in either of the above links, please post in this one... thank you......

At some point I'll tackle 2012, but for now... I'm slowly getting back on the "horse"....

from another forum wrote:So I've been wondering. How's the 6speed working out?

Well... with the S series 3.58 final drive... in reality... I don't need any gears beyond the first 4 :(

Sooooooo... its finally time to swap in a final drive more appropriate. Here is Richmond Racing's 3.9 T series diff...... (originally for Legends/Dwarf cars) fitted into a GT-S housing.

The Richmond is assembled with zenki spider gears... so zenki axles are the call. The emergency brake cables need a fabricated bracket on the driverside(thank you Jesse), and a zip tie around the axle hop line mount to secure the passenger side cable.

Now... along with the diff, I have to swap in a different brake proportioning valve, because instead of drum brakes... I'm now running rear discs.

Doing some research All AE86 drum brake cars use valve 22040, while the GT-S uses valve 12040. I then look up my car, and low and behold, the valve is the same as a drum brake AE86 - 22040. So even though I have a different master cylinder, AND the proportioning valve is mounted slightly lower, the lines will not have to be customized to fit the GT-S valve! So I remove the drum brake valve, and swap in the GT-S valve. Then I go about bleeding the brakes. At this point brake bleeding can be a REAL pain... because there is no longer any fluid in the master OR the proportioning valve... so I go about palm bleeding. What is palm bleeding??? You fill the master most of the way, and you put your palm over the reservoir and work your hand like you would a toilet plunger.... This slowly pumps the fluid through the master, and the proportioning valve allowing me to circulate the fluid without having to pump the brake pedal, or use a power bleeder.

All new TRD suspension bushings will tighten up the whole rear end keeping the axle properly placed under the back of the car. Many folks don't know but there is a right way... and a wrong way to install TRD suspension bushings....... Care was used to install the bushings correctly.

More to come....... :D
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Turtle
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Surreptitious

Postby Turtle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 am

Huzzah, Surreptitious is back. One of my favorite corolla models.

R

hachigo87
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby hachigo87 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 am

Very nice! Makes me want to save this SR5 a few towns over I've been eying up myself..

'85 GT-S coupe
'85 GT-S coupe - For sale!
'72 Datsun 240Z
'87 Mazda B2000
'02 Silverado Z71

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:54 pm

A bit of an update.... ;)

oldeskewltoy wrote:If you remember my threads on "tuning" to be able to drive around town... well, she no longer needs a special knowledge of her quirks to drive her normally.

There are a few things still needing some adjustment.

1) occasionally she gets hung up on engine decel @ a light. She'll get "stuck" around 1800 rpm or so... funny thing is a tap of the accelerator or two and the idle will come down :confused:

2) idle was purposely set a touch high(about 1200) to try and remove some of the overlap, I'd like it reset around 1000 or so.

3) Cooling fans still draw enough to make the engine stumble and almost stall. I think for the cooling fans, a VSV will need to be installed so that the VSV activates similtaniously with the cooling fans

Over the past 2 years I've driven Surreptitious less than 1500 miles... alot of this was because a certain tuning shop had no idea how to properly set and program the FJO system. Shortly after I swapped in the 6 speed she went back for a "final" adjustment.

LONG STORY short.... once I got it back the last time.... I had to "fix" cam timing, and swap in the earlier tune :cry:

Move ahead 2 years... Surreptitious goes to Loynings, and is tuned on their steady state dyno. She is "tuned" in each rpm band for power. Off to DEQ(emissions testing) and fails.... 1100 HC, 5.0 CO.

I bring her back in, they make a few adjustments, I go back to DEQ... 214 HC, 0.447 CO - She passes :mrgreen:

and no new cat required this time.... :)

Now as far as performance.... She idles...(between 1000 and 1100) she idles and doesn't stall when coming to a stop... she idles with all the installed electrical draws on (lights, wipers, heater fan, 100 watt fog lamps) she even idled with the cooling fan on @ the inspection station without stalling or stumbling while the test was being performed...

This tune is only a few days old... but so far it has inspired some new confidence...

from another forum wrote:
so uhh...after the new tune....whats the power look like :) ?

WOT was never a problem... she always (with one exception) planted great power...

What is odd... I'm only running 2 BTDC degrees of ignition timing... :eek:

OPINION:
They did the reverse of what I thought to be needed..... I figured more timing (not less) would make it want to idle up.... What they did was feed in the less timing and they opened up the throttle plate a touch. With the throttle plate open, this lowers the pressure in the manifold... and so when there is a change like vacuum being drawn to run the brakes... or a alternator puts a load on the system there is less pressure change in the manifold... less pressure change, less unstable idle.... and so it idles pretty well under loads now.

The above is the change after the failed inspection....

BEFORE the failed inspection... They did a lot of changes in the map... the fuel map especially. If you remember Bob had set the original fuel map as best he could... but with a 6mm hole in the manifold he did the best he could. Once i found the hole, and fixed it I DEPENDED on the self learning feature to "fix" the fuel map. Well... now she has a dedicated fuel map built on a steady state dyno to keep AFRs(between 12.5 and 13) in the peak range to make power, and protect the "fragile" OEM cast pistons from detonation.

So, back to the car.... with my new found trust in her overall character... and to signify her change from temperamental toy :( ... into reliable, dependable toy :)

She gets her first new set of wipers in over 5 years a set of Anco Aero Advantage..... Why??

Now that she runs well besides wipers working, I felt it is time to finish up the parking brake.

oldeskewltoy wrote: The emergency brake cables need a fabricated bracket on the driverside(thank you Jesse), and a zip tie around the axle hop line mount to secure the passenger side cable.

Back almost a year ago when the GTS diff went in we had been successful in finding mounting points for the heavy cables... but the small bracket inside the trans tunnel used to support the front where they come together was about 1" too far forward to actually be useful...

so today we (Jesse and I) removed the bracket from its original location, reversed its position - to make mounting in the new location easier...

Now that the cables are supported front and rear, I can finish up with the handle. Anyone have a spare GTS parking brake handle? Josh informs me the GTS has a different fulcrum shape for the cable to ride in... and MAY be required to use GTS calipers and cables...

OR... I can figure a way to lengthen the single cable about 3/4" to fit.

oldeskewltoy wrote:
OR... I can figure a way to lengthen the single cable about 3/4" to fit.

I should have kept the lengthening to 3/4", I did about 1 1/4"(length of threads) and although it now works, I have little room left for further adjustment...

If/when that time occurs that it is out of adjustment, I'll cut off the bindings and place the two sections a bit tighter together...

but for now... we have a working parking brake.....

NOW... maybe I can think about carpeting, and the remainder of the interior....

... and so now begins the beginning of the end of this build... :D

riddleyo
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby riddleyo » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 pm

I remember reading about your engine build. Freakin awesome. Really really detailed build even though everyone was giving ya crap about your wrist pins - lol. Great project, great attention to detail.

When are you going to get a video of the car!?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Mon May 05, 2014 11:13 am

riddleyo wrote:I remember reading about your engine build. Freakin awesome. Really really detailed build even though everyone was giving ya crap about your wrist pins - lol. Great project, great attention to detail.

When are you going to get a video of the car!?

a short ride.... :)

http://youtu.be/oC73j3m_Hf4

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:19 am

been a LOOOONG time since an update....

In spring of 2015.... the great tire experiment is over... the General Exclaim UHP tires are officially in the trash.... having been replaced by a set of Comp2's from Goodrich

drives so much nicer.

A little history.... back when I originally conceived of this build, part of my influence was my years "playing" with muscle and pony cars... (remember I'm 56, so when all those muscle/pony cars were cheap... I was driving) In fact just prior to me getting involved with AE86s, I had restored a 1970 428SCJ Mach1 Mustang with the "Drag pack" - better rods, oil cooler, 3.91 traction Lok diff.

The whole Mustang thing turned me off, and so I moved on.... but the influence was there........

As I built Surreptitious, one of my goals was to build a "mini pony car" Something like a small block Mustang, or Camaro.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/196 ... est-review

C&D about the 1967 Chevy Camaro 350 wrote:

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 7.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 23.0 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 16.1 @ 86.5 mph
Braking, 80-0 mph: 280 ft
Roadholding, 280-ft-dia skidpad: 0.76 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city/highway driving: 13-16 mpg (premium fuel)

So a small block Camaro runs the 1/4 in 16.1 @ 86.5 mph, Surreptitious managed it in 15.77 @ 88

Not too bad considering I hadn't been drag racing in 30 years..... :shock:

In the time that has passed, I've also made a few Yahoo Japan purchases....

The first... a set of OEM Toyota molded front splash guards

more recently I scored a moderately rare E7 Steering wheel. Called a "woody" in the Toyota parts catalog.... It came only in Japan, and only on SE (top trim level)models. Still not sure if I'm swapping it in for the Nardi.....

oldeskewltoy in 2014 wrote:
Surreptitious goes to Loynings, and is tuned on their steady state dyno. She is "tuned" in each rpm band for power. Off to DEQ(emissions testing) and fails.... 1100 HC, 5.0 CO.

I bring her back in, they make a few adjustments, I go back to DEQ... 214 HC, 0.447 CO - She passes :mrgreen:

and no new cat required this time.... :)

It has taken a lot of patience.... and help from friends, but the FJO management system is beginning to shed its veils. Over the past 2 years I've begun to actually understand my engine management. In February I tool Surreptitious to DEQ, she went in, and failed, BUT unlike last times failure (5.0 CO 1100 HC), she was pretty close at 2.2 CO and 470 HC. But the specs are 1.0 or less CO and 200 HC or less. Having a lot more confidence in what to do, we adjusted idle time while monitoring the AFR readings from the wideband... we got the idle readings to change from 13.4 - 13.7, to 14.7 to 15.1. We went back to DEQ and we passed EASILY HC was 110, while CO was .0556 :D

and a bit more history........ http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=26593&page=2 - post dated 6/12/2008

OST's engine build June 2008 wrote:

I hate predicting outcomes... but guessing based on all the specifics of this build.... 135 hp and 110 #-ft measured @ the wheels

But my goals(as I tell everyone to have before they build something)
1) to get to 110 #-ft of torque @the wheels, as a peak. My current engine is at about 94 to 95 #-ft. A well tuned blktop can plant 109 #-ft
2) to have a management system that can allow me to run nearly 11 to 1 CR AND be clean* and green**.
3) In conjunction with the AZ6, diff upgrades, brake upgrades, I could realistically bring the AE86 into the 21st century*** OR in other words to have my Corolla and have it fully capable of hauling my faat arse around for the next 10 years.
4) To keep my mid-life crisis under $50 grand!!! I CAN'T afford any exotic or kit of an exotic(costs are just tooooo damn high). I can't even afford to get a STi, or EVO, if I wanted one. I'm an olde muscle/pony car guy... but an AE86 is still only about 1/3 the cost of one of those beasts... and good luck driving them everyday.... AND owning a "custom"/unique ride with only a few cues that it is custom (SUBTLE) has always been my car personality.

* - emissions levels below(above?... how about better than)) 1986 standards, possibly close to 1996 OBD II stds
** - MPG on the highway of 30 minimum
*** - Hmmm, the muscle car and pony car world have a name for it.... resto mod - making your old car fully capable for modern transporation

The only thing that didn't portend was using my AE86, but I believe all would agree Surreptitious is a bit more unique :shock:

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:21 pm

Many project cars never get driven.... and fewer still make it to 20k miles..... :eek:

a short ride with a few friends...

https://youtu.be/E_59MJydx0Y

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:40 pm

you really put the love in your project. Amazing job!
I suspect you're not the lowered car type ;)

I actually think these ride better, more comfy and quieter than the ae86
My hatch surprised a few with its stock 3T, moded 2T carb & exhaust. Ice cold ac (after tweaks)
Too bad I lost photos of a super cool blue hatch, lowered, black mesh rims and a big az sunroof(looked factory tho)
think it was at a Jersey old school meet on 3tc forum

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:41 pm

jinx wrote:you really put the love in your project. Amazing job!

I suspect you're not the lowered car type ;)

thanks....

Got this pic a few years ago when my friend (in pic looking at other car) and I were out doing some tuning to increase fuel efficiency.

Front is a little bit lower, an inch maybe a tiny bit more, the rear is not lower, it might even bit a tiny bit taller.... providing a small forward rake to the car...... ;)

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:01 pm

as far as I know this is the only AE71 that can LEGITIMATELY carry this vinyl...

:D

aceforever
Club4AG Pro

Postby aceforever » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:39 am

Glad to see more updates to this beauty :)

BattleGarage_RS
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby BattleGarage_RS » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Hi Dan, would you mind letting me know what intake hose and airbox that is? I'm after something that doesn't look modified as well for my 16V street car. I was looking at JDM MAP intakes but they seem to be hard to find here.

Grant
The tuning spirit of the 90's is alive again!

AE86 parts 24/7 :arrow: http://shop.battlegarage-rs.com

JDM20VAE101
Club4AG Expert

Postby JDM20VAE101 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:00 am

Great job! Clean Ride! Glad you are using it! Enjoy!
Ivan's 4AGE BT 20V 6Spd LSD Build Thread
Just Scroll Down & Enjoy!
http://www.club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4529
Thanks For Looking! :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:55 pm

I try to be careful when it comes to accessorizing Surreptitious... don't want her looking trashy... So these became available....

and I jumped on them... fit isn't bad...

They are just propped in there for now, I'll need to come up with a method to mount them securely as the original mounts were not included

:)

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:43 am

repairs????

Was out running a few heads out to the machine shop and all of a sudden the blinkers slow to a crawl.... found the directional relay, and replaced it....

Oh... I also acquired(purchased) a new set of wheels.... 15x6.5 +19 for the fronts, and 15x7 + 13 for the rears....

should be here in about 2 weeks......

:D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:01 pm

BattleGarage_RS wrote:Hi Dan, would you mind letting me know what intake hose and airbox that is? I'm after something that doesn't look modified as well for my 16V street car. I was looking at JDM MAP intakes but they seem to be hard to find here.

Grant

The intake hose is custom - it began life as a stock AE86 GTS hose, I removed the bellows section because of a crack, I re-assembled it using a bicycle inner tube as the "joint between the 2 halves, and I filled the gap between the 2 halves with RTV.

The airbox is from a late 80s Ranger V6 pick up truck

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:24 pm

so those 15" meshies got a li'l stagger to go with the swagger. Cool find
Now it's gonna look like the blue hatch I mentioned above. Found one pix of it (no others tho).
Luv the big glass sunroof. Wish the AE came with those
From some ol school meet years ago.... where half the rollas had starion 2.6 motor swaps - lol. Wierd

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:25 pm

Repairs.......... well it has been over 7 years and close to 25k miles..........

Lost one cylinder all of a sudden on Tuesday... she sounded like a Subaru :mrgreen:

I pulled plug wires and #1 cylinder was not firing :x I swapped #1 and #4 @ the coils, and now #4 was not firing. Borrowed a friends coil pack, and she fired up on all 4.

Decided to purchase 2 coils so both will be new/fresh.

More to come...... :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:32 am

Feb of an even year.......

Its emissions testing time again. I brought her through, and while not a "gross polluter", she did fail on hydro carbons 400ppm, the level is 220. The cat is now 3 inspections old, and so I replaced the cat, and went back through.........

As you can see a nice new cat and she is very clean @ 1ppm for HC, and .011% CO

Shes' good for another 2 years. Not bad as she is heading into her 9th year as her new self......

as always......... more to come...... :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 am

from another forum wrote:Congratulations, so the CAT lasted 6 years?

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

pretty much.... and the first tune on it was very polluting... before I knew to dial back injector open time to get proper idle.... :oops:

But... with some good... some bad... for those that remember... the PO used kouki doors, and regulators, but with zenki glass. Now this isn't a problem with the AE86, but with the E7 cars, zenko versions had door mounted mirrors (on the door skin), while kouki versions had wing mounted (leading corner of door). The glass is slightly different........

Well, the window stop broke...

so now the glass can go up too far....

So it looks like I'll be MAKING the replacement! I've ordered a 1" round stock by 1 foot long piece of UHMW... and I'll use Jesse's lathe to turn it to size...... :shock:

more to come...... :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:32 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:Well, the window stop broke...

so now the glass can go up too far....

So it looks like I'll be MAKING the replacement! I've ordered a 1" round stock by 1 foot long piece of UHMW... and I'll use Jesse's lathe to turn it to size...... :huh:

more to come...... :D

Thank you Jesse ;)

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:49 pm

3D printed..... rear shock covers.....

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:38 am

looks like your club4ag engine link is dead. I know u have other postings about the net
it'd be cool if u had a blog page or something, where that valuable info could be reliably preserved (no photosuckit)
even if in a condensed version
Your 1.6 redtop is a meticulous outstanding effort. Would b nice to c what u can do with a 1.8 version

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:22 am

jinx wrote:looks like your club4ag engine link is dead. I know u have other postings about the net
it'd be cool if u had a blog page or something, where that valuable info could be reliably preserved (no photosuckit)
even if in a condensed version
Your 1.6 redtop is a meticulous outstanding effort. Would b nice to c what u can do with a 1.8 version

I've contemplated a blog... but more likely for my headwork......

The car build is still up - http://www.hachiroku.net/forums/forum/m ... reptitious

as to a 1.8 liter... I have a couple of options (photo below) at my disposal.... still thinking it out.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:38 pm

Well.... with 140whp a crush sleeve lasts about 25,000 miles before the sleeves failure causes more extreme diff problems.......

This time I'm running the Weir solid pinion sleeve

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:43 am

When initially building Surreptitious, I had some mirror issues, (I would have liked the vintage Hellas's.... oh well) and somewhat settled on the GT mirrors that I have.

But we never did properly install them, only using sheet metal screws for mounting.... and that doesn't hold up over time, and miles....... (annoying to have to tighten my mirrors monthly)

Additionally... if you remember.... when I was building her I had purchased a rivnut tool to install the oil cooler brackets...

So about 45min work, carefully drilling the 4 holes, and removing the burrs

Hopefully tightening the mirrors will be a thing of the past...........

more to come... :D

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:18 pm

Well.... I've had some excitement since I last posted.

First, in May of 2021, I got SUPER lucky.......... one of the oil cooler lines let go, the braided hose began leaking internally!

Caught it before I ran it out of oil :o

No harm, no foul - new hoses fitted

and earlier this year (2022) the original LEEN clutch disc took a dump, broke a couple of springs.

So I contacted Max @ Illegal Garage and had him make me a new clutch......

ImageImage

So 2 years into her 2nd decade and she is still alive and doing well...

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:29 pm

you dodged a bullet, with oil line fail. I never liked AN or braided hose underhood
Always kept it simple and oem-type. Still use hard steel line for turbo feed etc(hold up to 30+yrs oem, so...)

strange looking clutch disc