Road to autocrossing my 86

Bakemono858
Club4AG Regular

Road to autocrossing my 86

Postby Bakemono858 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:18 pm

Hey guys! My name is Michael, I live in SoCal and I'm in the process of reviving an 86 that was damaged in an accident by a previous owner which then sat for 6 years undrivin. I've never properly introduced myself on the forums but have lurked on Club4ag since I was in high school back in 2005, but finally bought my 86 last year around Janurary of 2012. I purchased the car from my dads co-worker who told him that he had an 86 that he used to drive till it go into an accident and I eventually jumped on it. These are the original pictures that I took when I went to the persons house to look at and to pick it up.
List of things to do:
Rebuild or purchase new LSD as my optional OEM LSD is blown; looking into a Kaaz or Tomei 1.5
Car is sitting on Tein Driving Masters with the passenger front shock being blown. Looking to invest into Greddy's coilovers
Getting CR-01 15 x 8.5 for more tread and sexiness
Rebuild or swap when the time comes

Finally got it home as safe as it could be.

The car wouldn't turn at all with a low compression in the first cylinder. While in the process of elimination I had a new water pump and radiator installed, new plugs and also restored the fuel tank. Found out it was a timing issue and the timing had to be advanced by just a little bit more than what's recommended from the OEM manual. Completely cleaned the air intake manifold which was completely black from scrubbing and hot tanking the piece.
Eliminated all the grounding wires which I assume was used for a sound system but still don't understand why there was so many.
Super clean front interior with one crack on the dash. I found clean rear seats and also more hatch trim but have yet to install yet.
Car sitting at BMW CCA autocross event running well with just a slight knock.
Here's a solid run in the wet during practice runs. GoPro died before the timed runs which I dropped my time by 10 secs from my practice as it dried up just a bit.
Here's a link to my autocross practice run. It won't let me use embedding so here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFarBNszWBQ
More to come when the time comes and I look forward to adding more in this build post. Thanks for checking it out!

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Re: Road to autocrossing my 86

Postby Zenki85 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:37 pm

Very nice! Already hitting up track days! Keep up the good work!
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

Bakemono858
Club4AG Regular

Postby Bakemono858 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Thanks! I had to hit the autocross to see how the car performs of course ;]

Skizzup
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Skizzup » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

if you wanna autocross, i suggest go 13's with some v710's. 215/50/13. AMAZING lol help so much on autocross courses

i miss going to autocrosses to grip.
- Dino
Do you wanna ball or not?
http://instagram.com/skizzup

Bakemono858
Club4AG Regular

Postby Bakemono858 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Haha I don't have the money for those tires :< student + part time = budget :]

Zenki85
Club4AG Expert

Postby Zenki85 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:52 pm

Bakemono858 wrote:Haha I don't have the money for those tires :< student + part time = budget :]

+10000
TEAM 'CLASSIC
A 'CLASSICALIFORNIACAR
Adriansadriano@yahoo.com - email

Skizzup
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Skizzup » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:31 pm

i feel that. i used to be in the boat. keep up the good work and be persistent. you'll get there man haha
- Dino
Do you wanna ball or not?
http://instagram.com/skizzup

Project9

Postby Project9 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:14 am

How's it going Michael! My name is Luis. I'm in SoCal as well and would love to see one of these GTS on the track. How often are these events held? I went to one at the Great Weatern Forum but I didn't see any corollas. BTW did you have the chassis straightened out?

Bakemono858
Club4AG Regular

Postby Bakemono858 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Hey Luis. The autocross events in SoCal are monthly with BMW Car Club of America and SCCA at the Qualcomm stadium. I just got my 86 back from the frame shop this morning and paid $469. Me and my father inspected it a few hours ago and it sadly seems like they did nothing to the car except adjust my camber plates and take it to an alignment shop. I'm incredibly irritated and knowing that this is the second time I've been screwed over by shops with this car, I may just sell it off and perhaps look for another.

Project9

Postby Project9 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Screwed twice!? Why didn't you take it back!? I wouldn't pay for a job if I didn't see some kind of a spec sheet showing what they did

Bakemono858
Club4AG Regular

Postby Bakemono858 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:39 pm

The first time I took my car to a shop was to have the front left panel replaced as well as the upper radiator support replaced.That was fine I found out they stripped a bolt as well as the hole for the front bumper twice.They also redented the hood that they fixed from slamming the hood and I was just fed up with the place. The new place I went to they had the car aligned in which we didn't request for them to just find a way to get the car aligned.

Project9

Postby Project9 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Man sounds like you are having trouble finding a good shop.. Where in SoCal do you stay at? I may know of a few shops that can straighten the frame for you