Re: Red Death Revival: Beams

Postby Randall KE36-TE72-AE86 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am

Nice build.

boosted86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby boosted86 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:22 am

Awesome so psyched to see it running!
Where you located btw? I've got two doors.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm

Thanks, and I'm in Wisconsin.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:47 pm

making some serious progress on this thing. Almost ready for the paint booth.

trans tunnel. Uses a WRX shifter hole/shift boot. pretty neat.

front end and bash bar are done.

Satty and I also welded most of the holes in the engine bay shut.

and i "test fitted" these, didnt load the suspension though. but its not like this car gains any camber or anything.

Mounted the hydro and chopped off my ignition lock cylinder to finally unlock my steering column that had been stuck for like two years since I lost the keys to the car.  

Got this stuff

More progress on the space ship today. Got most of the remaining holes in the engine bay shut, installed new doors, finally put the battle version traction brackets in since having the axles out made it pretty easy, then added some sweet decals.

Also got this sweet STACK wideband 02 sensor and mounted the gauge.

paint date is march 14th, dyno date is april 11th, first event of the season is april 27th. Time to **** **** up.

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Can't wait till the next update.
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.

discoshit
Club4AG Regular

Postby discoshit » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:39 pm

awesome build! whats your name on fb btw? I have a beams swap my self and I had a question about the aem.

strmrdr23
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby strmrdr23 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:55 am

jeebus, this is epic...

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

thanks dudes

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:10 pm

Made some progress yesterday

Really happy with how the color came out. Can't wait until the whole car is painted.

Bonus pic

YOTAHOLIC808
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby YOTAHOLIC808 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 am

Damn!!
:o
@_yotaholic

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:56 pm

yea it came out really nice I think.

discoshit
Club4AG Regular

Postby discoshit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 am

what header are you using?

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:37 pm

custom

there are no bolt in solutions that will work.

discoshit
Club4AG Regular

Postby discoshit » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:27 pm

looks awesome. mind sharing more info about the header? ie who built it, pricing and availability.

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:57 am

It was built at destruction warehouse in kenosha wisconsin with the rest of my car. There is no pricing or availability because it wont work in anyone elses car. There are no bolt-in swap mounts for beams, so everyone's engine is mounted differently, just because this header works in my car doesnt mean it would work in anyone elses just because they have a beams swap. if my engine were mounted an inch in any direction, up, down, forward, back, etc this header wouldnt work. As far as materials are concerned, I spent about 900-1000 on my exhaust materials total.

I did do a small group buy on the flanges: 304 stainless 3/8" and they came out to about 100 bucks + shippign give or take when we did a run of 5, if you are interested let me know, we can probably have more made.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:29 pm

Longrain

Selling those custom crossmember soon? Im still interested

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:50 am

LongGrain...the ITB adapter your using...are the ports curved inside to match the Beams intake spacing but retain the ITB oem spacing...I believe the Beams ports are spaced a little wider there for you would either have to use custom linkage for the ITBs to make up for the distance or the adapter itself would have to compensate in the ports by angling them a little to match the beams...Ive seen 3 different designs so far...Glenn Booths TRD copy, this one your using and this one http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g138437433 on yahoo auction which u can see what i mean about curved ports...similar to what was done back in the day to make the redtop intakes fit the big port heads
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

gaijin_rokurunner
Club4AG Pro

Postby gaijin_rokurunner » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:10 am

Oh forgot...does the OEM ITB gasket that fits between the stock plenum and ITBs on the 20v fit on these bolted to that manifold....doing a turbo setup and my plenum matches the 20v BT gasket
20v power.....powered by Orion's Demise!

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 am

Sorry for the late replies/lack of updates. Gaijin, yes the ports on the adapter make smooth perfect transitions from the bt20v throttles to the beams intake ports. everything is port matched to flow perfectly. you can read about it and see some more pictures here. I also do not see why the gasket would not work as the throttles are spaced exactly like stock. They are just mounted upside down so the throttle pulley is on the bottom. if you would like me to post more pictures from when I mounted mine, let me know. The Excessive adapter is an extremely nice product for an awesome price.

http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/ON ... =4&pid=306

Going to go ahead and copy and paste all my updates from the last few weeks.

got engine bay and front suspension all put back together yesterday. Test fitted new run free flares and wheels.

need to get the rear end back together so we can get the car into rolling condition.

We're still struggling to find a place to paint the car, which is the real hangup right now. Car could be done really quick if we could get it into a booth sometime soon.

Some pictures from yesterday

Started off test fitting the flares, fitment is good and i love how they look. Koichi style.

Installed brake and clutch cylinders and plumbed lines. put front suspension in, put subframe bolts in.

subframe/engine/trans in

bolted suspension to LCA and test fitted a wheel right quick.

tension rod brackets, tension rods and sway bar in place (sway bar needs to be moved a bit, and I have new end links, so its not bolted in)

Vinny was mostly working on a customer car so I was working on this by myself for the most part, We were hoping to get the rear end done but that will just have to wait until next time.

sortof a big update today. Yesterday was a 21 hour day including driving time, got to DW at about 10:30 and didnt get home until 4am.

Started off finishing off the header, just needed to add a 45* bend, the v-band and a bung for the wideband.

and done, installed on the car for good now.

Got my rear end all back together and up in the car, installed rotors, calipers, pads, all 3 rear stainless lines, spacers, etc.

Then satty stopped in and dropped off my bash bar that he had powder coated texture black. Came out nice I think, Going to do my core support the same once we finish doing my hood pins.

Fits nice with the bumper.

then we went on to chopping my quarters. Took a big ole **** right on those motherfuckers.

test fit, 14x8 -50 effective.

then after double checking all the suspension **** to make sure we didnt forget to tighten anything, and adjusting my front alignment a bit we finally set the car back on the ground and put the hatch back on.

and finally tucked it out of the way because vinny is having a fundraiser/charity event at the shop next weekend, overall i'm pretty happy with the progress we made.

i forgot what it was like to see this car really low. Obviously my alignment specs are all wack, but I'm still stoked on it.

Here's some better NON cell phone pics for you guys. One of my friends was there with a nice camera snapping random shots all day.

I didnt take a lot of pictures yesterday but I went down and did what I could to get the car ready to tow it away for paint. finally bolted in the engine/trans (it was already in there, just didnt have any nuts for the motor/trans mouth studs) so it's permanently mounted for the first and last time. also started removing all the plastic stuff, bumper lights, corners, eyelids, etc. Figured I didnt want to have to bungee my hood down to drive it, so went ahead and put some aerocatches on it. Thought installing those was going to be much harder than it was, but it was pretty straight forward, did it by myself for the most part, besides the welding.

anyways.

discoshit
Club4AG Regular

Postby discoshit » Wed May 21, 2014 5:51 pm

amazing build quality sir. keep it up

boosted86
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby boosted86 » Fri May 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Saw your update on ziptied, car looks sick man and sounds great, forget the exhaust haters haha. Awesome to see it going now I'd love to get mine up to usair this year.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:51 am

no up date?

8686GTS
Club4AG Regular

Postby 8686GTS » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:19 am

I like where this is heading. Great job!
ImageImage

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:30 pm

sorry dudes. behind on updates. I'll just paste this from the local forum I post on.

alright I'm going to type for a bit and then photo dump at the end here, a lot of **** went down this last week.

Went down with josh with the plan to hammer out the body work and paint the car the first weekend, Satty, Josh, Vinny and myself all bossed the **** up and hammered a **** load of stuff out the first night as far as getting any last welding, grinding and other metal work done.

Next day we got a good handle on the rest of the bodywork, loaded the car onto the trailer and brought it to vinny's house, where it was to be painted. Once we got there we did some more body work, but quickly realized it was getting late and it didnt look like we were going to be able to get it hammered out in time. We had to call it a night and come back the next day.

Sunday we came back and formulated a new plan. There was no way we were going to have time to finish the body work and paint the whole car, it just wasn't going to happen. so we decided to focus on the inside of the car.. If the interior was prepped and painted, there was nothing stopping me from putting all the business aspects of the car back together and getting it running and driving so that we could worry about painting the outside later. So we did just that, got the interior all set and called it a night yet again.

Then monday the plan was to move the car back to the shop and begin reassembly, however, we had lost our tow vehicle since we were previously using josh's Enclave. Since money was tight and renting wasn't an option, We decided to take our chances with vinny's slammed 2wd 4 cylinder S10, but it didnt have a hitch so we had to make one, which took all day pretty much, but the next day we moved the car and I spent the whole week putting it back together, all wiring, interior, aluminum dash had to be made, suspension crap, brake and clutch hydraulics, windows and to be glued in and mounted etc etc etc.

Once this was all done i got it running and **** and it was ready for a test drive. car was running solid, everything seemed to be working kosher, took it on a couple drives and it was doing well. Went for one last test drive of the night and was gaining some confidence in the car so i decided to give it hell on this twisty dead end road in the middle of no where. But then coming up to a corner at probably about 60, I went to brake and lost all pressure, I ripped the wheel to try to not under steer over a giant curb and into the woods and ended up starting to spin, I jumped the curb on the inside of the corner and then again on the outside before coming to a stop. Crashed that **** pretty hard, I thought for sure I had ripped my oil pan clean off and my exhaust as well. got out, realized i was right in front of someones house, checked the car over, seemed ok, no big pile of oil or anything, i started it back up, dragged it back off the curb and hauled ass the **** out of there, leaving my bumper behind to come back for it later. When I got back to the shop we saw there was brake fluid all over everything in my bay, apparently at some point one of my lines got nicked by a sanding disc and it ended up bursting. but luckily the only other damage was a dented pan, dented wheel, and some bent exhaust hangers.

Vinny had a spare OEM brake line in good shape, so yesterday we swapped it in and got the car running and driving again, everything seemed fine and we were running out of time so we had to get the **** out of kenosha. so we took a leap of faith and attempted to drive the car home. The first 80 miles to satty's place were totally uneventful and the car ran like a top the whole time. We relaxed at sattys for a while before venturing off on the second half of our journey. However, 5 miles in my front calipers decided to lock up on me, by the time I realized, I got out of the car, my rotors were glowing bright red and my pads were straight up ON FIRE, flames coming out of my wheels and ****. Wheels were even too hot to touch. Satty and I figured out the issue right away and it was a quick fix with some pliers and we drove the car back to oshkosh, where it is now in josh's hands for more body work before drift day.

The car seems to drive well and it's fast as **** when you get on it, so lets see how next weekend goes with it. i'm sure there will be some bugs to work out, but this thing survived 150+ miles on the highway the very first day I got it driving in three years. I have videos and **** that are on Facebook, I'm not going to post them here, so if you're not friends with me there, **** off, I don't feel like hosting to youtube.

Picture dump

then I got to take this thing drifting finally! it was really fun. Beans is really fast! Still figuring out the car and it could use an alignment, but it felt awesome to be back out there in my own car for the first time in like 4 years.

I guess i'll post some updates from this past weekend.

Since we had the 2014 meet planned, I wanted to kill two birds with one stone and get my car on the dyno at the same time. Armando at Ill Garage was extremely accommodating and even though they are not normally open on saturdays, he gave me the go ahead to bring it in first thing saturday morning. So i spent most of last week getting the car prepared to make the 400+ mile round trip journey to chicago. I didnt do much, however i was able to get my exhaust fixed and put back on, wideband data logger and input signal wired into the AEM, tach wired/pinned in properly (thanks kevin) etc.

I finished getting the car ready at midnight on friday, got up at 330am saturday and hit the road. Just by coincidence another Wisconsin drifter acquaintance/friend had also scheduled himself in at IL right after me so I met up with him in the milwaukee area and we cruised down together, he has a ka-t 13 silvia. I also brought my friend brian who drove my backup car carrying all my tools and jack and **** in case something happened.

Uggo on the highway, almost to the IL border

I can't say we made it without incident, as my exhaust did fall off once, which was an easy fix, and then after we fixed it and we were leaving the oasis on 294 and my steering wheel came off, and genius me tried to grab my steering column to steer myself away from the median and failed. Smacked the median hard and thought I totaled my ****, but my bash bar appears to have saved my ass completely and all I came out with was some popped zip ties, a crack or two in the front bumper and a cracked fender light. after I saw it was nothing serious i laughed about it.

finally we made it to Ill garage.

after AC's bitch ass had told me my car was high enough to get on the dyno without raising it, Armando immediately told me the opposite. Luckily I came prepared with my spring perches for the rear that I could put back in and get another inch or so of height. I put those on in the hot ass sun and got all sweaty, but it wasn't too bad, and the car hardly looks higher so i'll probably leave them in, my exhaust scrapes a lot less now.

anyways, got on the dyno. I could tell Mando didnt have a lot of experience strapping down live axle cars to the dyno hahaha.

and for your auditory displeasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKxab5WPKU

Then, as you all know, our meet got rained out at Miami Woods. Which was terrible for me, as I don't have wipers or any sort of defrost function.. and my windshield leaks. Luckily after taking shelter next to a factory for a while, the rain let up enough for me to get the car to BWW where we all met back up to get some wings and wait out the storm.

Overall totally successful trip, had a blast and it was awesome seeing everyone. Hopefully next time we will have better weather.

and heres a photo from when I was on the side of the road after running out of gas trying to keep up with Kevin and AC being kanjo racers.

I'm hoping the car will be painted this weekend.

terolla
Club4AG Regular

Postby terolla » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:21 pm

Would you be willing to disclose the numbers you made on the dyno :mrgreen:

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:26 pm

Awesome! It's real cool to see your machine doing events and driving on the road, Boss!
That Beans must be mad fun.
irony.cc

LongGrain

Postby LongGrain » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Some updates for you assholes.

Josh and I planned to try to paint my car this weekend. It was going to be a lot of work and josh didnt think we'd be able to get it all done, but we were going to give it the old college try and see if we couldnt get at least the chassis by itself painted, and do all the parts and pieces another time.

i got to his place at about 4pm on saturday to find the car like this, looking like a total **** show, just how I left it.

I quickly dismantled the car and made damn sure people driving my might mistake the neighborhood for a trailer park.

First order of business was to get my roof to look like a roof again. You see, my roof was something of a complete disaster. filling in the sunroof left the whole panel pretty wavy, it took a lot of filler to knock it down, Josh and I were dual wielding 18" sanding blocks with 40 grit for what seemed like a lifetime knocking down mud and recoating. It felt like we were on an episode of pimp my ride, I don't have any pictures from before but after hours of sanding it started to look like a roof again.

after a while we got to a point where we thought it was probably done. we had to re prime/seal the body work, which would also help show us if it was actually flat.

we were both pretty impressed.

Primed and sealed the flares as well.

and then called it a night.

Saturday morning we got up early, rolled the car out into the sun to assess the situation. The roof still looked good as far as we could tell, just a few divots to fill in with finishing glaze. easy peasy. so josh started blocking the whole car down to prep for spraying.

Meanwhile I created a regular Dexter Morgan kill room and we rolled the car back into the garage.

And finally some pictures in the "booth" I think it came out really nice given the space and equipment we were working with. And the roof! we couldn't believe how nice it looked. we were expecting waves for days.

After giving the car a good hour to tack up, Satty and I untaped it and got it back on the ground and rolling so we could roll it outside into the sun to dry. Meanwhile josh started blocking down all the other panels. These pics do the car no justice.

Somehow we still had a lot of daylight left, and we decided to take advantage of it and hammer out the rest of the parts right away.

Sooo, yea. Thats about it, we rolled the chassis back into the garage until next time.

The only thing we didnt get to was the bumpers, my front one needs some fiberglassing and the rear needs to be stripped, it has a lot of layers of paint that are all flaking off. Josh is taking care of those this week.

In other news, satty and I were trying to diagnose what seemed to be a worn out steering rack, come to find out my rack isn't even bolted down... and i've been driving it around like that and did 2 days of drifting like that. Riding the dragon like fucking WHOA.

DrAE86Toreno
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby DrAE86Toreno » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 am

Probably one of my favorite US..."oem plus" look...i love it! I wish my 86 was this bad ass!!!!!!

RuizXIII
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby RuizXIII » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:14 pm

paint came out really good!
irony.cc

Clouds
Club4AG Expert

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:15 am

RuizXIII wrote:paint came out really good!

+1 Does look great
There shouldn't be a day that goes by where you don't learn something new.