club4ag opinions on suspension

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
JapaneseDeman
Club4AG Enthusiast

club4ag opinions on suspension

Postby JapaneseDeman » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:05 am

hey guys,

long time member and auto crosser here. I just wanted to throw up an opinion poll for the masses on new suspension ideas.

I've been auto crossing in the wiregrass region scca solo2 for about 8+/- years i'm fairly familiar with the rules and stipulations towards car modifications and limitations.
HOWEVER, with our scca group they're a little slack on the rules because we're so small.

anyways, that's neither here nor there. I'm about to sell my coilover's I've been running for a couple of years to a friend who's completely revamping his Levin coupe, and I've been looking into new suspension for a little now. I've been running the lowest model megan coilover's for quite some time. despite the hate on the internet, I enjoyed them, a little stiff for daily driving but it wasn't bad at all. and they were great at auto x. I loved the way they handled.
here's my dilemma.

I'm debating between the BC model coilovers and the PBM (Powered by Max) coilovers. similar prices and i'm familiar enough with the style of them.

I know most auto crossers will say go Koni yellow's and trd springs, etc. However, I don't want just a strut and spring combo. I'd prefer coilovers for the height adjustability, and I've been daily driving mine long enough, I've become fond enough of it.

I know we have a regional champion on here for EP class, sorry bro I don't remember your screen name on here, but Taka Aono was a regional or national champion as well.

i'm curious about those who've road raced and auto crossed about their particular opinions and feelings towards different setups and what would presumably be preferable.
Would the original spring beside the strut in the rear be preferable? I've been running that as long as I've been into the ae86 chassis. However, I hear WONDERFUL things about full coilover rear suspension setups. Would just like some feedback before I bite the bullet.

thanks in advance guys.

chohdog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: club4ag opinions on suspension

Postby chohdog » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:14 pm

So, I'll move this post because it should be in tech talk, not here. I'll answer you now though and leave it here so you can find it.

Megans are for street cars that need to be slammed, and nothing else. All the manufacturers you mentioned as a replacement are also all made in China, with poor valving. Quality control might be ok, but any SERIOUS motorsport enthusiast will not use those products. They feel good to you because you haven't tried good suspension.

Taka won the championship on Koni yellow with custom make coilovers and rear TRD springs. There's a guy on this forum that will weld you the coilovers (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7366), and T3 will do it for you as well. There's NO reason you shouldn't use one of these custom coilover setups, especially since it costs the same, if not less than a Chinese/Taiwanese coilover.

Formula:
Cusco or ground control coilover sleeve, top hat
Tein, Cusco, T3 camber plates
Koni 8610 motorsport strut, front application
Koni rear mustang or camaro shock, short stroke application
TRD rear spring
T3, cusco, or BV roll center adjusters

Minus the RCA, that is almost the exact setup Taka used to win FSP. Mind you he's an amazing driver, so 95% of it was his driving, but this a comparable setup.

JapaneseDeman
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: club4ag opinions on suspension

Postby JapaneseDeman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:13 am

I was thinking it needed to go into tech talk but I wasn't 100% sure anymore, the new forums are different than the old and I had a pretty good feel on where to go with most any question on it.
anyways, sorry about that. i'll move it if you don't CHO. thanks for the input. I've read a lot of reviews that that is a superior setup. I just don't know about their dependability on the streets.......
anyway, thanks cho. i'll move this and we can continue the conversation there.