SR5 to 20V slow build (Tofu man Coupe)

ritchie86

SR5 to 20V slow build (Tofu man Coupe)

Postby ritchie86 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:46 pm

I bought this 1985 86 coupe for 500 with a blown motor back in 2011.I had it sitting in storage since I bought it and just now decided to begin restoring it and the original motor.Well I thought about doing a couple swaps,the 4age 16v or the 4age 20v.I'm going to go with the 20 valve since I don't think there are too many with that conversion here in Florida,that I know of.
Here is a side pic.
This engine has seen better days definitely
I started on it,took off the bumper and side lights,the plastic trim underneath and on the sides.
I'm going to see if I cant have the sunroof made into a fixed piece made of fixed plaxiglass,but smoked.
RUST!!!!!!!
Need to get another bumper plus another fuel cap.Yea and taillights too.
Fenders are not exactly in the best shape.Those will be replaced along with the hood and trunk.
Battery tray rusted along with the sheetmetal underneath it.

These are just a few pics of the car and what needs to be done.I do plan on buying the 20v in the next few months
provided I can have all the body work done in that time frame.I'm also working on my lifted 93 Grand Cherokee
and just bought a Grand Cherokee 5.9,so I have my hands full.

I'm not exactly in a hurry to finish this build,but I'm sure I can find plenty of answers here for those who have done the swap.
As far as the body,I do plan on doing the Zenki front JDM conversion along with yellow fogs and yes,the tofu store label,lol.
Stay tuned!!

cmt1390

Re: SR5 to 20V slow build (Tofu man Coupe)

Postby cmt1390 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:06 pm

now this my friend will be a time consuming project...... spend you're $$$$$$ wisely

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Nice, someone up here in Raleigh was selling a complete swap, motor, tranny and all wiring for $800.

Hey Monstuh, where do you live? I'm just south of Raleigh.

sqznby
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby sqznby » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:20 pm

Monster wrote:
sqznby wrote:Nice, someone up here in Raleigh was selling a complete swap, motor, tranny and all wiring for $800.

Hey Monstuh, where do you live? I'm just south of Raleigh.

I live just below Raleigh in Garner, close to Tryon Rd and Garner Rd.

Cool, not too far from me. I did a lot of work over at TT&E putting up the new section.
I'm in Cary.

grappletech
Club4AG Expert

Postby grappletech » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:47 am

holy crap man, props to all the NC guys here. Im personally from charlotte, But im stationed in Colorado at the time... I've lived in Greensboro and Raleigh also. Keep up the NC love here
87 GTS Coupe stock and Super Duper Clean
87 GTS Coupe Beams 3sge (under construction cuz I'm slow and lazy and broke-FML)
87 SR5 Coupe Shell. (Sold)
86 SR5 Hatch Shell
86 GT-SR5 Coupe 20v Swap

ritchie86

Postby ritchie86 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Monster wrote:There has been plenty of 20V AE86s in Floriduh, I've owned a few along with my Friend who still lives there and currently building a 20V starlet. Nice project though, where abouts in Floriduh you at?

I'm in Jacksonville.There are very few 86's here.

ritchie86

Postby ritchie86 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:40 pm

cmt1390 wrote:now this my friend will be a time consuming project...... spend you're $$$$$$ wisely

Thanks bro.I just came from the storage unit it's in and dismantled the fenders,trunk,and misc things.The metal underneath the fenders are not as bad as I thought it would be.

ritchie86

Postby ritchie86 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Today I went out to the unit it's at and tackled taking the fenders off.A couple bolts were not so forgiving and worked my way around them.Took the trunk off since it will be replaced.There is a JY with a couple of 86's that I can source the parts from,but they have not put them in the yard yet to be picked on.Hopefully they are both 16V so I can get the rear end and several other things I need.

NC Panda
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby NC Panda » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Sounds good man, minus the rust spots that may as well be a copy of the car i picked up with some pretty similar plans. I'm excited to see where you take this car haha. Where were those 86's going to the junkyards? Just curious (doubt we're looking for the same parts btw) lol

ritchie86

Postby ritchie86 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:14 pm

They are already there,but they hold vehicles for awhile before they release them for the public to get parts off of.Maybe if I can get some parts I dont really need,then possibly I can grab em and sell em.Like the title suggest,it's a slow build.I have thought about doing the Levin conversion,but it's still up in the air.Do plan on buying mostly JDM parts for this car and have looked up and found several places around the world with parts for sale.Stay tuned!