Starting Issue AE92 GT-S

Anything about cars, as long as it's clean...
No offensive language, no profanity, no nudity, nothing that your mom will slap you for...
Be nice to others.
Noxi

Starting Issue AE92 GT-S

Postby Noxi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:40 pm

Hey all, I'm looking to see if anyone can help me with an issue I've been having.
My girlfriend and I bought a 1990 GT-S 114K miles, pretty clean in and out. Unfortunately, she won't love the car until this is sorted out :/
The problem is, on a cold engine when you turn the key it seems that it's sending power to the starter, but nothing happens. Then after about 2-10 tries (it varies that widely) it starts cranking no problem and starts right up (does crank a little more than the carbureted 4af SR5 I have). But, once the engine is warm it has no problem starting after being shut off.
I have no idea what the problem is, the battery is a few months old, I can't think of where to start.

The car runs beautifully as expected from a 4age.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Ava92
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Starting Issue AE92 GT-S

Postby Ava92 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:37 am

my ae92 used to do this when it had 4AFE engine. it was the clutch interlock just being finicky. not sure if this is the problem on yours, but i just got in the habit of holding the key on "Start" and THEN pushing the clutch, and the problem went away. This could be a long shot, if not i hope you fix your problem. nice looking ae92

Noxi

Re: Starting Issue AE92 GT-S

Postby Noxi » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:32 pm

Ava92 wrote:my ae92 used to do this when it had 4AFE engine. it was the clutch interlock just being finicky. not sure if this is the problem on yours, but i just got in the habit of holding the key on "Start" and THEN pushing the clutch, and the problem went away. This could be a long shot, if not i hope you fix your problem. nice looking ae92

Thanks, I'll give it a try. It could also be that the battery is the cheapest one out there (econocraft)
Appreciate the quick reply, I'll see if that works in the morning.