Kiraush's 1985 SR5 Hatchback

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Kiraush's 1985 SR5 Hatchback

Postby Kiraush » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:13 pm

11/03/14
I don't know how fast this will progress, splurged suddenly to get this because I wasn't actually expecting to find an AE86 in my price range.

Lo and behold I found one, so about a total of around 800 miles later (in the thousands if you consider the second car) here she is:

Snug as a Bug. (Have a truck coming in a few days to clean almost everything out of the garage and take it to the dump, need some 86 space)

Some assembly required (Previous owner had 100% of the dash taken apart when I got there, had to jimmyrig the speedo to work, crossed my fingers that it didn't overheat and stopped every 50-75 miles to check the oil)

That's all I have for now, happy to be part of the family!

11/05/14

Replaced all the rubber trim on the hatch, fixed the headlights so they can flip up and down without difficulty.
Fixed a few interior pieces that had slight snaps/tears (all hard plastic) and superglued them back together.

12/16/14

Previous owner had rolled into something causing the hood to be bowed.

So I surfed junk yards until I finally found an Ae86 tucked away in the back, got the hood and complete headlight modules for 100$

7/10/2015

Haven't been updating as much as I should so I'll throw you guys a few pictures to get you up to date!

Took the front bumper off because the red line on the SR5 one was bugging me.

8/13/2015

Googley eyes and got GTS bumper trim!

8/20/2015

220,000 and holding!

9/13/2015

HUGE UPDATE! Traded a few Supra parts for a 1980 Te72 Corolla Wagon with a Silvertop 20v 4AGE swap in it.
The wiring needs to get done, so it'll be a little bit before I can get it in the AE86 and running. BUT, I have it!

Last edited by Kiraush on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 am, edited 20 times in total.

treborbadz

Re: Kiraush's Build Log

Postby treborbadz » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:58 am

Nice find, seems fresh

Good luck on your project

branden
Club4AG Regular

Postby branden » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:35 am

good find!

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Postby Grant » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:40 pm

Looks like a good starting point. Nothing too out of place (the dash is simple to put together after you've done it 5+ times :lol:).

Post more pictures when you get a chance! What are your plans for the car?

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kiraush » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Small update, forgot to take many pictures but I doubted many people really needed them :P

Changed the 4AC fuel pump, distributor cap and rotor as well as all the gaskets.
Doesn't have a steady leak of oil anymore!

Grant wrote:Post more pictures when you get a chance! What are your plans for the car?

Sadly I haven't ever takent he dash apart, which is the important part for me to be able to put something together easily :P
But I'll figure it out.

Right now I'm trying to figure out if it would just be a better choice for me to keep this one in good shape and sell it, then try to find a GTS or if I could get this one built into something I would like more than a GTS without spending a ton more than I would on a GTS.

If I keep this one what I want to do is:
A110 20 valve silvertop 4AGE,
get an LSD rearend that is a bit stronger than the sr5 rearend,
gotta get a new hood because it looks like the previous owner rolled into the back of a truck or something? Messed the hood up a very small amount, but I think it's a bit beyond repair,

First thing though, definitely pain that stupid red stripe to the same light blue as the car, and give those celicasupra rims a bath (cooovered in brake dust)

I do not plan on drifting and beating the **** out of this car, and if I took it to the drag strips in town it would merely be for fun.

I'll never own the fastest AE86, and I don't aim to own the fastest one. :P

Mini update! Went to a salvage yard near my house because "Hey, they wont have any AE86s but who knows what might be there"
and there's a Corolla FX16 with a 4AGE (looks complete) in it!

Silver/grey valve covers

Grant
Club4AG Expert

Re: Kiraush's 1985 SR5 Hatchback

Postby Grant » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:20 am

Well if you are one of those people who really wants a GT-S, and would feel funny about having a GT-SR5 or some other combination, then definitely keep looking and just fix this car up the best you can. If not then I guess do whatever you want. :P
It's not about having the fastest AE86 or most clean, but really just about having the car that you enjoy, right? :)

If you take that 4A-GE you found in the junkyard you really can only use the block/head. Everything else that mounts onto the engine is different, but I'm sure you already knew that. Anyway nice find, it might be usable.

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kiraush » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:23 am

Grant wrote:Well if you are one of those people who really wants a GT-S, and would feel funny about having a GT-SR5 or some other combination, then definitely keep looking and just fix this car up the best you can. If not then I guess do whatever you want. :P
It's not about having the fastest AE86 or most clean, but really just about having the car that you enjoy, right? :)

If you take that 4A-GE you found in the junkyard you really can only use the block/head. Everything else that mounts onto the engine is different, but I'm sure you already knew that. Anyway nice find, it might be usable.

Yea, I knew it mounted a bit different, that's why I didn't jump on it that second.
Before I do anything with it I'm going to head out to Grants Pass (a few cities over) where they have a huge "You pick you pay" yard and pray to the car gods that I can find a newly wrecked MR2

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kiraush » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:34 pm

Bumpdate!
Big things coming soon.

trigun402
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby trigun402 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:39 pm

Oh, yes. Big things. :D

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kiraush » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:45 am

trigun402 wrote:Oh, yes. Big things. :D

So excited! :D

Morgan86
Club4AG Regular

Postby Morgan86 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Super nice car" same year model and color as mine :)".

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Kiraush
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Kiraush » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:01 am

Bumpdate!
Still trying to hunt down some parts I need for the swap, but have some sourced already.