WARMACHINE

dano

WARMACHINE

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:49 am

It sucks that the old build thread is gone, Had this car going on 6 years now - had my whole progress on the board. Sit back and Watch the transformation...

I flew to vancouver to pick up this gem - USDM 1987 hactchback, had a 4agze swap in it already, other than a TRD short shifter, it was bone stock, I drove it home in winter,which I found out later that the owner removed the entire heating system, through the mountains, on bald tires:

Stage 1:
by now i added new carpet and R32 seats

dano

Re: WARMACHINE

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:05 am

stage 2: Stiffen her up.

dano

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 am

Stage 3: More goodies, More insanity.

Last edited by dano on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

dano

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:35 am

Satge 4: Turbo Time!

Finished the swap and the next day took it off on a roadtrip with my buddy in his Levin down to the coast to longbeach for JCCS!

Last edited by dano on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

dano

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:55 am

Stage 5: Lets upgrade that body armor and get some Angle!!!

Last edited by dano on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

dano

Postby dano » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 am

Stage 6: The Heart of a V8.

I apologize for the lack of pics for this swap - i had a ton of pictures but my phone became corrupted and I lost all the photos

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

dano wrote:Image

What electric fans are you running here?

Keep up the good work! Love the "passenger eject" button :P

Thanks! :)

marley4us
Club4AG Expert

Postby marley4us » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:46 pm

holy crap!
1985 Corolla Hatch widebody w/ SR20det (The Project)
1993 5SGTE stroker widebody MR2 Turbo (drag car)
2002 Miata SE hardtop (daily Driver)
1994 4runner (The truck)

TD86
Club4AG Regular

Postby TD86 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh my. Was this on old Club4AG??? How'd I miss this? Hahaha, war machine to the fullest. This 86 looks badass!

dano

Postby dano » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm

yellowsnow4free wrote:
dano wrote:Image

What electric fans are you running here?

Keep up the good work! Love the "passenger eject" button :P

Thanks! :)

the fans are from a 1995-1999 dodge neon WITH AC. One of the AC fans is a slim fan, and you have to rob them from 2 cars. But there's a hundred neons in every junkyard out there. They fit perfectly on the AE86 stock rad side by side and pull air like a motherf**ker. They also have the 1" lip on them so they sit off the rad and have not chance of damaging or cutting a rad. I lost one rad due to going down a gravel road and the fan flexed and cut up my rad. If you decide to use them - make sure you keep the stock dodge plugins - that way if you ever lose one down the road, you can go to the local junkyard and get one and plug it in!

LimitlessAlex
Club4AG Regular

Postby LimitlessAlex » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:59 pm

awesome car! i'm glad to see other hardcore 1uz guys out there really tearing it up!
what kind of steering mods do you have? that grassy pix looks like you have a LOT of angle!

dano

Postby dano » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:58 am

LimitlessAlex wrote:awesome car! i'm glad to see other hardcore 1uz guys out there really tearing it up!
what kind of steering mods do you have? that grassy pix looks like you have a LOT of angle!

Thanks alex - in the pics you can see some of the steering mods - for awhile i was running a custom rack with extra teeth cut into it for more angle, -5 degrees of negative camber with NRCA's, shortened tension rods and a longer LCA with a heim link, ps knuckles, tein camber plates, and it was a little excessive. Now since i did the mini tub mods, I run stock rods, stock length control arms with heim link, RCA's with stock ps rack and knuckles, and tein camber plates.

jay_trueno
Club4AG Regular

Postby jay_trueno » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:14 am

dano wrote:Stage 6: The Heart of a V8.

I apologize for the lack of pics for this swap - i had a ton of pictures but my phone became corrupted and I lost all the photos

I was looking for 1uz swap info and when i saw the tittle "war machine" i said to myself, this guy has to to be rolling V8... and sure enough. How did you modify the headers? Did you modify them at all? Also, by the weld marks it looks like you did your own strut bar. What type of material did you use? Love all the fab work. This car oozes attitude.

dano

Postby dano » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:45 am

jay_trueno wrote:
dano wrote:Stage 6: The Heart of a V8.

I was looking for 1uz swap info and when i saw the tittle "war machine" i said to myself, this guy has to to be rolling V8... and sure enough. How did you modify the headers? Did you modify them at all? Also, by the weld marks it looks like you did your own strut bar. What type of material did you use? Love all the fab work. This car oozes attitude.

Thanks guy! the headers are custom made by a buddy of mine - he took the exhaust gaskets in and had the metal shop fab them up and bought all the tubing to do it, it hugs the engine pretty tight - but leaves you enough room to get your socket in there to get at any bolt! The strut bar i custom made myself - I took the plates of my cusco bar into the metal fab shop and got them to make me a set and I used 1/4" tubing to make the bar, its actually pretty light considering its all steel and it'll be stronger than anything out there - made it for under 100 bux, although you do have to remove the underside bracing from under your hood to get it to fit, and it fits with the hood closed just barley...
Last edited by dano on Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:05 am

I absolutely love your car!! :o This thing is insane!!

I got a couple questions for you: the fender brace doesn't look like the other Ueo Style braces that I have seen, did you make them yourself?? Also does it help the handling a lot??

Second: I love what you have done with your front fenders, can you give me more info on how you built them??

Great work!!

McLevin

Postby McLevin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Your in alberta? Where? I've never seen this thing before! Awesome car, love the fenders.

OG UTOTMO
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby OG UTOTMO » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:56 pm

i hope u and ur buddys levin will be coming down to this yrs jccs?

dano

Postby dano » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:27 pm

OG UTOTMO wrote:i hope u and ur buddys levin will be coming down to this yrs jccs?

Since then my buddy put a full DMAX kit on the car, painted it red and sold it. He now has a insane 71 celica with a 1uz trubo swap putting out over 600hp/torque, that is now getting pulled and putting in a bigger engine that will be turbo'ed and even more insane, can't make it this year, will probably shoot for next year...

McLevin wrote:Your in alberta? Where? I've never seen this thing before! Awesome car, love the fenders.

Thanks! I'm down in Lethbridge!

iamalexreece wrote:I absolutely love your car!! :o This thing is insane!!

I got a couple questions for you: the fender brace doesn't look like the other Ueo Style braces that I have seen, did you make them yourself?? Also does it help the handling a lot??!!

Thanks man! I first had the UEO Style braces, then once I got a welder a year back I just copied the Ueo's and made my own outta 3/16" flat bar and sold the Ueo styles to fund my other car project

iamalexreece wrote:Second: I love what you have done with your front fenders, can you give me more info on how you built them??
Great work!!

The front fenders are 2 types of fiberglass fenders, Jblood ripoffs and TRD N2 fenders. The jblood ripoffs I bought back when I first had the car and the fitment was so shitty I never put them on the car. Once I got my hands on the N2, I chopped the bottom half off the jblood, rivot the N2 on top and to smooth out the seam between the two I used black paintable silicone. I did have to cut some of the N2 fender off at the front of the fender for clearance, I just cut it so it mached the lines on my jblood front bumper.

OG UTOTMO
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby OG UTOTMO » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 pm

dano wrote:
OG UTOTMO wrote:i hope u and ur buddys levin will be coming down to this yrs jccs?

Since then my buddy put a full DMAX kit on the car, painted it red and sold it. He now has a insane 71 celica with a 1uz trubo swap putting out over 600hp/torque, that is now getting pulled and putting in a bigger engine that will be turbo'ed and even more insane, can't make it this year, will probably shoot for next year...

I won't be going to any jccs or torc for maybe 3-5 yrs since I move to day shift and I lost my sat-sun days off... which is cool hopefully when I do get weekends off my car would be done..

eTiMaGo

Postby eTiMaGo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:08 am

LOL love the control panel! excellent car :)

NikNes
Club4AG Regular

Postby NikNes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 pm

How does the v8 power compare to a turbo 4age?

dano

Postby dano » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:15 pm

NikNes wrote:How does the v8 power compare to a turbo 4age?

It feels like it has the low end grunt of the 4AGZE, but with alot more hp. and its easily daily driveable, and feels about the same for getting up to the top end as the turbocharger.The tubo power was great after 3000rpm's like my subaru wrx but I never really got to use its full potential that often. I ditched the turbo in favour of low end tourqe as we don't have any roadcoarses here, but the GZE wasn't cutting it anymore for drifting so V8. But My biggest problem right now is brakes. I didn't think that the extra 300lbs on the front end would make a difference but its night and day.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby yellowsnow4free » Wed May 08, 2013 12:18 am

Thanks for the reply on my electric fan question! Sorry I didn't check back earlier :P

Did you have to modify the transmission tunnel to fit the 1UZ transmission? (W58?) I noticed you modified the firewall, but it came out nice :) (subtle)

Thanks again! :)

dano

Postby dano » Thu May 23, 2013 8:51 pm

yellowsnow4free wrote:Thanks for the reply on my electric fan question! Sorry I didn't check back earlier :P

Did you have to modify the transmission tunnel to fit the 1UZ transmission? (W58?) I noticed you modified the firewall, but it came out nice :) (subtle)

Thanks again! :)

unfortunatly my camera erased most of my v8 swap pics, the one pic of the firewall only shows what i started. I actually cut away alot of the front trans tunnel and welded in i think 3? big steel plates for a clean look and to give ample room. Which i then had to cut the side where the slave cylinder sits and box a opening for that so it had ample clearance to engage the clutch on the passenger side.you could get away with cutting reliefs like in the pic and weld those up, but if your going that far....

iamalexreece
Club4AG Regular

Postby iamalexreece » Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 pm

Dano!! What's up with this build??? It's been about a year... What's new???